Which workout will give you better health benefit?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was off the pier at Buddy Dive on Bonaire. We were waiting for Sue to finish gearing up, so I handed my fins to Kim and got silly.
Great diving there, the reef is colorful, vibrant, and mobile (lots of sponges and soft coral). Tons and tons of life. Not much in the way of big stuff; you're unlikely to see sharks and rays, but there is a fair population of Hawksbill turtles. Quite a few Tarpon. Big ones. The sign language for Tarpon directly translates as "that's not a shark".
I occasionally do silly stuff. Like forgetting to remove my hat before a wreck dive. That was weird. Every time I exhaled, the bubbles would fill the hat and screw up my trim.

Awesome! Beautiful conditions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You win the jackpot for this, but I would take it further.

You need to not only be in different environments for psychological reasons (which are not "mystical" considerations for the record), in terms of distractions, stresses, andfamiliarities. You should train with different clothes and different shoes.

Heck, if you never did a kata on an incline, you have nothing on understanding what is essential and what is not compared to someone who has. Unquestioned incidentals can weed themselves out from underlying principles really quickly from such training.

I really have to wonder how someone who only trains barefoot on a smooth floor all day can even walk properly in the real world, let alone fight. Train like you live. Live like you train.
Do you really think people who train barefoot have trouble walking in shoes or on normal ground?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
What if you have to fight on rock path barefoot?

What if you have to fight on top of a moving train

There are all sorts of possibilities, but you cannot train for all of them, especially those that are highly unlikely to happen. You are much more likely to be wearing shoes than being barefoot on stones should a confrontation occur

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if you have to fight on top of a moving train

There are all sorts of possibilities, but you cannot train for all of them, especially those that are highly unlikely to happen. You are much more likely to be wearing shoes than being barefoot on stones should a confrontation occur
Wow, I haven’t seen that movie in a long time. Here is another favorite: What if you need to fight UNDER a train?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow, I haven’t seen that movie in a long time. Here is another favorite: What if you need to fight UNDER a train?

Saw "Super Cop" last weekend

And you never know when you may have to fight under a train...against a spear...with a dao

and now I want to watch Jackie Chan's Drunken master movies

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe kick can give you more health benefit that punch can. Kick will require better balance and flexibility.

Here is one of my favor 5 kicks combo - inside crescent kick, side kick, hook kick, roundhouse kick, foot sweep.

my-5-kick-combo.gif

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I believe kick can give you more health benefit that punch can. Kick will require better balance and flexibility.

Here is one of my favor 5 kicks combo - inside crescent kick, side kick, hook kick, roundhouse kick, foot sweep.

my-5-kick-combo.gif

Since a kick is moving larger muscle groups than a punch, then yes it can give you more health benefits, if they are trained equally. However if kicking is not an option the 30-30-30 Heavy Bag Drills will give you a lot of benefit as well

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That was off the pier at Buddy Dive on Bonaire. We were waiting for Sue to finish gearing up, so I handed my fins to Kim and got silly.
Great diving there, the reef is colorful, vibrant, and mobile (lots of sponges and soft coral). Tons and tons of life. Not much in the way of big stuff; you're unlikely to see sharks and rays, but there is a fair population of Hawksbill turtles. Quite a few Tarpon. Big ones. The sign language for Tarpon directly translates as "that's not a shark".
I occasionally do silly stuff. Like forgetting to remove my hat before a wreck dive. That was weird. Every time I exhaled, the bubbles would fill the hat and screw up my trim.

Nice to see you guys also dive. I live in the Philippines just up the mountain from the beach. Good exercise even if you are not doing MA. Took this pic at the pool Tuesday. Dive pool is at the back for training. I am there on busy days like this!

Attachments

• 278540933_781020979544961_3121668486174139973_n.jpg
    278540933_781020979544961_3121668486174139973_n.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 40

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice to see you guys also dive. I live in the Philippines just up the mountain from the beach. Good exercise even if you are not doing MA. Took this pic at the pool Tuesday. Dive pool is at the back for training. I am there on busy days like this!
I assume the exercise you're referring to is walking to the beach while carrying your gear. Once you're in the water, recreational diving generally shouldn't involve much exertion.
What's your training and experience been?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Divemaster. But I always remember rescue diver was demanding to say the least. And yes I know about lack of exertion. Nearly everybody is back in the boat before me. We wade out and beach dive a lot. But I have been in sticky situations with flash storms here where we could no get back in the boat.

Attachments

• orange.JPG
    orange.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 38

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Divemaster. But I always remember rescue diver was demanding to say the least. And yes I know about lack of exertion. Nearly everybody is back in the boat before me. We wade out and beach dive a lot. But I have been in sticky situations with flash storms here where we could no get back in the boat.
Shore diving is great. For OW diving, if I have the choice, shore diving wins.
I'm certified for everything except rebreathers, so I come back up when I am darn good and ready. 😁

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did my 3 miles walking with 560 kicks yesterday. I felt a bit tired afterward. Today, I will do my 3 miles walking with 1680 punches instead.

For me, to kick 560 times is harder than to punch 1680 times. But I can not workout my single leg balance and flexibility through punch only.

I start to understand why some people may call "less kicking MA" as "lazy person's MA". When your both feet are on the ground, you are not developing your balance to the maximum.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I start to understand why some people may call "less kicking MA" as "lazy person's MA". When your both feet are on the ground, you are not developing your balance to the maximum.
Really, who says that, ever watch a boxer working out.... or a BJJ guy....believe me, they are not lazy.

Besides, with that way of thinking, all martial arts are lazy compared to Savate

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really, who says that, ever watch a boxer working out.... or a BJJ guy....believe me, they are not lazy.

Besides, with that way of thinking, all martial arts are lazy compared to Savate
If we compare the following 2 different 3 moves combo:

1. right jab, left hook, right uppercut.
2. right roundhouse kick, right side kick, left back kick.

to do 2 will

- take more energy than to do 1.
- give you better single leg balance, and flexibility workout.

I may throw 300 punches non-stop without feeling tired. I will feel tired after throwing 100 kicks non-stop.

I believe the energy spending ration between punch and kick is about 1 to 3.

I still remember the Karate tournament required after you have delievered 3 punches, you have to deliever at least 1 kick.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Life is so funny. When you get older, your kicking will get worse (worse balance, worse flexibility). You have to do more kicking in order to keep your body young.

But if you can still kick your leg above your head, you will have confidence that you won't fall down by accident and break your hip during your older age.

This may not be that easy for those who have no MA training. But for us MA people, this should not be that hard to do.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If we compare the following 2 different 3 moves combo:

1. right jab, left hook, right uppercut.
2. right roundhouse kick, right side kick, left back kick.

to do 2 will

- take more energy than to do 1.
- give you better single leg balance, and flexibility workout.

I may throw 300 punches non-stop without feeling tired. I will feel tired after throwing 100 kicks non-stop.

I believe the energy spending ration between punch and kick is about 1 to 3.

I still remember the Karate tournament required after you have delievered 3 punches, you have to deliever at least 1 kick.

Not disputing that...just wondering who actually says this

"I start to understand why some people may call "less kicking MA" as "lazy person's MA"."

And saying whoever says that never has seen a boxer working out or BJJ guys working out

And additionally, base on the logic "some people may call "less kicking MA" as "lazy person's MA" then Savate is the greatest workout of all and can call all other martial arts, that do not focus specifically on kicking..."lazy person's MA"

So. long story short, I do not agree with that statement at all and in almost 50 years of training MA I have never heard anyone say that.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not disputing that...just wondering who actually says this
The 武坛 Wu Tan, Liu Yuan Chao's students in Taiwan said this. The Baji people don't believe one should skip the compress-release power generation training that Xing Yi people can't care less about it. The Baji people look at this from the power generation point of view which have nothing to do with kicking.

As far as kicking is harder than punching. it's just my personal experience and opinion.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some MA systems have more kicks in the form than other systems.

IMO, more kicks workout = more health benefit.

In the following 18 moves Xing Yi form segment, it has 2 kicks. The kick/punch ratio is about 2 : 16 = 1 : 8.

In the following 11 moves long fist form segment, it has 6 kicks. The kick/punch ratio is about 5 : 6 = 1 : 1.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions