Which is easier to teach to children?

R

RCastillo

Kenpo, or Taekwon-Do? Which would have more value in terms of good basics, developing coordination, and ability?

Thanks, and Respects:asian:

OP
D

Disco

I would suggest TKD, because most, of TKD is set up for competition. In addition because it is kick orientated, balance is paramount in training.

In addition, alot depends on the age of the child. For anyone under the age of say 12 (this is just a generalization), the self defense aspects of TKD (based upon my experience) are less formidable than other styles. They work but to a lesser degree.

OP
E

Elfan

I don't think there is anything fundamentally easier about teaching kenpo or TKD to kids. I've seen kids at a kenpo school that looked like crap and I've seen 7 year old kenpoists who move far better than I do. It depends on the teacher, not what they call their art.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Originally posted by Elfan
I don't think there is anything fundamentally easier about teaching kenpo or TKD to kids. I've seen kids at a kenpo school that looked like crap and I've seen 7 year old kenpoists who move far better than I do. It depends on the teacher, not what they call their art.

Well said, I agree.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elfan

Yup, it depends on the instructor, but, also as inportant is the inherent talent of the student. Some students have that natural MA skill, & some don't, so those that don't have to work at it... :asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I would say teach a program with good solid basics, keep it fun, and you are sure to have good students.

I believe in Fun, Fitness and Fundamentals. If your program can work on these 3 priniples you will have it made. Kids wont participate if it is not fun. Participating will help make them fit. And you use the funadmentals through games and drills to bring it all together.

white belt

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Having not studied Kenpo, and being a TKD Instructor, I have experiencial bias working against me. Concerning balance I would say the TKD program would offer more that crosses over into team sports. The amount of kicking done enhances more lower body stability as far as I can see. The eye/hand coordination developed would be roughly equal. Seen some quick hands in both arts.

white belt

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Great myth out there is Kenpo people can't kick. Many of us can kick. Any art if taugt with sound basics will help a child with their co-ordination and balance.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Great myth out there is Kenpo people can't kick. Many of us can kick. Any art if taugt with sound basics will help a child with their co-ordination and balance.

ever seen that footage of Frank Trejo back in the day Rob? i'd put his kicking skills up against any TKD practitioner any day. you wouldn't expect it looking at him today...(no insult intended).

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
having studied TKD and now studying Kenpo, I don't think it matter which system or style learned, it's the way that is taught to the child. there's a four year old at my school that knows all the yellow belt sayings and six yellow belt techniques. granted, it's taken him seven months to learn, but has fun and it's fun teaching him. I personally taught him straight for about two months and it takes a lot of one-on-one with a child that young and an attention span that short. we have about fifteen kids in the children's class and some of the kids I like teaching and some I don't. as said before, it's about basics. introduce and reinforce good basics in a child, and he or she will grow to be better.

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think this is a tough topic to answer. style i feel does not matter here, instruction and cirriculum are more important. kids are tough too. they all learn quite differently. some learn by seeing and imitating, some have to be moved into the correct position, some can have it described to them and they understand it. then you have to take into account the different levels of athleticism in each child, and more specific to children...whether or not they may be forced to take up martial arts as a form of discipline by their parents or whether they may not learn very well at all because of a learning disorder. sometimes children are also put on medication that will effect their mood and behavior (usually uneccessarily i think).

good basics and foundations are the most valuable thing a student can be taught. teach them how to kick and punch correctly and how to assume the correct stances and transitions (if your style has different stances).

there has to be other methods of keeping the childrens' interest as well i believe. different types of "martial arts games" can be used as well as different fun activities they can look forward to as a reward for their hard work. kids...man....they should come with a manual.

OP
S

SRyuFighter

That would be great
Doctor: That's a beautiful baby boy you have there! Here's the manual on how to raise your child!

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by SRyuFighter
That would be great
Doctor: That's a beautiful baby boy you have there! Here's the manual on how to raise your child!

yeah...or at least outfit us with a huge supply of tranqualizer darts....JK:D :rofl:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Doesn't really matter.

With children, skill level is important, but social skills and the ability to teach children is by far the most important trait in teaching children. Children won't learn no matter how good you are if you don't present it right.

And a hardass won't do in the US. It might work other places where corporal punishment is used and where there is a strict, conservative society with no nonesense and "if you mess up, you pay up" attitude.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I don't know anything about kenpo so I can't say which one's better, but I do know that TKD is great for kids.