Which Blade would you use

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikido includes some basic sword forms, so if I had to choose a traditional weapon, I'd go with a katana for the same reasons. But, my switchblade comes to mind as it's the only bladed implement I carry and use every day, know the balance of, etc. Plus, it doesn't limit my empty hand techniques.

Edit: Does it count if I mount a bayonet on a loaded M4?
I'd take my poor katana skills over my reasonable knife skills, if I'm facing a long weapon.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spears I use certainly have a blade as well as a sharp point. Think: dagger on a pole.
Most do have some blade to them, and many are designed with the ability to cut. I just assumed the OP's classification. I'd rather have a spear than a sword. For one thing, my staff skills are mediocre, while my sword skills are poor.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most do have some blade to them, and many are designed with the ability to cut. I just assumed the OP's classification. I'd rather have a spear than a sword. For one thing, my staff skills are mediocre, while my sword skills are poor.
It would depend on the situation. If I had open ground and room to move, then I would definitely go with the spear. If room is somewhat limited then I’m looking at sword or dao. If it’s tight quarters, then tomahawk and/or knife.

I don’t feel that my skills with any of these are excellent, but I have some training and am familiar and comfortable enough with them all that I suspect I am better than most people in today’s modern society, where most people don’t train with these things. So there lies my advantage.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No, I do not. You said any bladed weapon. That is a bladed weapon. You said nothing about only being able to use a portion of the weapon.
Are you going to restrict other weapons to only certain parts?
You can use the entire gun. You just don't get any bullets.

OP
Razznik

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But I don't have any guns that aren't loaded.

Premise: Dirty Dog would never have an unloaded gun.
Premise: This bladed gun has no bullets in it.
Conclusion: Dirty Dog would never have this bladed gun.

Simply put, I'm hearing you say, then, that you wouldn't have this gun because it's not loaded.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gun that you mentioned is a photo from the internet, so you don't own the gun, so you can't load the gun.

But I do own that setup. Not that specific individual serial numbered gun, but one much like it. And the bayonet. I own 6-7 guns that it will fit. And they're all loaded.

Premise: Dirty Dog would never have an unloaded gun.
Premise: This bladed gun has no bullets in it.
Conclusion: Dirty Dog would never have this bladed gun.

Simply put, I'm hearing you say, then, that you wouldn't have this gun because it's not loaded.

Unjustified premise. False conclusion.
Rule #1 of guns: Assume every gun is loaded until you have personally confirmed that it is not.
Therefore, unless you are prepared to demonstrate that you own that specific gun, you cannot assume it is not loaded. And even if you do own it, I, and everyone else reading this, would still need to assume it is loaded.
Conclusion: Dirty Dog would make damn sure it's loaded.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Unjustified premise. False conclusion.
Rule #1 of guns: Assume every gun is loaded until you have personally confirmed that it is not.
Therefore, unless you are prepared to demonstrate that you own that specific gun, you cannot assume it is not loaded. And even if you do own it, I, and everyone else reading this, would still need to assume it is loaded.
Conclusion: Dirty Dog would make damn sure it's loaded.
Assuming every gun is loaded until you have personally confirmed that it is not actually supports the premise that some guns are unloaded. Sorry, Charlie.

Unless you're suggesting something like Schrodinger's cat, where the gun is simultaneously both loaded and unloaded at the same time, until someone confirms its state.

But even then, we have already established that this gun is unloaded, meaning, we have confirmed that it is in an unloaded state (i.e., we have opened the box and seen that the cat is, in fact, dead). So, to catch up:

Premise: A gun can be either loaded or unloaded.
Premise: This gun is unloaded.
Premise: @Dirty Dog would never have an unloaded gun.
Conclusion: @Dirty Dog would never have this gun.

If we examine premise 3, I think we could actually challenge that, too. I mean, are your guns always loaded? Do you ever unload them, for example, to clean them or to discharge them at the firing range? If so, then, this isn't quite right. It would be more accurate to say that your guns are always stored in a loaded state, though there are times when they are unloaded.

Just saying, it's a cool gun, but in this discussion, where guns aren't loaded, I think you argued yourself out of it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming every gun is loaded until you have personally confirmed that it is not actually supports the premise that some guns are unloaded. Sorry, Charlie.

Unless you're suggesting something like Schrodinger's cat, where the gun is simultaneously both loaded and unloaded at the same time, until someone confirms its state.

Not really Schrodinger postulates that you do not know the state of the cat. Gun safety postulates that you DO. It's loaded.

But even then, we have already established that this gun is unloaded, meaning, we have confirmed that it is in an unloaded state (i.e., we have opened the box and seen that the cat is, in fact, dead).

It's really pretty simple. Even if you have confirmed the gun is unloaded, I have not. Therefore, as far as I am concerned, it is assumed to be loaded.

So, to catch up:

Premise: A gun can be either loaded or unloaded.
Premise: This gun is unloaded.
Premise: @Dirty Dog would never have an unloaded gun.
Conclusion: @Dirty Dog would never have this gun.

Again, your incorrect conclusion is based on a false premise. I have not personally confirmed that this gun is unloaded. Therefore, it is loaded.

If we examine premise 3, I think we could actually challenge that, too. I mean, are your guns always loaded? Do you ever unload them, for example, to clean them or to discharge them at the firing range? If so, then, this isn't quite right. It would be more accurate to say that your guns are always stored in a loaded state, though there are times when they are unloaded.

Granted. They are unloaded while being cleaned or as they're being reloaded. Of course, I only clean or fire one at a time, so even when A is unloaded B will be loaded. The gun pictured, however, must be assumed to be loaded.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have some questions.

What is meant by "bladed?" If something has a cutting edge is it bladed?

And getting to the title... if something is bladed, can we consider it to be a "blade?" Is it that simple?

I'm asking because, an arrow has a cutting edge, as do some crossbow bolts. While clearly a bullet is not bladed, and to suggest that a gun is appropriate is just silly (preposterous, even! ;)) I think I'd bring a crossbow bolt, and the crossbow to shoot it. A bow requires too much skill, but I think I could make a crossbow work without too much practice.

Latest Discussions