Which Weapon/Weapons Do You Favor?

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone's favorite weapon/weapons is/are? Any that you hate? My favorite is the sai (hence the name), but I also enjoy the fighting fans, the nunchuks, shuriken, and the whip chain. I've only found one weapon I don't like, the bo staff, as I did it for 4 yrs and still couldn't get the hang of it. It's hard for me to manuever. Plus, I like the weapons that not everyone in martial arts does. Ever notice when you go to a tourny, during weapons division, nearly everyone's got a bo staff? No offense to you bo staff people, as you're good at something I'm not. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the context of Chinese martial arts, I practice sword, broadsword, long staff, and spear. My sifu also teaches many things that I have not learned, including double sword, double broadsword, chain whip, rope dart, three section staff, gwan do, double daggers, deerhorn knives, and I expect a few others I cannot remember at the moment.

I also play with the bow and arrow.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Favorite weapon is the weapon at hand that I can use to equilize the danger. ;)

Although I am partial to sticks and daggers as well.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No particular weapon. Whatever it takes during the situation. Anything can be a weapon. I firmly believe if you favor a weapon, that is a weakness to be exploited. That is like having favorite techniques. IMHO, They all should be equally unimportant (weapons and techniques).

T

TonyM.

Double steel whips are my favorite with wooden flute as a second.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of the Okinawan weapons: Kon, Kama, Sai, Eku, Tonfa. I also love messing with double baston, knife, bokken, and suburi-to. The only weapon that I cannot get the hang of is My Wife's fan. She studies Mu'Lan Ch'aun and I cannot get the hang of using the darn thing.

BushidoUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am always drawn to tonfa as my fave weapon closely followed by the yawarra.

Personally I hate to see the Nunchaks being twirled and flailed like a whirling dirvish, show me an Okinawan Nunchuka stylist and I start to like them just a little bit!

Southwell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I also like the Tonfa. I had little success in tournaments with the tonfa,but maybe it was me . I am now learning the Saber,which I just love.

Jerry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The knife and the pistol.

I once saw a Jujitsu group do an excellent demonstration routine that included some good shotgun work.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I enjoy the use of all weapons. I don't really hate any one of them, although there are many that I am terrible at using. I never really could attain a decent proficiency with the three section staff, so I donated it to the old dojo before I left.

I prefer the katana / bokken / shinai, followed by the sai, then the bo and jo. This follows a trend that I simply prefer the solid weapons of the flexible ones (such as nunchaku, etc). Some of the folks at the dojo refer to myself and one other instructor as the sword fanatics / sword freaks because we spent a good deal on decent katanas, and not some SLO...

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE sparring with two sticks...nothing more effective for me personally. I HATE the three sectional staff. Could never get it to work for me and have never seen anyone do it well or effectively.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really like using weapons (I perfer empty hand techniques against weapons). But I'm getting used to the bo. Actually handling it isn't bad, it was my dang form that took forever to learn.

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love ALL weapons. But lately I have been attracted to the Kusari Fundo. (weighted chain) :whip:

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i like the staff and the yawara stick. i'm learning double sticks now, so that currently has my attention.

as for the most powerful one...well, that's gotta be the human mind. that's my favorite. :)

:asian:

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Spitting and biting.

Or, more acurately, human spit and teeth. :lol:

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kukri and the cane. I love 'em both. I also love the staff, but I find the cane techniques to be more applicable to found weapons. Also, as any Kukri guy will tell you, a short stick substitutes very well.

What do I hate? I don't know, I never met a weapon I didn't like.

Latest Discussions