Which martial arts should I take up?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's very true. I was thinking that I would never learn box bcz of that and then I thought maybe I won't start boxing THIS period of time.. but i could try kick boxing that would be fun, if possible. Although being bare feet makes me kinda shy for some reason :p

Enjoy the hell out of it, brother. I kind of envy you, learning Martial Skills at the beginning is so much fun!

Have a ball and keep keeping us posted.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I toom boxing classes for a month. The verdict id that it was fun and i experienced no injuries. It was mainly cardio which was kinda fun because i like it. However the work out was inferior to that of crossfits. Plus it was too sweaty and felt less clean compared to crossfit.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I toom boxing classes for a month. The verdict id that it was fun and i experienced no injuries. It was mainly cardio which was kinda fun because i like it. However the work out was inferior to that of crossfits. Plus it was too sweaty and felt less clean compared to crossfit.
So it wasn’t as good as a workout but you didn’t like it because it was to sweaty....is anyone else confused by that?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you sweated more but it was less of a workout? I imagine you were working certain muscle groups more than you are not used thus the extra sweat.
Help us understand what you are looking for. I would imagine the combination of a good boxing class and crossfit would be a very good workout regime. The boxing will ramp up when you actually start boxing against other people, physically and mentally. Something crossfit cannot do for you on it's own.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm guessing he means that it's not as good of a strength workout. But if it's making you sweat more you're getting more cardio. I'd agree with dv that combining the two would probably be pretty good (unless you're looking for just muscle building, in which case try weightlifting.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last year I decided to get serious with my physique. It was a mix of me wanting to be better at university, wanting to be the better version of me. I took up crossfit and lost 10kgs. I'm in a way better shape (1.83, 95kg). My muscles are kinda grown up too, I'm very excited. However I am considering of picking up a martial art instead of crossfit. I do enjoy crossfit but I think a martial art can help me make some new friends, have a nice body and at the same time learn some nice moves? Although I'm not the guy who would ever punch anyone or anything, But maybe it would be a nice experience.. So what do you think would be suitable?
If you want a martial art that develops your body visually, you're genuinely better off doing Capoeira or Boxing. Why?

Capoeira is perhaps the most athletic martial art in terms of acrobatics and cardio. It is one of the only sports that will allow you to develop immense upper body strength as well as accompany it with a nice visual touch, by broadening the shoulder and tightening your stomach - this is natural as you will spend a lot of time upside down in Capoeira on handstands.

As for Boxing, they say "you think you're fit until you've tried boxing". Boxing is one of the only martial arts where the instructors will actively get you to focus on exercises such as jump rope, squats, shoulder shrugs, and even weight lifting with the neck, in the actual classes. MMA does so too, but I don't personally consider MMA a martial art of its own.

Latest Discussions