Which is first at your school

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to here in order what are the most important aspect of your training: I.E. here is a list in order what is most important to me wen training my pupils.

Respect
Tenets
History
Conditioning
Poomse
Kicking techniques
hand techniques
Self defense
One steps
Sparring
Testing

Let see your list
Terry

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
WE train heavily on

Footwork
Kicking drills
Sparring

We also teach

Respect
Courage
Never give up

Those are my personal favs, dont care for forms or one steps :)

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most important to me? It is hard for me to seperate because I think they are all one in the same....just different aspects of the whole. I think conditioning is important, but it goes hand in hand with sparring, intensity, "never give up attitude", technique work, etc. The sparring includes work from poomse, one-steps, hand/kicking techniques, and involves intensity and stubborness. Etc.

But if I HAD to seperate them....

Value system
Stubborness/Never Give up
Intensity
Conditioning
"Combat tactics"
Hand techniques
Kicking techniques
Sparring
Poomse
One-steps
Tournaments
Testings
History

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is first at school, first by the master who runs the school or
first in priority by me?

First by the master: Christian students, prosletyzing, money, more students, easy testing. Which results in: Integrity not important, students not tenacious, not disciplined, and knowingly take the easy road to BB. Now a new generation who think the easy road is normal. ack!

For importance to me:
Mental: Integrity, respect, humility, indomitable spirit, courage/perseverance, patience, discipline, focus, awareness

Physical: strength/aerobic/toughness conditioning, flexibility, balance, agility

By parts of TKD: camaraderie/loyalty of friends, workout, technique, forms, self-defense, sparring, breaking, tournaments/testing.

In other words I wouldn't be there if it weren't for my TKD friends. But I'm sure other schools are different.;)
TW

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, Taekwondo training is divided into three phases: the Foundation, the Core Body, and the resulting Benefits. The priority of the aspects of my foundation is three fold, like a three-legged stool. The stool can not stand without the support of all three legs. The priority aspects of my teaching includes:

1. Attendance
2. Courtesy
3. Perseverance.

Attendance first because, if a student does not show up, there is nothing I can do for them. No matter how bad the attitude, or how poor the technical skill, I can influence them, and lead them to change, IF they are in class, but not if they are absent.

The second priority is Courtesy. Once they are in class, proper attitude and behavior is of the utmost importance. It has been said that "Taekwondo begins with courtesy, and ends with courtesy." This is why we bow at the beginning and end of class. Top priority is safety, thus courtesy means to exercise self control, follow the rules, and behave in a safe manner. Courtesy means to follow your seniors, and be polite to your fellow students. Courtesy also means to never misuse Taekwondo - behave outside the dojang as you are taught inside.

The third priority of my foundation is Perseverance. A student who lacks this will quit at the first sign of difficulty, reprimand, losing a tournament, or failing a test. A student who has perseverance will never give up, and never quit.

With these three aspects for a foundation, I can teach a student anything.

The core body of my teaching includes:
1. Building good Character
2. Developing Integrity for strength of Character, and to resist temptations.
3. Integrating Body, Mind, and Spirit for health, wisdom, and enlightenment.

Self Defense training is never sacrificed for any of the above, but, if done right, the focus is on becoming a better person, and self defense skills become an automatic by-product of proper training. It is a shift of focus without a loss of benefit. Like quenching your thirst is a by-product of drinking water for nourishment. Quenching the thirst is an automatic result of seeking nourishment. If your focus is only on quenching your thirst without consideration for what you are drinking, then you might lose the benefit by drinking an unhealthy beverage.

My humble opinion!
Sr. Master Eisenhart

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor, I believe, is big on the tenets, respect, and disipline. More so the higher you get in the ranks. Everything else in secondary. As far as the pysical stuff goes, technique is important. No matter what it is. Specially in the advanced class. He's constantly tweaking someone's technique.

When my honey finally opens a school, I think respect, camaraderie among students, and technique are most important. And pretty much what TigerWoman said (I will be the manager of the school, so I WILL make the rules hehehehehe).

Kuk Sa Nim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Greeting all,

For me this is a very easy question. We have VERY clear direction at our dojang. Obviously, this is a more complex question, once we get down to the details. I'll give our general philosophy and a breakdown:

#1 - RESPECT - Nothing can happen without it. A student does not belong in our class unless they understand respect. For the art, the fellow students, themselves and all they come into contact with.

#2 - DISCIPLINE - With discipline, classes are much more productive. Focus increases, and lessons are learned better.

#3 - SELF DEFENSE - With this emphasis, all other attributes will come, such as techniques, sensativity, conditioning, etc. as this is an all encomnpasing component of our training. The common denominator is that all our drills, exercises, forms, etc. are geared with self defense in mind.

Here is a more detailed breakdown:

Since our martial art is so comprehensive, any given lesson will include training in empty hand combatives (ie: kick boxing, grappling, trapping, joint locks, etc.) and or traditional and modern weapon skills (ie: knife, staff or firearms). There is a 4 point approach to the training. What this means is that the art is constantly covering 4 methods of teaching. They are:

01- Basics - This includes all fundamental techniques such as stances, blocks, punches, kicks, etc. Also included in this category are all types of self defense sets. Another part of training that is considered as basics are the often overlooked mental aspects of training. One must have the proper frame of mind in order to be most effective in any self defense situation. Therefore many mental training skills are emphasized.

02- Forms - Forms training teaches the very beautiful empty hand and weapons sets, and the many applications of the movements. More importantly, Forms practice will develop fluidity of movement in each student. They will emphasize power, speed, timing, balance, lines, and angles. Grace and many elements not necessarily viewed as fighting tactics as well as many conceptual movements are contained in Forms training, that one will use over and over.

03- Drills - Training with the many drills will help to develop conditioned reflexes. By covering so many different types of scenarios, the body will begin to move freely, and the thought process is minimized. The goal is to learn to apply the basic techniques, done with correct form and power, in the appropriate spontaneous moment.

04- Sparring - Lastly, we have Sparring. Not to be confused with fighting. Fighting is all about surviving and not necessarily showing compassion for the opponent. Sparring sessions are mutual learning sessions that are to be done with safety and little by little, less and less co-operation from your partner. As one gets more comfortable, then one can really step up the intensity and pace. Many different types of sparring are practiced, so as to cover as many self defense scenarios as possible.

The combination of these 4 points of training will help to develop a sound martial artists, with strenght in character and a very well rounded and effective fighter.

With brotherhood,
Grand Master Michael De Alba

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I focus mostly on discipline that, in turn, results in making this world a better place. After my 3rd class, a parent came up to me & told me how much her kids are helping around the house since they started TKD w/ me. This was after I mentioned (in 15 seconds) that therir parents all work hard & they should help them around the house.