who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a security officer's uniform. And it's one I've been proud to where for nearly a decade now. Too many good men and woman have given their lives wearing it, so I suggest you use a little reverence instead of denigration.
Is that the same uniform which is passed on, or did you get a new one, which you haven't changed in the last ten years, when you signed up?:eggonface::woot:

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
New thread: who thinks they can effectively punch a polar bear?

I think I can!

I'll be wearing this, though, if you don't mind:
IMG_0001.JPG

And maybe this too:
gothic-pauldrons-steel--mw-121261-2.jpg

:D

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

One on one, yes. However, in a street environment, being in top mount (or alternatively knee on belly) is better because you can quickly disengage and get out of dodge if conditions change. The back mount is a very entangled position to be in, especially if the person happens to roll on top of you.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One on one, yes. However, in a street environment, being in top mount (or alternatively knee on belly) is better because you can quickly disengage and get out of dodge if conditions change. The back mount is a very entangled position to be in, especially if the person happens to roll on top of you.

Yes. But you were talking about the most dominant technique in martial arts, not the one that makes most sense in a self defense situation. The back mount is definitely a more dominant technique than the regular mount.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I enjoy comparing the first and last pages of a long thread.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes. But you were talking about the most dominant technique in martial arts, not the one that makes most sense in a self defense situation. The back mount is definitely a more dominant technique than the regular mount.
I have a couple of issues with this post, even as I appreciate the confidence with which it's stated.

First, mount, whether back mount or top mount, are positions. They aren't techniques. Technique is how you transition to or from these positions, or how you attack or defend yourself while in these positions. Passing guard is a technique. Attacking the neck or shoulder is technique. Being in the top mount or back mount is positional.

Second, how are you defining dominant? I agree that back mount is a dominant position, but I don't agree that it's more dominant than top mount. What's the rationale behind your "bold" statement? :)

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of issues with this post, even as I appreciate the confidence with which it's stated.

First, mount, whether back mount or top mount, are positions. They aren't techniques. Technique is how you transition to or from these positions, or how you attack or defend yourself while in these positions. Passing guard is a technique. Attacking the neck or shoulder is technique. Being in the top mount or back mount is positional.

Second, how are you defining dominant? I agree that back mount is a dominant position, but I don't agree that it's more dominant than top mount. What's the rationale behind your "bold" statement? :)

You are of course correct regarding the terminology, and I don't really know why I used the word "technique" the way I did in that post, especially since I know better(having trained grappling since about 2006), and actually used the correct terminology in the previous post. Oh well, probably a result of a combination of the fact that english is not my primary language, and that I wrote the post on a phone while supposed to do something else. :)

Regarding why I consider backmount more dominant than top mount, it has everything to do with options. The person mounted has far less options for defense and for improving his position when backmounted than when top mounted. At least from an self defense/MMA/Vale Tudo perspective.

Also, backmount has traditionally been considered the most dominant position in BJJ, according to at least two of the jiu jitsu books I have, if my memory serves me correct, with positions ranked as follows:

hierarchy2.jpg

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I realize no position is hopeless, you keep fighting. But when mounted by a mounter more skilled, especially a savy, stronger opponent, it's akin to driving a convertible with the top stuck down - as a violent storm hits with thunder, lightning and a hard driving rain.

In a locked in back mount from a skilled opponent - it's akin to driving a convertible with the top stuck down - as a violent storm hits with thunder, ilightning and a hard driving rain - as you get in a head on collision with a big fricken truck.

Latest Discussions