Weapons Forums

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey all! Another thread brought to you by Becky Bear Industries, Inc.

I was wondering (this is mainly a moderator question I guess) why there isn't a forum for regular martial art weapons like nun chuks, sai, bo staffs, etc. All I saw is knives, swords, and guns. I'd like a place to talk about techniques with weapons. Should I just post it in General Martial Art Talk?
Everyone else is free to comment on this too. :)

Becky

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. Basically, because we haven't seen a major need for one yet. Many of the traditional weapons fall under their art sectons. If we see a critical mass of topics on them, or have a strong demand (ie more than 2-3 people asking) we do try to test them for a few months to see how much traffic they'll get.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Fencing forum never got enough posters, unfortunately. Knives, swords, and firearms are doing OK though.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind seeing a forum about about staff weapons. Mostly because untill about Sandan in Coung Nhu all the weapons you have to know (as a requirement) are called staff weapons. Mostly Tambo and Bo staff. Though I suppose the spear is a Nidan. And some were the double broad sword, sai, kama, and a few others I cann't think of.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would there be enough cross-disciplinary discussion of staffwork? I wonder if it's better to leave Chinese staff discussions in CMA, the bo in JMA, etc., as so often discussions seem to focus on a particular school of staffwork.

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Would there be enough cross-disciplinary discussion of staffwork? I wonder if it's better to leave Chinese staff discussions in CMA, the bo in JMA, etc., as so often discussions seem to focus on a particular school of staffwork.

It may prove to be an effective tool in cross training, however. Think of it... Being able to ask a question about your weapon and get back answers that are outside ofthe box! Interesting concept to say the least.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:

Dalum said:
It may prove to be an effective tool in cross training, however. Think of it... Being able to ask a question about your weapon and get back answers that are outside ofthe box! Interesting concept to say the least.

Quite the conundrum. IMHO, I believe most people browse more forums than just the ones related to their own arts, and will comment on threads with common elements. Leave them as they are.

Respects,

Frank

Bert

White Belt
Reaction score
beauty_in_the_sai said:
Hey all! Another thread brought to you by Becky Bear Industries, Inc.

I was wondering (this is mainly a moderator question I guess) why there isn't a forum for regular martial art weapons like nun chuks, sai, bo staffs, etc. All I saw is knives, swords, and guns. I'd like a place to talk about techniques with weapons. Should I just post it in General Martial Art Talk?
Everyone else is free to comment on this too. :)

Becky

icon1.gif
I also would like to know where to find info on other weapons such as the staff or the name of a staff 8 feet 6 inches

Bert

White Belt
Reaction score
icon1.gif
how or where would I find info on the use and understanding of the staff

I have been practicing with this weapon for some time the staff I use is 8 ' 6" long is there another name for it and or the use of

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm very much interested in trying tolearn martial arts online, like weapons staffs etc. I really do think you have to know martial arts beforehand rather than being a total beginner to do it yoursefl.

best things to use are - forums, Blogs, PDF files showing stances and moves. use a file sharing downlaod to gett hem or search for websites.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Bert, I noticed that you are new to MT. Welcome to the forum. :) How about posting an introduction in the Meet and Greet forum, so we can learn a little bit more about you?

As far as I know, bo staffs typically do not exceed 72 inches. I don't know any style that uses a staff over eight feet long. What style are you practicing?

I also strongly recommend against trying to teach yourself a weapon art. Working with any weapon is dangerous (even wooden weapons like staff and bokken can kill an opponent); serious injury could result from a single mistake. Not to mention that you would not have any *real* frame of reference to determine your own progress.

Latest Discussions