Which style of karate would you consider most “complete”

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It will depend alot on the actual school and quality of the instructors
and many styles in theory are well rounded but they do have some core differences in strengths and weaknesses
Some aspect of some major sub styles of karate

Goju Ryu - focuses on blending hard and soft elements of fighting, trapping hands, hojo undo conditioning, and some weapons work
Kyokushin - is a hard strong style with a strong fighting spirit and good punches and kicks
Shito Ryu - has many informative katas and typical fast straight forward movements
Shorin Ryu - is the okinawan version of shaoling kung fu
Shotokan - has great basic techniques, and very solid stances
Wado Ryu - doesnt focus on hard sparing but rather body movement to avoid many attacks

Thanks to Christopher for a reply which was helpful and respectful, and not just a slap across the face.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I stopped Karate and do Sambo now. Learned real quick how brutal and effective it is not only for sport but for the streets as well. Not one session has bored me yet, everyday I learn a crazy amazing technique. Never looked back since Sambo and don’t plan to either. I’m doing Sambo/ Combat Sambo/ no Kurtka freestyle Sambo. So basically everything. I’m gonna cross train with pure Judo later down the road during my sambo journey just to improve my sambo. Finally found my martial art and my path. Fortunately for me I found a USA Sambo school that’s affiliated with the U.S. Sambo team. I got lucky.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Christopher for a reply which was helpful and respectful, and not just a slap across the face.
So, you consider the other serious answers about style not being important to be "just a slap across the face"?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I stopped Karate and do Sambo now. Learned real quick how brutal and effective it is not only for sport but for the streets as well. Not one session has bored me yet, everyday I learn a crazy amazing technique. Never looked back since Sambo and don’t plan to either. I’m doing Sambo/ Combat Sambo/ no Kurtka freestyle Sambo. So basically everything. I’m gonna cross train with pure Judo later down the road during my sambo journey just to improve my sambo. Finally found my martial art and my path. Fortunately for me I found a USA Sambo school that’s affiliated with the U.S. Sambo team. I got lucky.
Sounds like you found a great fit! Have fun with it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you tried it out and liked it, definitely a good fit for your goals. You could also probably aim for the pan am sambo or similar, if you're looking for competition.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This seems as good a thread as any to ask-I'm considering brewing/making my own mead. Anyone have any experience with it, and any advice of things i should do (or things i should be aware of to avoid) during the process?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To the original question posed by the OP...."Which style of Karate would you consider "most complete".

Damned if I know. Sure as hell isn't American Karate. We constantly adapt trying to keep up.
It ain't easy, I'll tell you that.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Glad you tried it out and liked it, definitely a good fit for your goals. You could also probably aim for the pan am sambo or similar, if you're looking for competition.
we have a local Southwest Regional Sambo championships In February in the city where I live my gym helps host it. Then in the early spring I’m aiming for the United States National Sambo Championships next year. I plan on competing in no gi submission grappling tourneys as well like naga etc. might even dabble with mma again I’m currently 1-0. I will aim for international competition depending on how I do nationally first. But one thing I love about Sambo is that it’s adaptable to most martial arts and various competition rulesets so I’m able to compete in multiple different types of events. Since I’m doing combat sambo and stroking at my gym I can get into mma again and compete. Sambo is pretty badass. Waiting for my sexy all red sambo uniform and boots to arrive from Russia. Pretty pumped to say the least. I have a Judo gi mizuno brand so there is no excuse for me not to pick up Judo along side sambo to improve my sambo and overall grappling game as a whole. But I’m focusing on what I’m doing for awhile prob a couple years before I even start dabbling with a separate Judo journey. Don’t want to take on too much too soon.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Since I’m doing combat sambo and stroking at my gym I can get into mma again and compete. Sambo is pretty badass. Waiting for my sexy all red sambo uniform and boots to arrive from Russia. Pretty pumped to say the least.

What kind of sambo school should we be looking for if we also want to stroke in sexy red uniforms? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMO, any self defence system should be capable of being used without going to the ground. In mugging situations or other situation featuring two or more attackers, grappling only works if the 2nd and 3rd muggers agree to all get down on the ground and grapple with you at the same time. Otherwise they might be inclined to kick you hard in the kidneys or back of the head whilst you throttle their other buddy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, any self defence system should be capable of being used without going to the ground. In mugging situations or other situation featuring two or more attackers, grappling only works if the 2nd and 3rd muggers agree to all get down on the ground and grapple with you at the same time. Otherwise they might be inclined to kick you hard in the kidneys or back of the head whilst you throttle their other buddy.
This is a common complaint about things like BJJ, but I think it's over-stated in two ways. Firstly, it ignores the fact that half of BJJ training (literally) is about keeping someone from controlling you on the ground, which should improve your odds of being able to stand back up and NOT be stuck on the ground dealing with one or more people, if you choose.

Secondly, I don't think multiple attacker situations are as common as the argument suggests. Yes, they happen, and most SD training doesn't do a great job of teaching you how to deal with that (as a separate thing). Any good fighting skill improves the odds somewhat.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I agree a SD system should include a significant amount of stand-up work.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in a bunch of stuff prior to my Sambo training. Kyokushin, Brown belt in TKD, boxed amateurs and did Amatuer mma, competed in various no gi tourneys, trained with and have been smashed by world class wrestlers, been in some wild street fights. Out of my experiences and what I have trained I personally feel and pick Sambo to save my *** in the street or in any wild situation where self defense is a must.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Striking only works if muggers agree to attack you one at a time as well.

Otherwise you still get whacked in the back of the head.

There are elements that work against multiples. One of them having enough cardio to brawl while doing three times the work of the guys you are fighting.

Ironically you don't see people lining up to gain that skill very often in self defense classes.

"Today we are going to learn how to defend multiple attackers by doing hill sprints"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There are elements that work against multiples. One of them having enough cardio to brawl while doing three times the work of the guys you are fighting.

Ironically you don't see people lining up to gain that skill very often in self defense classes.

"Today we are going to learn how to defend multiple attackers by doing hill sprints"
Learning to control distance and angles helps, too. Another one of those things that good MMA/boxing/kickboxing training includes that gets overlooked by those talking down sport training.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score

I agree with you. Being successful versus multiple attackers truly relies on cardio and ability to do more work than your attackers. I don’t think there is a special art or recipe for defeating multiple people. Just cardio and activeness while using the skills you know.

OP
Brandon Miller

Brandon Miller

Green Belt
Reaction score
Learning to control distance and angles helps, too. Another one of those things that good MMA/boxing/kickboxing training includes that gets overlooked by those talking down sport training.
Absolutely. Sport fighting training definitely gives you an upper hand against someone on the street who isn’t trained plain and simple. Defeating multiple attackers in my opinion relies on the individual person not a particular art. Being athletic having great cardio, constantly moving, simply being more active than your aggressors. Using whatever skill you know and pray for a positive outcome.

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would add that a multiple attack - or any attack which you perceive as extremely dangerous and/or life threatening - narrows your options as to what you throw at the attackers. If a "fight," you probably have limits to your methods, but if you think that you and/or spouse is/are in great physical peril, you may be forced into commando-in-a-war zone mode.

D

Deleted member 34973

A system of old school Karate would be your best bet. Pre point tournament preferably.

It should have 3 qualifying aspects in their training regiment.

1) Striking
2) enter for takedowns
3) grappling, (both standing and ground)

Unfortunately, you do not see this in many Karate styles, in this day and age.

Latest Discussions