Who can name all these 1st Generation American Isshin-Ryu students?

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know the first one but,
?John Bartusevics? ,Russell Best, Tokumura Kensho Sensei (I can't even began to spell his name), Master Harold Mitchum, Master Tom Lewis, Master Clarence Ewing

Victor Smith

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this. I knew Lewis Sensei (my original instructor) was attending a meeting at Mitchum Sensei's yesterday but am surprised to see the photograph already.

Mitchum Sensei was visiting Mr. Lewis dojo when I took my black belt examination in 1979. I received my Sho-dan from Mr. Lewis and the IKC that evening and Mr. Mitchum promoted Mr. Lewis to Seichi-dan the same day.

This photograph brings back man memories.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see Karl Hovey standing in the blue shirt if I'm not mistaken -- and I think I see the back of Wayne Wayland's head.

I've had the chance to train with Tom Lewis in a couple of seminars. He's a very good, very approachable instructor. I also recognize the gentlemen seated in the red shirt, though I can't dredge up his name.

scottie

Green Belt
Reaction score
The guy in the red shirt was Russell Best. Also standing behind Mr. Ewing is Grand Master Phil Little 10th Dan, inheritor of the Harold Long Lineage (black shirt) and Master Doyle Seiber, Student of Masters Long, Harrell, and Mitchum both are my Instructors. I was the guy with the white hat on. We were all looking back someone almost fell walking down the steep, wet hill. What a day!!! Victor Master Lewis was the funniest and a bundle of history. That day may go down as one of the greatest days ever in karate for me.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions