Who was Bruce Tegner?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
jukado1 said:
... in fact the original jiu jitsu combined the throwing and grappling of judo, holds and locks, and the striking and kicking to nerve centers and pressure points of atemi waza, The level of specialization that we have now did not really start to the late 1950's before that martial artiest were more well rounded.
Please don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of Mr. Tegners work, and have been since a squirt. However, unless I am horribly mistaken about everything else I have ever read on the subject, jujutsu is not a combo of judo and other stuff, but a principle predecessor. Kano was an accomplished practitioner, who consulted with and recruited other accomplished practitioners, then later culled the material to develop judo from jujutsu.

D.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Please don't get me wrong: I'm a big fan of Mr. Tegners work, and have been since a squirt. However, unless I am horribly mistaken about everything else I have ever read on the subject, jujutsu is not a combo of judo and other stuff, but a principle predecessor. Kano was an accomplished practitioner, who consulted with and recruited other accomplished practitioners, then later culled the material to develop judo from jujutsu.

D.
There is some very good history of both judo's development and on Dr. Jigoro Kano at http://www.judoinfo.com

and a lot more on judo.

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kia Kompoka: Maybe I phrased it wrong, jiu jitsu is with in it self a complete system which teaches hitting, and kicking, throwing, holds locks, ETC, in it's original form.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
John Bishop said:
Jukado would probably be one of the early MMA's of America, first of course being Kajukenbo, 1947. From "Jukado1"s description, it sounds very similiar in concept to Kajukenbo. I know that Bruce was a friend and contemporary of John Leoning (first Kajukenbo instructor on the mainland 1957), and it's obvious that they had some workouts together, since Ricky Nelson is pictured in one of Bruce's book doing the Kajukenbo kata, Pinion 1 (now called Palama Set 1). Bruce was without a doubt someone who deserves more credit then he has been given.
Thank you for saying that. Many of us are martial artists today because of Bruce Tegner's work and I'm glad I'm not the first to be surprised by the current idea of MMA as being "revolutionary". 1947 was a long time before 1993!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But why offer rank in something like "Jukado"? If all you care about is self defense, then rank would likely be unimportant.

Kinda like kickboxing. Kickboxing is a sport, not a martial art. Therefore, there is no black belt in kickboxing. If "jukado" is concerned with only self defense, then earning a black belt would not matter.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the cover of his book, Tegner calls Jukado "Modern jiu Jitsu". I enjoy reading through his various books and have several copies. It's sad that they are mostly out of print.

jukado1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Michigan TKD: Jukado was not meant for pro fighters, But for the general public, People's reasons for studying vary from person to person, some want a hobby, most non pro's want some means of judging their progress, the belt ranking system gives them that option. But you can also study and practice for self defense without having to take the test.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have them all. Many first and second additions. Very interesting stuff. Not what I would want to use as an actual physical study, but other info was intersting

Latest Discussions