Which hapkido style do you study.....how long?

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which style of hapkido do you study? How long have you practiced? How often per week is your class?

Mine is Moo Sul Kwan Hapkido. I have been studying consistently for about 6 months after a two year medical layoff. Hapkido class, where I am at is once per week.

H Whalen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hapkido chundokwan Black Belt since 1977 before it was cool or the topic of the internet

hal

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
H Whalen said:
Hapkido chundokwan Black Belt since 1977 before it was cool or the topic of the internet

hal

Do you mean Chon-Tu-Kwan aka Combat Hapkido?? Off and on for the past 3 years..I most concentrate on their police tactics program..

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Combat Hapkido, now that's an oxy-moron. I would offer the "Caveate Empator" saying when dealing with this extraction, but there are many posts relating to this to be found here.

As for Mr.Whalen, well that's like comparing a BMW to an Edsel, if you get my meaning.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
doc clean said:
wow. this ought to be good.

Sorry to diappoint ..Think what you will of it..It has helped keep me alive on the streets...

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually don't have an opinion of Combat Hapkido either way. My comment was in reference to you asking if Master Whalen studied Combat Hapkido.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I meant no offense and to Master Whalen..If he is offended I offer my apologies...

H Whalen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If I can't say something nice I will say nothing............ If only I had that type of self control..

I was one of the first if not the first American to attend the KHA instructors course in 1981 certificate 81-76 this befroe it becamre the KHF. I was a 5th Dan in Hapkido 'BEFORE" John P started Hapkido in 1989 or so.

I Do not take offense where none was meant I have taugth Hapkido in several Dojangs over the years in and around Boston my longest was run for 22 years and we turned out many Black Belts .

Hal whalen

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ummmm. . . .Combat Hapkido. Twice a week for just a couple months now.

:)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
OK, what's the beef with Combat Hapkido?

Don't know..Some have a real problem with it..Hey, it works for me as fsr as street applications so I'll keep studying it..Some have a problem with its founder Grandmaster John Pellegrini..I find him passionate about his art, a knowledgeable instructor..

spud

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been training & teaching on & off for over 20 years under the same syllabus as i was originally taught by my instructor (as he was taught by his instructor) using the Dae Han Min Kook Hapkido Hyup Hwe syllabus Manual. What it all means ? maybe some of the more well studied people here can shed more light on. My instructor is Korean but all classes were taught in english as he believed it more appropriate to teach in the local language as he had made Australia his home. All i know is after studying several styles (i love all the arts) Hap Ki Do became my passion, my joy & my pain for life.

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
my passion, my joy & my pain for life.

Spud you just said the resounding credo of hapkidoan all over.

-Matt

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Matt, you should check over on the Hapkido Forum website... there's a guy who just started posting there who must be from your school... he talks about GM Park from Girardeau. You probably know him. Look in the Introduction section, under a thread called something like "Greetings from the Missouri bootheel".

Take care, Howard

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks man. By the way, do you have a link? Which hapkido forum website?

OP
matt.m

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that is my bud Scott. He is a 2nd dan Tae Kwon Do. He got the nickname dominator a long time ago.....He was good at running people out of the ring while sparring.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
my passion, my joy & my pain for life.

Spud you just said the resounding credo of hapkidoan all over.

-Matt

I agree..Especially for those of us who were a wee bit older when we first started...

Latest Discussions