Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is intersting at least to me, Mr. Tom Kelley has been offered on several occassions a 10th degree black, and he has turned them all down. To this day he is still 9th degree, he says he doesn't except the 10th because Mr. Parker was 10th degree and that anyone else who studies Parkers Kenpo should not recieve a 10th degree black.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is intersting at least to me, Mr. Tom Kelley has been offered on several occassions a 10th degree black, and he has turned them all down. To this day he is still 9th degree, he says he doesn't except the 10th because Mr. Parker was 10th degree and that anyone else who studies Parkers Kenpo should not recieve a 10th degree black.

To my knowledge Skip has also refused any "rank advancement" since Mr. Parker died.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why does rank matter when discussing who will impact EPAK the most over the next 10 years? I'd think actions and impact matter more than the amount of red.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why does rank matter when discussing who will impact EPAK the most over the next 10 years? I'd think actions and impact matter more than the amount of red.

You're right, it doesn't matter. I think Kenpo17 was simply pointing out that it is interesting that some of the inidividuals who others consider "most impactful" have taken a stance on rank advancement.

I was simply adding another talented individual who has taken the same stance.

Bob White

Green Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only impact on Kenpo anyone should be striving for, is their own, and their students if they teach. If I and my students are more than competent, than I've done what I'm supposed to do, and hope they will do the same. that's how you have a positive impact. There's all kinds a way many are having an impact, and most of it is already negative.

I agree with Doc but I also believe it is our responsibility to continue to serve our art. Ultimately the only thing we really control is ourselves but there is no doubt that as an instructor there is a strong influence presented. The responsibility is to try and present something of value.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, it's been more than 10 years and we now have the answer - nobody. That's not to say there aren't some good people doing good things, but those are good people who are doing goods things with kenpo being a conduit to help serve their communities, like my good friend Bob White and his wife who do a tremendous job and have impacted thousands over the years in a positive way.

Kenpo helps them do that, but the art itself as a whole is stagnant with very little if any positive change. God bless Bob for keeping the right spirit moving forward and shining such a positive light on what the art can do for others that has nothing to do when personal rank or stripes on a dam belt.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it's been more than 10 years and we now have the answer - nobody. That's not to say there aren't some good people doing good things, but those are good people who are doing goods things with kenpo being a conduit to help serve their communities, like my good friend Bob White and his wife who do a tremendous job and have impacted thousands over the years in a positive way.

Kenpo helps them do that, but the art itself as a whole is stagnant with very little if any positive change. God bless Bob for keeping the right spirit moving forward and shining such a positive light on what the art can do for others that has nothing to do when personal rank or stripes on a dam belt.
Hind sight 20/20, Mark Zuckerberg had quite an impact. :)

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I am glad that there are many individuals experimenting and moving things forward. I am saddened that the majority of Kenpo is anchored in tradition and stagnant. This stagnation was exactly what I ranted about so often 10 years ago. Too much veneration of the past and not enough innovation for the future. :(

Latest Discussions