Why do we need to know more martial arts styles?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Err.....what? You are spouting a whole load of hypothetical situations at us and claiming them to be facts....
I think he's stating that's the situation that hes in.
That in his town there is a tkd school and a kickboxing school, that compete against each other at tournaments in both, and kickboxing always comes out ahead, so he's trying to figure out why.

If that is correct (and if your issue is that you attend/teach at the tkd school) you need to look at what the kickboxing school is doing that you're not. Kickboxing is not inherently better than tkd, and should not have an advantage over tkd in a tkd competition. If this is a consistent issue, my assumption is that the tkd school is lacking somewhere, and it's the instructors job you find out why/ where and fix it.

OP
A

aspirator

White Belt
Reaction score
Err.....what? You are spouting a whole load of hypothetical situations at us and claiming them to be facts....

There are many real situations here. The only hypothetical thing was ... "If I took 10 kids from kickboxing and would go with them to the National Taekwondo Championships, I would probably win 8 gold and 2 silver medals..." Otherwise, all are true facts, thanks!

OP
A

aspirator

White Belt
Reaction score
I think he's stating that's the situation that hes in.
That in his town there is a tkd school and a kickboxing school, that compete against each other at tournaments in both, and kickboxing always comes out ahead, so he's trying to figure out why.

If that is correct (and if your issue is that you attend/teach at the tkd school) you need to look at what the kickboxing school is doing that you're not. Kickboxing is not inherently better than tkd, and should not have an advantage over tkd in a tkd competition. If this is a consistent issue, my assumption is that the tkd school is lacking somewhere, and it's the instructors job you find out why/ where and fix it.

My children go to both schools. Teachers are exceptional, both. Under the age of 14 we noticed the superiority of the kickboxing style, we could arrange friendly matches among children, take children to kickboxing from taekwondo and vice versa, from taekwondo to kickboxing school. It's a rare case and I took advantage of this, as an experiment. I had the privilege of seeing things alive and drawing conclusions. Thank you!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My children go to both schools. Teachers are exceptional, both. Under the age of 14 we noticed the superiority of the kickboxing style, we could arrange friendly matches among children, take children to kickboxing from taekwondo and vice versa, from taekwondo to kickboxing school. It's a rare case and I took advantage of this, as an experiment. I had the privilege of seeing things alive and drawing conclusions. Thank you!
It's almost a case study rather than a real experiment, when you have such a small sample size. All it suggests is that the kickboxing school is better than the tkd school for kids, but that could be a result of the teachers, the training attitudes in the schools, the other students, or the styles themselves, there's no way to know for sure just on the data you have.

And if your conclusion is correct, it still would only mean that kickboxing is better than tkd for kids under 14, nothing about those who are competing for adult world championships.

I don't practice either, so I don't really care if kickboxing or tkd is better, I'm just concerned that you are jumping to conclusions/generalizations based on a limited amount of information.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments, are perfectly logical and common sense. Because I do not know English well and there are many nuances, I'm limited. But let me explain the situation a little bit more. It's a real and very interesting case, repeat, a real case. Mathematics says a lot in this case, my opinion. In fact, it's only about taekwon-do and kickboxing. I know 2 schools for children under 14. Respect both taekwondo and kickboxing, 2 very attractive sports, taekwondo seems more complete. Children are trained by the best coaches, very very good. It's also about the rules for each sport, when you get to the competition, about how to score. However, attention: if there are 10 battles on kickboxing rules, then the score is 10-0 for kickboxing. If the rules are for taekwon-do, then the score is 9 -1 for ... kickboxing. It is a real, concrete experience. Or to explain otherwise, if I took 10 kids from kickboxing and would go with them to the National Taekwondo Championships, I would probably win 8 gold and 2 silver medals, without these kids making an hour of taekwondo. Kickboxing children are more direct, attacking the head, dominating the fight clearly, and children doing taekwondo are too small, like age, do not have the necessary wisdom to know and use the advantage of foot techniques and ring-to-speed movement. You excuse me again with English. I'm interested in taekwondo in the future at international level, the world's top title, many years in a row. When I see these things, how not to think about kickboxing lessons??? Many taekwondo supercampions also kickboxed and boxed and went to pointfighting contests to gain experience and dominate the fight clearly. Two more real facts. One kid do both tkd and kickboxing. At first, the tkd child was defeated by four kickboxing children, even younger in age and weight. After 9 months, the score is 4 - 0 for him. At tkd competitions he usually was defetead in the first round. At the last tournament he won the gold medal, a international one, 5 wins out of 5, a total of 32 tkd children. Is it that kickboxing 9 months did not matter at all??? Indeed, there is another thing, it could be, after 14 years, when the tkd children will grow up and think of the fight, they will know how to use the higher speed, the combinations of legs as it should, their chances will increase, then they could equal or lead the score. But until then I believe, life has proven to me, that at a great level you need to be polyvalent, to know more than the other. We love Taekwondo ITF very much and we want exceptional results in the future, but we also need good advice. However, life clearly shows the direction in which we must go, the results speak. We have to be one step ahead of the others.Thank you very much!
Maybe the taekwondo school just isn't that good plain and simple just because that place is bad doesn't mean the whole style is

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe the taekwondo school just isn't that good plain and simple just because that place is bad doesn't mean the whole style is
I think the answer may lie in the fact that kickboxing is simpler , therefore easier to learn and demands a higher level of fitness, therefore more effective quicker than tkd.

to be honest it would be difficult to make a case against, that for these reasons,.
kickboxing is generaly much the most effective of the stiking arts at any age or school

Latest Discussions