• All around Aesthetics that could possibly work

• An equal balance of both Aesthetics and Practicallity

• Doesn't matter as long as I study (insert art here) correctly

Results are only viewable after voting.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Casey_Sutherland said:
I guess it is like the old adage of the Tiger and the Dragon. When we start our jorney we are more like the Tiger, interested in power and physical readiness. As we train we become more like the Dragon, training for wisdom and perfection in our art.

This is basically why I started. The style of TKD that I do is more Aesthethic but it does have practicality, too.

As far as arts I'd like to try, I did/am hehehehe. I tried Judo for the throws (Instructor stopped teaching though). I do Jujitsu now for the practicality. But I like to try XMA for fun, and the fitness level those guys have to do that stuff (I wouldn't want to give up TKD or Jujitsu for it, so I would have to work it in somehow).

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
Though I did vote that it doesn't matter, I think I lean heavily toward practicality with aesthetics an important contribution to the study of XXXX art. In my opinion aesthetics can, if approached properly help a student to reflect on what they are learning. But if you have to choose between the two, definitely persue practicality.

Just another voice crying in the wilderness.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

AdrenalineJunky

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people do not equate Muay Thai with aesthetics; but anyone who's seen the Wai Khru Ram Muay, has seen the beauty of Muay Thai. Also, I think it is dangerous to talk about what is "practical" What does practical mean; what does effective mean? A MA is only as practical as the circumstances under which it is intended to be used. Muay Thai isn't very effective in a TKD tournament, nor a boxing match, nor Kendo. Boxing may be a very practical form of stand-up striking, but it's not very effective against someone who has a shot-gun.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train practical skills first and foremost and aesthetics to improve on those skills. Aesthetics are usually much more difficult to attain and hence they will make your combat easier for you in the end.

If I had to train in an art purely for the skills and beauty it has to offer I would have to go with Capoeira.

I am certain there is alot in that art that most people don't see at first or second glance and all of the practioners claim it has changed their lives. Plus, it looks like one hel of a workout!

OP
Casey_Sutherland

Casey_Sutherland

Orange Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yup. Iaido is great fun, if you like the aesthetic aspects of the art.

I just recently picked up a book "Iai, The art of drawing the sword" by Darrell Max Craig. It is on the long list of books to read.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started for self defense and I believe what we train is pratical. But now I just train for the fun and camaraderie. So I guess that's aesthetic?

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Originally started for SD, getting in shape and confidence. Some of those goals have remained and others have changed.

Mike
Me too; plus the friendships I've made & the love that I feel for my Kenpo family is as strong as that of my "real" family. :D :asian: