Stepping Out of the Box

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How do you step out of your comfort zone? I used to be the kind of martial artist that was afraid to get too close and kept people at long range. To overcome this I learned to grapple.

I also started competing to get myself out of that complacent mindset that can occur when you train with the same people all of the time. I'm not a horribly competitive person so it took a lot for me to get out there...in fact I used to freeze (literally on the spot) when came time to do a gymnastics routine in front of judges or sing in church.

Personally, I think it is important to shake things up once in a while...what do you do to shake things up?:ultracool

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like your doing much to combat it. Well done.
Personally I fight with lots of different stylists. So, I'll find one that really frustrates me, or who I cannot hook up my techniques on, or who simply beats me up....then I fight them as much as possible!!

Its always a learning experience to step out of your "box".

7sm

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was apprehensive about getting into the fight when I first started. This was overcome for me by the more advanced belts: if I held back, they simply came after me. In a short amount of time, I was able to make the first step toward them.

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think another thing that has helped shake up not just the physical way that I train but also the mental, is training with less traditional martial artists. I train sub grap and kickboxing with people who don't have a ranking system and that was a new way of training for me. Of course, a pecking order does develop, that is natural, but there is no visible hierarchy.

I suppose this shook me up because I still also train in traditional martial arts with belts and kata but I get to see a different perspective when I train with my less traditional cohorts.

Even simply training BJJ with gi and then sub grap with no gi is a nice change...one is not better than the other, just different. I find both equally fun because no gi is faster and more instinctual, whereas gi is a thinking man's game - like chess with your body.

It's all good!:D

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I also started a grappling style because I felt my previous system was lacking in that area. As we mature as martial artists we are better able to evaluate ourselves and even our style to find areas in which we may improve.

Our biggest challenge is not truly recognizing our avenues of advancement. It is in finding the force of will to embark down those avenues. Even experienced, intelligent black belts often linger with what is comfortable instead of making the investment of self necessary for positive change.

Certainly, this isn't unique to the martial arts community but is instead pervasive throughout humanity. I would like to believe we as martial artists develop a spirit of awareness and determination that allows us to, as you say, step out of the box.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was training capoeira, I was intimidated by the Roda. It is a very spontaneous, and even playful experience, but the speed, coupled with my lack of understanding of the art at the time, made it very intimidating. Finally, I just realized that I would never develop my skill if I didn't get in there and get my butt kicked a few times, so I just gritted my teeth and started jumping in to play as much as I could. Eventually my skill improved and I didn't feel like a fool anymore, and I really grew to enjoy it. Once you enjoy it, you can't be kept away!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Boxing used to petrify me. Through determination, perseverence and really listening to what my instructor was telling me I got beyond that to a point where I don't break out in a sweat anymore.

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
...I got beyond that to a point where I don't break out in a sweat anymore.

Ahhh, but you should be sweating!:wink2: (j/k, I know what you meant)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I shake things up by doing 'other' things. For instance when training, people get in the habit of doing technique A or movement A when they see their attacker do attack B. They do that because the "Know" how to do that easily. I say "Do something different!" This means moving unexpectedly, using different approaches causes the mind to function more freely so that you are not bound by what you already know. There is always more than one way of dealing with an attack or situation. Work through it slowly. Then move to something else. Of course our training methods are different than many, so this is based on the way we train.

Icewater

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to fight a variety of body sizes and different styles. I have friends that take different styles that come to the house and spar. I like to go against my instincts at times to see how it works out. And sometimes I just pull out some ran-dam-fu to see how some unorthodox moves will work. Mostly they look stupid and are completely useless. But I have found a few that are good. If I didn't act a fool occasionally, I wouldn't have them in my repertoire today.

Try this one out. Next time you practise bear hugs and the like, just start shaking your entire body like a wet rat in their hands unexpectedly. Not always, but many times I've gotten people to let go voluntarily.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the longest time I had a hard time of falling (phobia), especially backwards. So when I started this new class that involved throws, I would kind of "yelp". Eventually, I faced my fear after just doing it several times, and I have no problems.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
How do you step out of your comfort zone? I used to be the kind of martial artist that was afraid to get too close and kept people at long range. To overcome this I learned to grapple.

I also started competing to get myself out of that complacent mindset that can occur when you train with the same people all of the time. I'm not a horribly competitive person so it took a lot for me to get out there...in fact I used to freeze (literally on the spot) when came time to do a gymnastics routine in front of judges or sing in church.

Personally, I think it is important to shake things up once in a while...what do you do to shake things up?:ultracool

I think that the best way to overcome something is to just do it. Starting off slowly of course, and gradually building up to the desired comfort level. Of course, changing up a workout by doing something different will also keep things new and fresh!

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Icewater said:
Try this one out. Next time you practise bear hugs and the like, just start shaking your entire body like a wet rat in their hands unexpectedly.

Try this... next time they go to put you in a bear hug, turn your torso/hips at that moment so you change the shape they were expecting (basically put a shoulder in the middle of their centerline). That will screw it up from the start! HAHAHHAHA :D I bet it won't take much. Maybe 45 degrees of rotation. Just enough they feel they are having to reach across you rather than around you.

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so many of us have trained new techniques or just thrown ourselves at something that scared us. How about changing instructors to shake things up? Going from a TMA perspective to a non-TMA or vice versa?

I know for me, personally, I train with both at the same time and it can sometimes make you a little confused. I think that sort of "unbalance" can do great things for your training because you don't go into every class shutting your mind off and auto-pilot on. I know bringing some of my kickboxing techniques into karate style sparring has frustrated my opponents and taken my actual "fighting" to a new level.

Anyone else throw seminars, instructionals or even changing instructors altogether into their journey outside the box?

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eternal Beginner said:
Anyone else throw seminars, instructionals or even changing instructors altogether into their journey outside the box?
Absolutely! I love seminars and watching/participating in other styles. I'm not interested in changing Kenpo instructors, for me it is not realistic with time constraints and financially to pay two tuitions, but I think there is a lot to be learned from other instructors and students of there styles as well as my own style. I love watching videos and learning from anyone I can about what they do. Occasionally I have participated with friends and family members who study other styles. Martial Talk is an excellent place to begin your exploration, because of the exposure to and availability of different styles represented here. Any of these things can help to bring a fresh perspective or sometimes confirm your beliefs. For me, learning is what keeps it exciting! :partyon:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've gone to numerous seminars, and fairly recently started doing another art as well as TKD. I don't find it confusing, it just gives me more insight.

OP
Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just to add to the "out of the box" topic, I have decided not to use any of my favourite or "surefire" techniques until the New Year. I have a couple of sweeps and submissions that I can nail pretty reliably and I have banned them until I can get others to work on a more consisitent basis. It'll meen getting subbed a lot in practice, but that will help me work on my counters anyway.;)

We have a big tournament coming up in February and because I have fought most of these girls a couple of times already I want to bring a new game to it. But you know what? I'm finding it is hard teaching an old dog new tricks!!:)

TLHisComing

White Belt
Reaction score
When I first started training I hated getting into punching range. I would always keep people at leg distance. So i began to force myself to limit the kicks to short range things such as sweeps and jams and began to develop my hand speed after a while it just came more and more natural now im comfortable at either distance. Another drill i like to use is have both fighters seated across from each other within hand strike range and have them spar like that... makes for some interesting matchs to see how good your blocks and traps really are when you cant side step.

Latest Discussions