Why answer posts about topics you have no interest in?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im just wondering why people sometimes answer or respond to posts about topics that they have no interest in. For instance, I am not going to join in on a discussion about interior decoration. Why? Because interior decoration is a field I have no interest in. Therefore I really couldn't give any meaningful feedback and so I would simply not enter in on such a discussion. Such a conversation would be for people who are interested in interior decoration and who maybe want to pursue it as a career, since that wouldn't be me I wouldn't participate in such a conversation.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering why people sometimes answer or respond to posts about topics that they have no interest in. For instance, I am not going to join in on a discussion about interior decoration. Why? Because interior decoration is a field I have no interest in. Therefore I really couldn't give any meaningful feedback and so I would simply not enter in on such a discussion. Such a conversation would be for people who are interested in interior decoration and who maybe want to pursue it as a career, since that wouldn't be me I wouldn't participate in such a conversation.
we do not see.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Same reason we have to tell people we are ignoring them or rage quitting off a thread.

Because otherwise how would they know?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because someone disagrees with a post, or thinks a post is ridiculous, doesn't mean they don't have any interest in the subject. Maybe they think the subject is interesting, even if a post or posts are idiotic.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reply to some threads so I can learn from it, may find interest by the end of the conversation, who knows. It also draws out more information.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
why people sometimes answer or respond to posts about topics that they have no interest in?
You can always try to redirect a boring subject into an interested subject. For example, a simple "roundhouse kick" clip discussion can be redirected into.

- How to counter a roundhouse kick?
- When your opponent counter your roundhouse kick, what should you do?
- Why TKD roundhouse kick is different from MT roundhouse kick?
- How to generate maximum power in that kick?

Of course if your "redirect" intention fail, you can always leave that thread quitely.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to stay away from threads that people just put up a clip without any words. For those kind of threads, I don't know the OP's "intention" whether it's

- open for discussion (different opinions are encouraged), or
- I talk and you listen (different opinions are not welcome).

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same reason we have to tell people we are ignoring them or rage quitting off a thread.

Because otherwise how would they know?

How people know if you're ignoring them simple, if you aren't doing anything and if you aren't answering their posts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can always try to redirect a boring subject into an interested subject. For example, a simple "roundhouse kick" clip discussion can be redirected into.

Of course if your "redirect" intention fail, you can always leave that thread quitely.

OK well lets say for whatever reason I don't like the roundhouse kick or its a move I usually don't use. I am not going to enter in on the conversation and make posts about how I don't prefer the technique, or maybe I might just make one post about how the roundhouse doesn't work that well for me but then I would move on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think it is the posters who contribute something like. "this thread is dumb." Rather than agree or disagree with the topic.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK well lets say for whatever reason I don't like the roundhouse kick or its a move I usually don't use. I am not going to enter in on the conversation and make posts about how I don't prefer the technique, or maybe I might just make one post about how the roundhouse doesn't work that well for me but then I would move on.
The best guideline is always "If you have nothing better to say, don't say it". If you can't add into positive energy, or change negative energy into positive energy, just stay away.

Since we are on this subject,

- what do you guys think about someone starts a thread with a clip without words?
- If someone has bad opinion on a clip, should he put up his own clip to prove that he can do better?

Your thought?

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude, I have been skimming your posts a little here in the past....and there is no nice way to ask this, so I come right out and do it:
Are you 'in the spectrum' of some sorts?
Your posting style is rather unconventional if not socially awkward.....
Plus you are easily offended by posts that are not even directed at you.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Usually if I see something that is not interesting then nothing is my response however I might open the thread anyways. Why? Because I dont understand. Maybe im interested maybe im not. Maybe I might become interested if I just simply pay attention and learn from it and if not I have an opportunity to learn from it.

Latest Discussions