Who is Deer Hunting?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The deer season is open now in both MN and WI and lots of my fellows are out chasing bambi. I am not, unfortunately, because I happened to spend all of my "couple's capital" on my fall fishing trips. My brothers are using my guns so maybe that counts in a little way. Anyway, share some stories. Let a poor guy live vicariously...

I plan on going this year for the first time in 15 years or so. Have a tack-driving 270 that is just itching to add some venison steaks and sausage to Scotty's freezer. The season opens a bit odd here in Maine (surprise, surprise) in that there are really 3 different "starts" the 2nd Saturday before the regular season opens is the "youth opener" where you have to be under 16 to carry and hunt that day. Only youth hunters are allowed to take a deer. The Saturday before the regular season is "resident opener" where you have to be a Maine resident to hunt that day. then the regular season opener is Nov 1st and ends Nov 30th. They still have blue laws for hunting so there is NO hunting on Sundays :(. Haven't had a chance yet, but plan on going this week sometime and then spending a few days up to my brothers hunting camper way out in the middle of the "North Maine Woods" during the week of Thanksgiving.

I've never been, but I was thinking about going this year. Save some money on the grocery bill, ya know?

My husband will be going next week. Can't wait for pepperoni, venison jerky. YUM!

I went during archery season. I wouldn't call it hunting, though. More like deer exercising!

Don't even get me started, I AM IN KOREA RIGHT NOW!!! NO hunting what so ever for a year and I don't get home till the first week of May 08 and then to Germany for 3yrs with NO hunting until I come home. I am SO depressed b/c I am an AVID hunter. The one downfall to being military, but hey, I do love what I do. Good Luck to you all and bag one for ME!!!

Chris

I've never been and likely will never go. A friend of mine, also a Kenpoist, hunts like it is an addiction, and shares the product of his kills. I'll just let him do the hunting and enjoy the venison, bear, boar and elk.

I spent 5 days in North Western Oregon with my 7mm slung over my rain drenched shoulder. I was stalking a a pair of deer that were marching up a creek in the middle of a 5 year old clear cut. I was listening to the crunch of brush 200 yards down the hill. When they came to a clearing, and saw that they were on the wrong side of the creek, (cant shoot across water), I started to slowly creep towards them. BANG!! BANG! ... what the.. BANG! The lucky slob that had just walked over the opposite hill suddenly came upon a nice buck and his doe. He cranked off 3 shots into the buck. I helped track it for a couple hours. The bush was so thick, it could have been right in front of us. He finally found it, and I was super disappointed in my luck.

That said, I had a great time hiking in the rain in some of the most colorful country on the planet.

I will probably do a couple of hunts in Georgia and North Florida this year and early next year. I haven't scheduled anything yet, though.

I dont deer hunt but i do chase down thumper. I hope to get out this winter and bag me some rabbits

B

I did the "walk around in the woods and freeze my *** off" thing when I was in the Marines. Now, I rely on my friends who hunt for my venison connection.

I did the "walk around in the woods and freeze my *** off" thing when I was in the Marines. Now, I rely on my friends who hunt for my venison connection.
Kreth, did you do the cold weather training in Norway? That's freezing your *** off for the Corps. Didn't realize that you were a fellow Leatherneck. Semper Fi.

I went cutting wood this morning and got a call from a friend of mine needing help pulling a ten pointer out of the woods. Heavy, heavy deer with a very nice rack...and who doesn't like a nice rack? That's me in the photo with my winter whiskers.

Attachments

• $buck.JPG
    $buck.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 109
Kreth, did you do the cold weather training in Norway? That's freezing your *** off for the Corps. Didn't realize that you were a fellow Leatherneck. Semper Fi.
Right back at ya. I spent a month at the MWTC in Bridgeport, CA; a month at Ft McCoy, WI, an Army reserve base just outside LaCrosse. We also spent a month doing "cold weather" training at the base of Mt. Fuji as part of an Okinawa deployment, but it was in the 50s for most of the month. Then once we had loaded all our gear for the mount out, a blizzard hit the base. With nothing better to do, we had a base-wide snowball fight. At one point I was leading a squad with SEAL attachments, lol. I have no idea what the SEALs were doing up there.

The only reason the SEALs would've been hanging out with Marines would have been to learn a thing or two.:ultracool Every time the cold weather training came up while I was at LeJeune I started looking for detachments to the cent-am theater. Got lucky every time. While most of the unit was freezing things off I was fighting jungle bugs and snakes.

Yesterday was up in the mid 50s low 60s here. I'm surprised Gary got the deer he got with the temp being as high as it was. The wind was calm, though, and that may have helped. I wouldn't have been felling trees otherwise. The last time I had the chance to deer hunt was in '99. That year it was uncommonly hot for deer season and nothing was moving.

Latest Discussions

Back