Where do you see Kenpo in 15 years?

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings

... Met some great AKKI guys Jason Bugg, Tim McCord, some of Brian Duffy's current senior students, a few of the old NCKKA Chinese Kenpo senior students from San Antonio, or ex-students (Jeff Schroeder from Austin) and a bunch of Curtis Abernathy's students (Parker/Palanas lineage.)

Optimistically Respectful -
Oos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Mr. Billings,

It was great to get a chance to meet you as well. I really should have floated around a little more. I would have loved to "feel" some of your Kenpo. I also wanted to hang with Kirk more. The thing I respected about your attendance was 1) you were a 4th (the highest ranking in the house) willing to line up in a seminar with a person who is of a lower rank than you, and 2) when you stepped up and said, "I'll stand behind my belief that Kenpo is a complete art".

Just a note of clarification, I am not a AKKI student, but I am a friend of Terry McCord in Houston. It was probably easy to mix that up since I had no identifying patches on other than the Universal Pattern. I actually spent most of my time playing with Mary & Toby Rodriguez and will hopefully be doing some training with Mr. Duffy in the near future.

Regards, Jason Bugg:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Wheelchair! Cause that's what Dennis Conatser will have me

doing when he gets old, WHEELING HIM AROUND! :eek: :rofl:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

You earn another feather.......:p

:asian:

Picking up steam here........................:D

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by RCastillo

Wheelchair! Cause that's what Dennis Conatser will have me

doing when he gets old, WHEELING HIM AROUND! :eek: :rofl:
That is assuming your "HitMan" cracks don't wind you up in the one next to him. Hmm, I wonder if they make those double wheel chairs like they do strollers......:confused:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to get a word in edgewise regarding the suitability of Kenpo as a military weapon. Trust me ... It is suitable, and dare I say, it's origins are military. All differences (social, political, cultural, etc) aside, the origins of Kenpo are steeped in arts of war.

Don't forget that the original arts, Pre-Ed Parker, are from a totally different culture, whereby warriors were expected to not only be able to kill in both unarmed and armed situations, but as well, knock the nuts off a gnat with a bow and arrow, arrange flowers, write poetry, make ceremonial tea, and have a gift for creating paintings. And before any body here beats on me, this goes way back to before Mitose, even ... :lol:

The Kenpo techniques that we learn today in commercial schools (for the most part, Clyde!) are not diluted down, per se. They are, however, more specific to our cultural needs and social requirements. In most places that I have been in the past 20 years, you can not carry bow and arrow, nunchakus, swords, sai, tonfa, bo, etc. In some states in America, it is illegal to carry the weapons at all.

But military? It's history is military. It's origins are military, and basically, the culture is military, or perhaps militant, in origin. Even back to the Shaolin Temples and before.

Two of my Black Belts went into the Marines a number of years ago. One went to the Fast Companies. The other went to Swimmer Scouts. Both of these are Special Operations Units. One of them was, later, in the Kosovo debacle. Both have taught their art, pretty much as I passed it to them, to Delta Force and SEALS in training. (And I don't even have an advertisement in Black Belt Magazine).

Our methods are different now ... We tend to require more of a thinking person's approach to the arts, thus we have what some people may tend to call, "Analysis Paralysis". Is that good? Well, Yes and No. For us, today, it is good to have something that we can flow into a path or school of thought as we progress. We need it, in order to feel complete as we pursue this thing we call life.

In a mass war setting ... No, we don't need that, at all. In fact, there should be, for mass teaching in a war setting, a lot less description and discussion. Training, due to time and necessity constraints, is usually, very limited in number of techniques and basic understanding. e.g. 35,000 soldiers don't need to know the whole philosophy or concept of marriage of gravity or 150+ techniques. They only have to know and make workable, the fact that assuming a wider stance, dropping their weight as they rotate their hips and exhale while striking, creates a stronger strike... Thus increasing their survivability, and more importantly, allowing the enemy to die for his cause and country, all the more successfully. If our soldiers survive, then they can, at their leisure, learn more.

The military heirarchy, we are probably stuck with, for at least the next 10 to 20 years.... :lol:

Dan

OP
B

brianhunter

I was not saying kenpo could not be used for war...I was just saying kenpo is not the military. I know how kenpo works on the streets first hand it has gotten me through several times, no baton, no mace, no gun I have faith in its "martial" ability.

The military also teaches things to the lowest common denomenator to do the most good for the whole or group hence a triage of what does the most good for the least amount of time this is not true for kenpo it is to be tailored to the students needs.

I think I might have worded it wrong or was misunderstood but again I think kenpo would work on the street, on the battlefield, in chucky cheese etc. I just dont feel like I should be treated like Im in the military to discover and learn it, that is all.

Mr. C., I was not aiming some of my thoughts at you, if you felt that way I am sorry, a lot of things have been bugging me lately and yes I did have a bad day, Im sorry if it came off as an attack and no I have 17 years to retire with the police dept Im not going to work for the post office.....YET I guess I could still take a gun to work that way :rofl:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Seig

That is assuming your "HitMan" cracks don't wind you up in the one next to him. Hmm, I wonder if they make those double wheel chairs like they do strollers......:confused:

I dont know, but if they don't, here's your chance to invent one, and make millions!:rofl:

We'll see your late nite infomercials on TV!:eek:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Brian!

You still got me confused about the militayr thing, then!

Can you try again, and move your lips very slowly so I can keep up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan "I may be slow, but I sure can't keep up" Farmer

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Mr. C., I was not aiming some of my thoughts at you, if you felt that way I am sorry, a lot of things have been bugging me lately and yes I did have a bad day, Im sorry if it came off as an attack and no I have 17 years to retire with the police dept Im not going to work for the post office.....YET I guess I could still take a gun to work that way :rofl:

Wheeeeeee Ok good, you had me worried for a minute..... I just didn't want you to go postal on me .....LOL Man don't let those bad days get to you!!

Take care
:)

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Sigung86

Hey Brian!

You still got me confused about the militayr thing, then!

Can you try again, and move your lips very slowly so I can keep up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan "I may be slow, but I sure can't keep up" Farmer

he he Okay...I think martial means more "warlike" as opposed to "military" you can use it for war and that still falls under the definition for martial....I think that in being a Martial Artist....you are studying an art that can be used for war or henceforth make you a warrior...... Thats my goal/lifestyle

What I am in disagreement with is saying "martial" means strictly military....I think some people take this too far and saying that since its a "martial art" you should teach and treat it like the military.

I think Im confusing myself now but I hope I cleared this up a bit...Too much heat and not enough rain in kansas lately I think Im about brain fried

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I'm at a loss for words here, I have no Idea where you are coming from? If I didn't know better I'd say you worked for the post office, ease up for gosh sakes........ lol

Ok now ease up on us postal workers, we're people too ya know, and we...*sobbing*...just want to...:wah: ...fit in with others...:(

Besides, they take our weapons away at the door :mad:

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Klondike93

Ok now ease up on us postal workers, we're people too ya know, and we...*sobbing*...just want to...:wah: ...fit in with others...:(

Besides, they take our weapons away at the door :mad:

Dang and I was gonna apply!!!

OP
J

jeffkyle

To work for SWBT and i found that Wasp Spray works well on dogs, to well however....It will kill them if too much is applied in the right spot!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.. and I am certain I would not like him going "postal" on me, pepper spray or not. He certainly can open a can of postal whoop-a#@ on you.

I guess I'll post this now, I got your post, if you are a postman do you have to ring twice? I am heading to bed post haste, before I am postdated ... I'll be watching "The Postman", the movie with Kevin Costner.

MB
(Isn't it nice that MartialTalk thanks you for your posting after each post?) Enough already.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wise guy!!!!!:mad:

P.S. I'm going to e-mail Mr. Duffy as one postal worker to another and get him to unleash some "postal woop-@$$" on ya :D

Latest Discussions