CrossFit and Martial Arts

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lately, I've been supplementing my martial arts training with CrossFit sessions twice a week. I started CF in June and I've seen nothing by benefits from this. I'm finding myself in better shape than I've been in a long time and I find that my martial arts training is actually more beneficial because I'm not always trying to turn it into a workout. I want to know if anyone else is doing this. What has been your experience? Do any of the exercises you do in CrossFit have direct applicability on your training?

I can't believe how much having a little more strength and explosive power has increased by abilities in sparring. I've had good technique because I've worked it so long, but in the last few weeks, as I've really gotten better at CrossFit, I'm at a different level. For me, this cross training helped me bust a plateau in my training.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crossfit or otherwise, I've always believed that conditioning is best done separate from skill training like MA. You can of course (and probably should) do some MA workouts that push your physical conditioning, but you will never achieve a good balance of time/condition/skill trying to "get in shape" by doing martial arts training IMO. Something like crossfit is ideal IMO because it's training your body in various ways that can result in an immediate and direct benefit/correlation to martial arts or other combative events. The military and special operations community have been moving toward crossfit style HIT training as of late for similar reasons.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't do crossfit but would like to if my $ situation gets a little better. I think its an excellent program that supplements a lot of other physical activities well, be it martial arts, team sports, hiking, swimming, etc.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I do Crossfit about 2/3 times a week. Really, really helped me get back into good shape, and I certainly credit them for helping me getting through my first Dog Brothers Gathering. For me the biggest thing has been coaches watching my form and then the group workouts that push me harder than I would work out on my own. Several of my students have commented that they have seen the difference over the past two years.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love CrossFit. I got out to the website just about every day for the WOD info. One of these days I think I may actually do the WOD. I'll have to find the substitutes for for the workouts that require equipment, but still.....I'm almost there! ;)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Crossfit or otherwise, I've always believed that conditioning is best done separate from skill training like MA. You can of course (and probably should) do some MA workouts that push your physical conditioning, but you will never achieve a good balance of time/condition/skill trying to "get in shape" by doing martial arts training IMO. Something like crossfit is ideal IMO because it's training your body in various ways that can result in an immediate and direct benefit/correlation to martial arts or other combative events. The military and special operations community have been moving toward crossfit style HIT training as of late for similar reasons.

This is something I've noticed at our gym. We actually have a lot of servicemen and women who come in and train. I'm not sure if it's supplemental to the work outs they already do, or if it's being done in place of those, but I can say that probably 70% of the clientele at our box is military. We have a huge marine corps base in my town, so most of the guys who work out there are coming from there.

As far as the HIT training, absolutely. It's hard to get that in with MA workouts unless you are practicing something more sport related. I got those kinds of workouts with Muay Thai and wrestling. Other MA though, it's usually slower paced.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite WOD that they feel helps their MA practice?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is something I've noticed at our gym. We actually have a lot of servicemen and women who come in and train. I'm not sure if it's supplemental to the work outs they already do, or if it's being done in place of those, but I can say that probably 70% of the clientele at our box is military. We have a huge marine corps base in my town, so most of the guys who work out there are coming from there.

As far as the HIT training, absolutely. It's hard to get that in with MA workouts unless you are practicing something more sport related. I got those kinds of workouts with Muay Thai and wrestling. Other MA though, it's usually slower paced.

Crossfit has a lot of good things, and it's become very popular in the military and public safety community. They've developed a really practical, functional definition of general fitness. But it's also got some things that I consider major problems. There's very little planned sequencing in the WODs, which means you could easily find yourself really overworking particular motions or muscle groups. As a hint to this -- they've taken a relatively rare medical condition (exertional rhabdomyolosis) and induced it enough to joke about it. Yes, some of that is the athlete's own fault for pushing themselves that way -- but coaches and trainers bear a responsibility to prevent potentially fatal conditions, in my opinion. I also just don't like that unstructured an approach; I don't want to blast the hell out of my legs for 3 days straight, and hope for an upper body workout in the next rotation. I do incorporate some of their principles in my own workouts, though.

The other major problem I have with Crossfit boxes is that they're all freakin' expensive! Like 2 to 3 times a regular gym membership... and some of them only allow you to work out during the scheduled classes; you couldn't come in on your own and simply do the WOD.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train on my own every morning, mixing kata with other martial arts exercises, but from what I've learned so far, with a jump rope, a kettle bell, a wooden box and small mat, I can bust out some impressive WODs on my own. CF has the barbells and big stuff that I can't use at home. I think a person could join for six months, take good notes, and probably have enough knowledge to get started by themselves.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite WOD that they feel helps their MA practice?

Turkish Get Ups, Box Jumps and Hand Stand Push Ups. These are some of my favorite Wod elements so far. I'm terrible at Hand Stand Push Ups, but I can easily kick up and move around on my hands. I like kicking up and rolling out of it. Anyway, the TGU is a surprisingly difficult maneuver. I was trying them with kettle bells and after a few, my shoulders were burning. I particularly like way this strengthens the core and forces you to move around while holding the core stable.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Named WOD? Probably Kelly, 5 rounds of running, wallballs, and box jumps.

For me the best thing has been the Olympic lifting, something I never did before joining CF. Of course I could get it elsewhere, but I like the concept of training to be the all around athlete. Tonight was front squats and rope climbs, not something I would normally do on my own. :D

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to do a homebrew of various named WOD's.

Currently I do:

MON: 25 pushups 25 situps 25 squats 4 rounds for time. Supplemented with some posterior chain work like hamstring raises and hypertensions.

WED: 100 burpee workout. 100 burpees for time (broken into manageable work/rest chunks for now). I incorporate sets of chin-ups by doing them under a bar and jumping into a chin.

FRI: Deadlifts. I was up to 2X bodyweight but after a layoff am working back up. Am doing 325 lbs for 3 reps at a set for max currently.

On off days and weekends I will either run, do some flexibility work and/or some bagwork in the garage (heavy and double-end).

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those are ridiculous, I haven't done many, but so far my least favorite is Murph. I hate running.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, those are ridiculous, I haven't done many, but so far my least favorite is Murph. I hate running.

We do a couple of Hero Wods a month on Sundays and those are days I ususally hit it hard, so I can just crash on the beach afterward. Those....are crazy. Holy ****.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I train on my own every morning, mixing kata with other martial arts exercises, but from what I've learned so far, with a jump rope, a kettle bell, a wooden box and small mat, I can bust out some impressive WODs on my own. CF has the barbells and big stuff that I can't use at home. I think a person could join for six months, take good notes, and probably have enough knowledge to get started by themselves.

Hell -- the site offers WODs and more for free. The exercise demos are one of my go-tos. The boxes? I think they're riding a wave of popularity, and charging what the market will bear.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My only DIY crossfit fear....trying the Olympic lift WODs without formal instruction.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hell -- the site offers WODs and more for free. The exercise demos are one of my go-tos. The boxes? I think they're riding a wave of popularity, and charging what the market will bear.

OTOH, I think boxes have something to offer certain kinds of people that they can't get on their own or in gyms. For example, I like working out by myself. I am kind of an introvert and I definitely need my alone time in the morning in order to rev up my people engine for the day. I also don't mind working out by myself when I get stressed out and just need a break from people.

My wife is an extrovert and she has a hard time working out alone. She gets stoked by the energy of the box and likes the atmosphere because she feels like it pushes her harder than she would push herself. I actually recommended CF to her last year because she was in kind of a PT slump and wanted to change things around. Going to work out in the social atmosphere really worked for her. So, I think a lot of people might be paying for that kind of atmosphere. You can be social and you don't have to be self directed because you have a coach there who is going to directing things.

Everyone is different. I could set up all of the box equipment in my garage and rock it to some loud music. My wife...not so much.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crossfit fees are way too expensive IMO....

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2