Why do you like martial arts training?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As I sit here with a candy induced state of euphoria on Halloween night. I cannot help but think to myself how much I enjoy training in the martial sciences. Most of all I enjoy the tough training the building of spirit, physically feeling effecting, comraderie, history, mental training, teaching, watching people grow and how great it feels when you put the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of the martial sciences together.

So I thought I would ask :

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I sit here with a candy induced state of euphoria on Halloween night. I cannot help but think to myself how much I enjoy training in the martial sciences. Most of all I enjoy the tough training the building of spirit, physically feeling effecting, comraderie, history, mental training, teaching, watching people grow and how great it feels when you put the physical, mental and spiritual aspects of the martial sciences together.

Because when it comes all together and you move and it is all without thought and it is reaction, and you are in the right place at the right time, it is just such a Zen moment for me that I smile and keep training.

I also enjoy teaching, and seeing people learn. :)

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because when it comes all together and you move and it is all without thought and it is reaction, and you are in the right place at the right time, it is just such a Zen moment for me that I smile and keep training.

I also enjoy teaching, and seeing people learn. :)

Rich that is an awesome post!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I could give the first answer that popped into my head

I just love the looks of terror on their faces as I enter the room :)

But I would not be serious.

You know I truly can't say, I just do. I will have to give that some thought.

Good question Brian

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like MA training for reasons very similar to the reasons I enjoyed downhill skilling: in both cases it feels as though I'm actually creating something, some embodiement of a beautiful abstract pattern, every time I put a set of moves together well. It's not that different from what a musician feels like in performing a piece created by a great composer: the score for the piece exists in some abstract realm, but its up to the performer to give it a living shape. The kata, hyungs, forms or whatever of the MAs are like that, abstract patterns that are waiting there for us to bring into being in time. When you do them right, you really feel as though you're giving a worthy concrete form to some previous master's profound discovery about how to guide and shape the action around you. (Doesn't happen at that level all that often, but when it does... !!!)

But the other side of the coin is that you get plenty of scope for improvisation, and an improvisation which meets a challenge is very satisfying, because it tells you that you've learned a bit of the craft---you can use the resources of the art as tools in real time. A sparring match or self-defense scenario in which you use the means and techniques of your art to emerge victorious gives you the feeling that you really do have some understanding of it, that you have a bit of a grasp, at least, of the basic relations.

And the last part is maybe the best: the physical sensations of a very hard workout, a sharply fought bit of sparring, the immediate body feelings of skillful, honest labor.

Put 'em all together and, well.... :)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I train because because it is something that I can do just for me. As selfish as that sounds, let me explain what I mean by that statement. When I am in class, there is nobody that can make me get a techinique, they can help direct me to that end, but it is up to me to follow the direction and actively strive to have that technique "click." Sometimes it is so tough I just want to toss my hands up and give up, but that even helps me because I have to: narrow my focus, slow down, "see" what I want, then figure out how to get there. Being one who has sometimes fought, other times embraced my ADD, MA's helps me to maintain the focus I need to work in harmony with that shortcoming, both in the dojo and outside it's walls. I cannot go to training for anybody else, I cannot train to make others happy; I have to go for me, which in turn helps those I live with, work with, and train with.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love the hard physical training, the confidence it has given me, the friends I have made, the mentors that have taught me and given me so much, and the great feeling of helping others through the martial arts.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
So you can go to a party and show off some techniques with chicks :)

Because I have a daughter (my wife can do better than me ;P) and feeling that I could help in moment of danger makes me feel better.
Moreover sets some goals that are hard to find in regolar life. If you don't work hard you don't get to the point and if you become lazy your body starts regressing, thus it is something that won't let you gain through "brown-nosing" or shortcuts. Just you and your hard work.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

For me... You pretty much described it.

It is a feeling that is hard to put into words. I don't train to defend myself, since the likelihood of being assaulted is slim. I don't train for physical fitness, because ninjas are lazy and are always trying to be so damn efficient, so it ain't for the workout. It tempers the spirit and acts as a compass to guide one through life's challenges. For me it keeps me balanced.

I train as if my life depends on it... My life does depend on my training.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that I just like to learn. I honestly can't pin it down either. Partly for a workout, partly to learn, partly for defense - in the rare occasion that I may need it...I just enjoy it and can't keep myself away.

I have trained on and off my entire life, but this is one thing that I just keep being drawn back to for some reason.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never been sure... from the time I started, something just clicked. Part of it, I think, is that when I started TKD, that was the first time in my life that I actually enjoyed a physical activity, and enjoyed improving skills and learning new ones enough to practice. Whatever my day is like, TKD is a time apart - it is the one activity that truly allows me to leave the stressors in my life at the door, and I value that. There might be another activity out there that could have that effect, but I don't know what it is...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Because it makes it easier for me to beat people up.

It sounds shallow, and I guess in some aspects it is. But other aspects of my life fulfill the more mental and spiritual requirements of my life, and other forms of exercise keep me fit, healthy and strong. I only do martial arts so that, when I have to, I can physically dominate other people.

Being able to do that lends a certain amount of confidence, which in turn means I am less likely to start a fight to assuage my injured pride, and means I feel a certain responsibility to help where I can and prevent fights where it is possible. If I didn't feel it was important to be as competent as possible at 'fighting' then I wouldn't be in the martial arts.

Having said that though, I also 'train' (play would be a more accurate description) with various weapons I'll never use in a self defense situation like the quaterstaff, nunchaku, throwing stars and so on. It's not what I'd call martial arts, but I gain a certain amount of satisfaction from mastering a difficult skill or trick.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Self defense/confidence, the physical workouts, the chance to meet and train with some fantastic people, constantly being challenged to think and learn and the chance to help others along their Martial Arts journey. :)

Mike

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Brian

I have actually spent some time thinking about your question that was brought on by your candy induced state of euphoria and I keep come up with the same thing.

I just do that is all.

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ive only been training off and on (due to injuries and relocating) for a little while, and already my reasons have changed. When I first started, probably for self defense. For whatever reason, that isn't really much of a factor anymore. Id now say just because it is addictive and I love to do it! I also really dig seeing my improvements and accomplishing new goals.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brian

I have actually spent some time thinking about your question that was brought on by your candy induced state of euphoria and I keep come up with the same thing.

I just do that is all.

I think this is the point...MA actually become part of your life and you just do it, like you brush your teeth, you comb your hair, play with your kids, go to work...
I think MA stops being a "hobby" after a while and become an integral part of everybody's life. I think many people don't even "enjoy" it anymore, it is so much in their persona that they just do it.

Kinda hard to explain...I don't mean people get bored LOL ok never mind
hope you got my idea LOL.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me it is the persuit of perfection, that can never be reached, but is what we all strive to recieve.

The journey is the beginner of the never ending road.

One can never quit until perfection is reached and perfection can never be reached so one can never end.

This is way I train and this is whay my famiy trains, I hope that this is why my students train.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me it is the persuit of perfection, that can never be reached, but is what we all strive to recieve.

The journey is the beginner of the never ending road.

One can never quit until perfection is reached and perfection can never be reached so one can never end.

This is way I train and this is whay my famiy trains, I hope that this is why my students train.

With you leading them down this path Terry, I am sure this is the reason most of your students train as well. Wish I was closer to Texas, I think you would be an instructor I would enjoy learning from.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could easily say because I love the workout, or to teach, or the confidence it gives me but what it comes down to is I belive God gave us certain gifts and abilities. When I train and learn I feel that I am gifted in that area and I get great satisfaction when I know I am where I am suppose to be.