Who gets people sterotyping all martial arts?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I guess most of us would have had this, but if people know you do Martial Arts do they make stupid gestures and go woootai and make stupid noises, especially if you dont know them very well?!
Alot of the time they automaticly associate your type of Martial Art with one that makes noises and yells alot. I think its amusing since I did do Tae Kwon Do and we did do that, but now I mainly focus on my Wing Chun and we hardly do anything along those lines, the only noise we really make are animal noises and even those are rare (since I havnt got that far yet but only notice through demonstrations).
Still some people really dont realise the connection between a good fighter and making these "noises", somehow its always seen as pointless. I like the idea that they always think its for intimidation and they always riducle how it wouldnt work, well firstly, throw them into that situation and surely if you fighting somebody who's confident and starts making these noises, you will almost certainly link them with some type of MA, making you subconciously weary. Secondly its not always used for intimidation, its used alot to increase self confidence and channel chi. Well, so much for smart ar*e comments from people who know nothing about MA
Any other comments on this?

Regards

M

MartialMom

Most people whose knowledge base is only the stereotypes associated with whatever is being discussed have only that knowledge to draw on, so, that is what they comment on.

I personally find it whenever some of those I talk to online find out I am from Texas, I must live on a ranch, drive a very big truck, have five horses and fifteen head of cattle.(ummm no)

I find it when those who do not practice Yoga find that I do, they all believe that it consists of everyone sitting on their mat indian style with fingers pinched mid air changing OMMMMMMMMM.(again, no)

And yes, I find it when those who do not know me well find that I am a Martial Artist, I must be brutal and angry especially since I'm a female Martial Artist (that one is only true on occasion -wink-)

What I am trying to say is as a typical human response we associated the knowledge base we have to whatever activity or discussion is being presented. If approached by those who's knowledge basis is only stereotypical and wrong, I find it better to attempt to educate them than to become upset at their lack of knowledge. Now, on the flipside of things, those who approach with a true knowledge base and are only there to harass or belittle something they either don't appreciate or want to understand, it's better to walk away shaking your head than let them succeed in obtaining the desired response. Ignorance is acceptable and correctable, stupidity is not.

Have a good day
Sheri

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hollywood has got to be the biggest one on that. Especially comedies and action flick. Then Golden Harvest Productions in Hong Kong comes in a close second.
Third place goes to the idjits that don't have a clue as to what true MA and MA-ist are all about. The ones that do the Bruce Lee "bird-calls" and drop into some ridiculous ma stance and do the "c'mon" gesture to you. To those... ignore them totally and smile knowing that you can sincerely, truly wipe the floor with them anytime you please.
Fourth place would be to the "ignorant" those that get all the info from books/films/video and bar-talk, but at least they don't act stupid and try to challenge you to "see-what you got". They may (or not) listen/believe to what is the true way (read: your experience) of MA is (for you, :rolleyes: please make that distinction) but there's hope. Those are the ones that you'd want to invite to your dojo/school so they at least get educated on it.

Stereotype happens to just about everyone/group. Yea, even unto cavers :D even more so with Martial Arts Cavers... :rolleyes: One guy (teasingly) told me that I could do that "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon -- Chow Yun Fat leap" out of a deep pit. I just smiled and did it the old fashion way, telling him I could but I'd have to kill him because it was seeeecret! :lol:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems to me that the people who have not had personal experience in the arts will formulate their stereotypes based upon what they have seen. Most likely, this will be from movies and television shows. I think that about says it all, as we all know quite well that the way the arts are projected through the mass media is very, very different than the experiences we have had. Movies are, quite simply, a very inaccurate portrayal of what we do.

I don't think that it's reasonable for us, the practitioners, to feel disrespected when faced with these attitudes. The fact is, most people in contemporary society like to have an opinion on just about anything, whether it is informed and justified or not. In fact, I'm sure many of us are guilty of this same practice, even with respect to arts different than our own. :asian:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Third place goes to the idjits that don't have a clue as to what true MA and MA-ist are all about. The ones that do the Bruce Lee "bird-calls" and drop into some ridiculous ma stance and do the "c'mon" gesture to you. To those... ignore them totally and smile knowing that you can sincerely, truly wipe the floor with them anytime you please.
See.... that is me doing that... And anyone on here that knows me in real life will back me up on that, so sometimes, maybe they can fight back a little :D

S

*sic

MartialMom said:
I personally find it whenever some of those I talk to online find out I am from Texas, I must live on a ranch, drive a very big truck, have five horses and fifteen head of cattle.(ummm no)
hmm i thought you would have...

yep its all about Bruce Lee on this one, just ignore it. Corporal Hicks, invite these people to a training session and have them join in, that will show them some appreciation to what you do.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think another question that also comes up as far as stereotyping is that of " Have you ever had to use it? " or " How many fights have you been in?" What is funny is if you answer no to either of the questions they look disappointed at you. To bad they do not understand the true goal of the arts.

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its funny this should come up now as I had this happen to me yesterday.

I voluteered to help out at a youth club and when we got there a friend of mine told the kids to "watch out 'cos she does martial arts!" After that, all I herd from them was "I used to go to Karate and I had to *then they start punching and shouting*" or "Do you have to *insert strange stance/wierd thing/other thing I don't do*". I told them I don't do Karate and I don't do anything like that (politely, of course). They would reply "...but I had to in Karate" or "Oh. Well can you...". They found it hard to understand that I did not do Karate and that all martial arts are not the same as Karate, just named differently.
They also asked a few times about "The Karate Kid" movies and asked if I did things from that. Arrrrrrrrgghh!

I'm used to (even friends) asking about my "Karate" class, but 3 hours of it drives a girl insane! :erg:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kunoichi said:
Its funny this should come up now as I had this happen to me yesterday.
<snip>I'm used to (even friends) asking about my "Karate" class, but 3 hours of it drives a girl insane! :erg:
That's where learning to break boards is for... to smash the table you're sitting at which makes everyone ... go quiet and leave you alone. :wink1:

Kunoichi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
That's where learning to break boards is for... to smash the table you're sitting at which makes everyone ... go quiet and leave you alone. :wink1:
I wish I'd thought of that yesterday!!! :lol:

"Hiiiiiii YA!" *smash* :karate:

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I only tell them this and this alone

"Do not make fun of what you do not understand"

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think Hollywood has helped a lot with stereotyping martial arts. When many normal people think of martial arts they think of an Asian man doing high flying kicks or what not. That is not martial arts at all. They also tend to stereotype that only China, Japan, Korea, and other Asian countries only have martial arts. When people think of martial arts they think karate or kung fu, when that probably makes up only 10% of MA styles.

Martial Arts are not a race or type of kickboxing. Martial Arts include grappling, submission, and wrestling. It also includes ANY martial arts from ANYWHERE from the Earth, not just China or Japan. I actually surprise people when I say I know martial arts but when I fight I do little punching or kicking.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I was talking to someone saying that I had been in a few Kickboxing tournaments. They Proceeded to ask If I did Kick Boxing, I replied "No" (The Only KB class where I am is quite far away) "I take Karate" I asked them if the would like to come down sometime " Why would I?" She replied. and procceded to make standard "Crane hand" movements.

O

OC Kid

I think Hollywierd and most MA movies w the

Wax on Wax off danielsan.:>)

I also think that urban legends are playing a big part

"Are your hands registered as deadly weapons?"

and the always plentiful (This is a true story) ; " I knew a guy in Jail he was a short little guy and I heard that he knew MA.

I asked him and he smiled and pointed to 2 feet prints on the ceiling of his cell"

Yep the legends are out there. Now I got to go practice my Dim Mak.... I dont want to kill anyone so Im going to practice just giving them the flu.

Latest Discussions