Which is your best Taekwondo pattern (tul)?

escuelafraternidad

White Belt
Reaction score
I received from Taekwondo Coaching this chart. Which is your favorite Taekwondo tul and why? What is the Taekwondo tul you most dislike?
best Taekwondo pattern.jpg

W.Bridges

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My highest TDK pattern right now is Yul-Gok. So can't really judge any of the others at this time.

D

Deleted member 39746

The only one i know is the 4 directional punches and blocks. How ever the next one looks bloody difficult. :p

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only one i know is the 4 directional punches and blocks. How ever the next one looks bloody difficult. :p

Those aren't tul so aren't included in that list...

The next one? That would be chon-ji.

And that would be the one that's part of the test to get your yellow belt.

1-3 years training TKD you say?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

1-3 years training TKD you say?
When he said 4 directional punches/blocks, my mind went to dan-gun, since that's basically all it is. And I can't imagine someone looking at chon-ji, or dan-gun and thinking they look bloody difficult.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
When he said 4 directional punches/blocks, my mind went to dan-gun, since that's basically all it is. And I can't imagine someone looking at chon-ji, or dan-gun and thinking they look bloody difficult.

4 direction punch and 4 direction block are sajo jirugi and sajo magki - fundamental exercises that come before chon-ji (which includes a couple of backward steps too).

Dan-Gun is effectively 4 directions, but there's more movement than the simple 4 ways. The pattern diagram is like a capital I instead of a plain cross.

The person in question might think they look difficult, because with their 1-3 years training they never got further than the fundamental exercises...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just looked into it and apparently some ITF schools teach a 4-directional block/punch exercise, before the first form. My bad, I had no idea that was a thing.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just looked into it and apparently some ITF schools teach a 4-directional block/punch exercise, before the first form. My bad, I had no idea that was a thing.

Those (and later in the curriculum the 4 direction thrust) were in the 1986 encyclopedia...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have only limited exposure to the ITF system. But I do/did know Chon-Ji, Dan-Gun, and Do-San. Always liked Chon-Ji.
My favorite WT(F)/Kukkiwon form is Hansoo. My favorite form set is the Palgwe's.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oops; Dan-Gun.

***Edit: Yes, Do-San.

That's alright - when going through the lower patterns with the lower belts we often get things like Dan-San, Do-Gun, Chon-san and others.

Poor dears get confused half way through and do the second half of a completely different pattern :D

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those (and later in the curriculum the 4 direction thrust) were in the 1986 encyclopedia...
FWIW the fundamental exercises appear in these editions with ones appearing earlier remaining.
4 Direction punch (1965) Perhaps earlier in the Korean Version
4 Direction Block (1972)
4 Direction Thrust (1983)

D

Deleted member 39746

As far as i am concerned it is, it might not be a tul but it is a is a structured method of individual practice for movements so for all intents and purposes might as well be one. (and i didnt state it was a tul in that post anyway, ambiguity of wording maybe) Unless there is some defining characteristic missing from it which makes tuls, tuls or something like that.

thinking they look bloody difficult.

When you have only done it once, its all bloody difficult. :p (its obviously not if you do it more than once, its literally about repetition)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's not just ITF. My first school taught Exercises, Kibons, Palgwes, and Taegeuks. The exercises were like mini-forms.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as i am concerned it is, it might not be a tul but it is a is a structured method of individual practice for movements so for all intents and purposes might as well be one. (and i didnt state it was a tul in that post anyway, ambiguity of wording maybe) Unless there is some defining characteristic missing from it which makes tuls, tuls or something like that.

When you have only done it once, its all bloody difficult. :p (its obviously not if you do it more than once, its literally about repetition)

I think that's the point. For 1-3 years of training in TKD, you should have done the basic form more than once. For someone with that much experience, the basic form should not be considered "difficult."

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's alright - when going through the lower patterns with the lower belts we often get things like Dan-San, Do-Gun, Chon-san and others.

Poor dears get confused half way through and do the second half of a completely different pattern :D

One of my favorite moments in class, I was sitting down while 2 higher belts were doing their forms. The red belt was doing well, but the blue belt got confused, so my master yelled the next move to the blue belt. That got the blue belt going, but the red belt, who was getting ready to do a high block and chop, heard "palm block, kick and spearhand", and got really confused. So then my Master yells "high block and chop" to the red belt, and the blue belt, who is getting ready to do a down block, gets confused. This went back and forth for the entire form.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW the fundamental exercises appear in these editions with ones appearing earlier remaining.
4 Direction punch (1965) Perhaps earlier in the Korean Version
4 Direction Block (1972)
4 Direction Thrust (1983)

Yes, 1983 - for some reason I always think it's 1986 even though I know it's not ;)

I don't have the other editions, and I don't recall any appearing in the 1959 text (tbf it could be buried in the Chinese passages or I may very well have missed it ..)

D

Deleted member 39746

I think that's the point. For 1-3 years of training in TKD, you should have done the basic form more than once. For someone with that much experience, the basic form should not be considered "difficult."

Oh, i didnt say the first one was, i meant the second one. I have only done chon ji once. And see previous for why i think that is difficult in a joking manner.

(also for all intents and purposes i am referring to 4directions as forms)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, i didnt say the first one was, i meant the second one. I have only done chon ji once. And see previous for why i think that is difficult in a joking manner.

(also for all intents and purposes i am referring to 4directions as forms)

That's what I'm saying. That is considered to be a basic form. People are shocked that you have 1-3 years of experience and only did the basic form once.