Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?

Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years

• Tom Kelly

• Steve LaBounty

• Paul Mills

• Mike Pick

• Huk Planas

• John Sepulveda

• Chuck Sullivan

• Larry Tatum

• Frank Trejo

• Somebody else -- please name in your reply

Results are only viewable after voting.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, enough arguing about the past. Let's look to the future! Who do you think will have the greatest impact on Kenpo over the next 10 years? I've listed a few of today's many prominent Kenpoists. Please vote and comment about who and why.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You might as well have asked whom our instructor is. My instructor is Professor Other (Ha Ha) and I really can't comment on the teachings of others. However, Paul Mills would be my choice, (only through listening to my instructor rave about him)but before I qualified my statement I chose Other.
Sean

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr. Mills and the AKKI (of which, it should be noted, I am a member) are really shaking things up and doing some great work! Am I biased? Could be, but I still think it's true. If anyone knew the rate at which Mr. Mills and those privaleged to assist him, are making up-grades/inovations and putting out thousands of hours of instruction in same every year...I'd think they'd be amazed and be persuaded to agree with me.
It's very impressive.
I'm persuaded to be in the AKKI because of what I know/believe about them and it's leadership (Paul Mills)... I don't 'believe' in them because I am one of them. Make sense??
hope so...
There's lots of great names in the broader world of Kenpo, no doubt. Those listed above are all doing fine stuff! But for my vote it's gotta be Mr. Mills!
Your Brother
John

PS: Though JD Nelson is probably correct and there will be detractors and even flamers, I hope we can all stay above that and keep it positive...know that we are all just posting our opinions.

Attachments

• $millsphoto.gif
    $millsphoto.gif
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,859

Brian Jones

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree, I think Paul Mills will continue to have a great impact on American Kenpo. He stays true to teh Kenpo concepts principles etc., yet is constantly looking to new ways to innovate and keep Kenpo from becoming static or stale.
Of course that's just my opinion. That being said I also think its really difficult to say who will have the greatest impact. For one we all tend to be a bit partisan, and there is nothing wrong with that. Secondly we need to knwo what type of "impact" are we talking about? Change and innovation, promoting the art, keeping things the way they were before Mr. Parker died etc.
Another interesting question is that who do we see becmoing the leaders of Kenpo beyond the seniors and 1st generation students?

Brian Jones

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is certainly going to be a controversial thread, but lets look at this logically....

Mr Parker was an innovator, always improving and updating his Kenpo system, and encouraging others to do the same.

Sadly, he's no longer with us, but he left us the Kenpo.

The question is, who is actually innovating and updating their Kenpo now?

I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but if you're still teaching and/or learning the Kenpo you were doing in 1990, why are you freewheeling?

My vote went to Mr Paul Mills, who always finds the time to help students whenever possible, but I'd like to mention a few people who most of you probably won't have heard of:

Mr Richard Matthews, 5th Degree Black, of Jersey, Channel Islands, Europe

Mr Gary Ellis, 7th Degree Black, of England, Europe

Mr Ingmar Johansson, 4th Degree Black, of Sweden, Europe

Les

S

Shiatsu

I agree with the Paul Mills vote.

However I think a lot of the seniors wouldn't. Well one off of the top of my head that I have spoke to.

But either way, I like the way he is taking things with the weapons curriculum, and even some grappling techniques. I have not seen a bad AKKI black belt yet.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiatsu
I agree with the Paul Mills vote.

However I think a lot of the seniors wouldn't.

You're probably right there, but even with the 'seniors' opinions will differ I guess.

Skip Hancock, in his book 'Mastering Kenpo; The Path to Excellence' uses the phrase "Paul Mills, who I admire most in the world of Kenpo"

He also mentions Mike Pick, Sandy Sandoval, and Frank Trejo.

Les

S

Shiatsu

I know what you are saying. Opinions are like A-holes everyone has one. But I like what Paul Mills is doing with the art. I also like Docs work.

But who really cares what others think. Do what works for you. That is all that really matters in the end anyway.

Obviously Mr. Mills is doing something right, becuase I have yet to see a black belt of his that I wasn't impressed with.

Well one, but oh well, that is moot.

He has some great instructors and students in his system.

I also like the way that Sigung LaBounty does things.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shew! This topic could really get heated up quickly. I do agree however people will be biased towards their own instructors especially if we all haven't met each name on the list plus the ones that are not on this list.:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiatsu
Yup, this probably opened a can of worms.:D
Shew! This topic could really get heated up quickly.
I know that you are probably right about the can O' worms, but it hasn't gotten so heated yet I don't think.
It really doesn't have to. It's no secret that there's lots of partisan-ship in the Kenpo world. It doesn't surprise me at all that some seniors feel one way or the other about Mr. Mills, or any other high ranking 1st gen student. Some of the most credible, high-ranking students or Mr. Parker's are 'disaproved of' by other credible, high-ranking students of Mr. Parker. This will probably go on for a while; wish it wasn't like that really. Unfortunate.
Politics is the cancern in the veins of Kenpodom. We students of the 1st gens can either make it worse... or begin healing it. The ball is kinda in our court that way.

Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a student of Mr. Mills, but my vote goes to him. IMO, he, from what I've seen and read, has done alot for the art. Seems to me that hes improved many of the techs., and has really dug into the weapons aspect as well as the ground fighting!

Mike

hector

White Belt
Reaction score
My vote is for Larry Tatum. I have many reasons but I don't want to hurt susceptibilities and to derive in the eternal discussion of these forums of who is better. He knows my reasons and with that I have enough.

I wanted to deepen the topic in the sense of understanding that the responsibility doesn't only in one person, but rather it is a task of all those that practice kenpo, independent of the degree ,asociación, teacher, country.
We are positive agents of innovation and change, in the measure that we expand our knowledge, develop the mind and the spirit, strengthen our culture and education and finally if we are able to understand the wisdom and teachings of our Teachers, we will understand that we are part of a process and that sooner or later we will have to assume a protagonism in the continuity of the Art.

Hector

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread above the belt.

I would like to hear a little more about WHY people think a particular person will have the most impact.

For instance, do those who think Paul Mills will be most impactful believe it is because he is adding new concepts and techniques and revising the curriculum?

Do those who voted for John Sepulveda believe it is because he is doing such great outreach and because he is incorporating grappling and kickboxing into training methods without altering the Kenpo curriculum?

Do those who voted for Larry Tatum believe it is because he is providing the deepest insights into the Kenpo Mr. Parker had devloped as of the 1980's?

I'd really love to hear more of the whys? Thank you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted for Mr. Mills because I feel that he is probably one of the more open minded Kenpo Inst. out there. He is always looking for ways to better the art, and keep it moving forward. He has taken some of the techs. as I said, and refined them, making them better. Hes focused alot on weapons, which IMO is very important. The stick and knife seem to be something that hes done alot with. And, hes also brought the ground work into the art. IMO, he is really offering a complete package.

Again, let me say, that I am not a student of him. I'm going on what I've discovered. I'm sure someone like Bro, John, who is a student in the AKKI, would be able to give a much more detailed description.

Mike

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
The several reasons I voted for Mr. Mills:
1. The quality of the information and insights that he gives out. In attending the Biannual Vegas Camp (not nearly enough I might add) I’ve seen first hand the insights and quality instruction not only from Mr. Mills but from each of his students.

2. The innovations and alterations of the Kenpo
curriculum. I won’t go into a great deal of detail on this (unless you e-mail me, then I might let you know my thoughts on it) but suffice it to say that what little bit of Mr. Mills vision that I’ve been exposed to and can comprehend…it’s fascinating. It’s this kind of logic, pragmatism and ingenuity that attracted me to American Kenpo in the first place; and I’ve not seen it in such quantity nor quality anywhere but in Mr. Mills and those who lead the AKKI.

3. The excellent club and knife work!!! If you’ve not experienced a Mills knife or club seminar, you are missing something! He’s incredible with either weapon! What’s more, he can pass that quality and knowledge on to those who will listen and work at it; it’s evident in what they can do as well.

4. The proficiency of those who have come to him for instruction. This is one of the biggest things to draw me into the AKKI. I’ve met many excellent practitioners of the martial arts, masterful in knowledge and skill. The ability to cultivate that kind of excellence and proficiency is rare, the ability to engender it in others…that’s very rare. In attending the Vegas camps I was blown away at the vast number of people that can impress me with their ability! Not just Mr. Mills and his direct students, but even two three generations down the line from Mr. Mills. The story’s been told to me that the people who initially came to Mr. Mills and wanted to form the AKKI did so because they simply told him “I want to move like that and be able to do what you do.”…and he’s doing it for them. Grandmaster Mills is having a huge impact on the students in his association, from his first generation students on down.

5. Did I mention the new weapons material?? New sets w/ weapons, techs for weapons, forms w/weapons, drills w/weapons… it’s very very good.

6. Ground-fighting. In all actuality its even more than just ground fighting, there are very good choking techniques being incorporated too.
New tools for teaching. Hard to explain but stuff like the timing patterns and rhythmic phrasing and other such concepts that Mr. Mills has incorporated into our Kenpo experience to bring on greater proficiency sooner. It really works. There’s a plethora of other principles and concepts and such that Mr. Mills has defined that help us a great deal as well. Check this out for a bit more info on this: http://www.akki.com/articles/akkiconcepts.htm

7. Good leadership. If you join, you are family. Mr. Mills tends to give and give of himself to an incredible extent it seems. Anyone can call him on the phone or e-mail him and get his undivided attention when it’s needed. I recall needing his input/advice on some stuff a couple of times and spending a LONG time on the phone talking and even just rapping with him, and I’m just a little old no-body from Kansas, but while I had his ear he made me feel very important and like he was eager to benefit me in anyway he could. (Kinda cool when the last thing a man says to you before getting to the “OK…take care, goodbye” part of a phone call is “What else can I do for ya?”)

8. The association has a good structure and open lines of communication. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called a regional rep for advice/pointers or some such thing and come away from it with much more than I bargained for!

Anyway…no secret that this is a big “Rah-rah-rah…for my team” sort of post; but it’s good to express your thanks for those that you appreciate and have helped you out. Mr. Mills and the AKKI in general has for me… and if they can for me, who is the least in the association, then imagine what they can do and in fact Do for those even more active and a part of it all than I. That’s why Grandmaster Mills has my vote for the “Who will impact EPAK the most in the next 10 years?” Poll.

Your Brother
John

S

SThiess

Unless the Ego will be eliminated out of this system there will never be the true spirit of the Martial Arts in Kenpo. So I would say none of the above

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah Sven, there is a lot of ego in Kenpo. But if you think that Martial Arts and martial artists exist or are supposed to exist in some Buddhist-Monastery-sublimated-ego-Qui-Chang-Cane-Nirvana...well then you yourself must be living in some kind of 1970's style state of altered consciousness.

Kenpo is not a branch of Buddhism, Shintoism, or Taoism, and ego sublimation is not necessarily a requirement for an effective or interesting martial art. And, the Martial Spirit can manifest itself in many ways -- becoming a selfless monk is one of the least valuable in terms of mastering or progressing a martial art.

Given that, there are those in Kenpo who believe that they are doing the right thing for Kenpo. And there are others who also believe that some Kenpoists are doing the right things for Kenpo.

I'd like to know who everyone thinks is making a difference and why. If you don't think anyone is doing anything good because they are wrapped up in themselves, then you should just quit Kenpo and start doing something else.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SThiess
Unless the Ego will be eliminated out of this system there will never be the true spirit of the Martial Arts in Kenpo. So I would say none of the above

That's a very grandiose and sweeping statement.

What did you base it on?

Have you met and spent time with all (or any) of the suggested candidates, so as to form an objective opinion?

Sure, some of these people have a big ego, but all of them have delivered their Kenpo and earned their reputation.

Personally, I don't see how having an ego prevents them from having an impact on Kenpo, so I'm missing your point.

We weren't asked to vote on their personalities, but on their potential to shape the future of Kenpo.

Les.

PS
On the subject of ego's, why wasn't MY name mentioned? :)

Latest Discussions