Tell us about your style of Kenpo

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Living in The Upper Midwest (Milwaukee) not allways the most choices, but - Back when started in Tracy's Kenpo, school closed down , just before black belt. Jumped around a bit (shorin Ryu, GoJu and TKD). Hooked up with a KaJuKenPo teacher (Algene Carulia downline).
From there explored a bit
Now I am mentered by Gm Don Jordan under the system of Shorinji Taegar Kenpo (quite a mouthfull) Which is a Blend of kenpo, Shorin ryu, Arnis, Hung Gar, and Shorin Ryu, Aiki juitsu
Other major influences are Shihan Mike Burton, GM DeAlba and Hanshi Juchnik (Founder of the Gathering)
I kept the name KaJuKenPo party because of my teacher of that art, also it is kinda generic (no offense to anyone) cause we do Locks, blows and Throws,.
People who ahve shared really cool stuff
Nathan Oretaga - KajuKenBo
GM Kuana (sp?) - Kara-Ho (patient teacher)
GGM ALEMANY - Kenpo
geaorge Elmer-Kenpo
Tony Annesi(sp?) - karate
Soke Harris Warren _Nippon Jutisu (excellent)

Wish list
SL4 - Mr. Chappel
BKF - Sanders
KaJuKenBo - really anyone!
Sorry to run on and on
Todd

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
I study American Kenpo.

Our curriculum is a combination of Parker's system and Tracy's system. After discussing this with some of my fellow students, I understand that the moves in the two systems are very similar it is just the names that are different.
Chuck

Although I am not one of your fellow students - you would be wrong in your assumption in many instances.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I study Shorinji Kempo. From my observations it is quite different to the American styles of Kempo many of you guys study.

Shorinji Kempo is the martial art that was developed by Doshin So, it is based on his life’s experience in the study of martial arts, both in Japan and China. It not only concerns itself with fighting techniques, but also with the study of its philosophy based on Kongo Zen Buddhism. The technical side of Shorinji Kempo is built around three different categories of techniques, although they all are designed to complement each other in a seamless integration. Goho covers the stiking, blocking and deflections; Juho covers throws, locks, pins and chokes; the last is Seiho, this is the medical side and covers massage, joint manipulation, and pressure point use for improved health. We all train under the one syllabus no matter where or who we train with, although because of Shu, Ha, Ri there will be minor differences in the way some techniques are taught.

I like the warmth and understanding of human relationships that Shorinji Kempo has, as well as the vast technical understanding and training methods.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
I study American Kenpo.

Our curriculum is a combination of Parker's system and Tracy's system. After discussing this with some of my fellow students, I understand that the moves in the two systems are very similar it is just the names that are different.
Chuck

Doc said:
Although I am not one of your fellow students - you would be wrong in your assumption in many instances.
I'd like to say that the first system I studied under was wholly Parker's American Kenpo, but since I didn't study under Mr. Parker I can't say that. When I have been lucky enought visit studio's that bill themselves as "Parker Kenpo" I see much the same.

I did also study Tracy Kenpo and found some similarities and some differences. For example, the Circling Wing that I learned in EPAK was similar to one of the Tracy variations Crash of the Eagles. Tackle Techniques (in Tracy) were much like the Ram techniques in EPAK. The EPAK Blinding Sacrifice I learned was like both variations of Tracy's put together (I can't recall the Tracy name). I believe that the movements of EPAK's Obscure Wing (for a obscure shoulder grab) and Tracy's Japanese Stranglehold (for a rear choke) were almost exact in one variation.

But I also saw some techniques in Tracy's that I didn't think were "great" techniques (that's my personal opinion and no insult intended--after all, I'll bet we all have our favorite technique and our least favorite technique even in our "base" system).

I spent a short time at an AKTS school and I did some things a little differently than they did; but quite a bit of stuff was the same.

The most surprising part of all the differences/similarities I've encountered is this: I left my original instructor in 1992 and returned to visit him in 2002. I performed forms and techniques with slight differences to his black belt class in 2002. Now I am left to wonder if I changed or they changed...or how much we both changed.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray said:

I'd like to say that the first system I studied under was wholly Parker's American Kenpo, but since I didn't study under Mr. Parker I can't say that. When I have been lucky enought visit studio's that bill themselves as "Parker Kenpo" I see much the same.

I did also study Tracy Kenpo and found some similarities and some differences. For example, the Circling Wing that I learned in EPAK was similar to one of the Tracy variations Crash of the Eagles. Tackle Techniques (in Tracy) were much like the Ram techniques in EPAK. The EPAK Blinding Sacrifice I learned was like both variations of Tracy's put together (I can't recall the Tracy name). I believe that the movements of EPAK's Obscure Wing (for a obscure shoulder grab) and Tracy's Japanese Stranglehold (for a rear choke) were almost exact in one variation.

But I also saw some techniques in Tracy's that I didn't think were "great" techniques (that's my personal opinion and no insult intended--after all, I'll bet we all have our favorite technique and our least favorite technique even in our "base" system).

I spent a short time at an AKTS school and I did some things a little differently than they did; but quite a bit of stuff was the same.

The most surprising part of all the differences/similarities I've encountered is this: I left my original instructor in 1992 and returned to visit him in 2002. I performed forms and techniques with slight differences to his black belt class in 2002. Now I am left to wonder if I changed or they changed...or how much we both changed.

Let me simply say, don't presume that your knowledge of Ed Parker's Kenpo is sufficient through your experiences to make that specific judgement regardless of rank or time experience. The majority of the specifics of the system are not available in the majority of the commercial schools.

C

Chaso0903

I study Shaolin Kempo or Shaolin Chuan'fa in california with united Studios of self defense more later a student just came in for a private ussd.net take a look

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Chaso0903 said:
I study Shaolin Kempo or Shaolin Chuan'fa in california with united Studios of self defense more later a student just came in for a private ussd.net take a look
:)

patfromlogan

White Belt
Reaction score
My first kenpo was Kajukenbo (Sifu Steve Davis) and it was a lot of fun here in Utah. I had done some karate when I was in high school in Honolulu and I like the fluidity. When visiting Hawaii I went to lower Kalihi to find the school and couldn't locate it. It was up a staircase above a bakery. The locals were kind of giving the haole boy the 'stink eye' until I asked "Excuse me but could you tell me where the Kajukenbo school is?" Then it was weird, everyone seemed to back away and get real polite.

Years later I did some time in a Parker split off, one that got rid of some of the more "silly" (IMHO-now don't get mad, you guys know everyone in a white gi laughs at you until you slap 'em upside the head!) techniques like slapping yourself and the ten zillion named routines (and had NO Mormon influence). It, like Kajukenbo was a real friendly school, with old, young, male and female all getting sweaty and bruised.

When I'm visiting family in Hawaii I am lucky to have joined and work out with Universal Kempo Karate, Prof Martin Buell's organization. I haven't spent very much time with them but it has been great. They are a Kajukenbo split off, and have lots of branches. As a white belt I can work out with the two branches run by Instructor Eric. One is near my family's home in Kailua, the other in Kalihi. The Kailua branch is large and diverse, and I got a real kick out of being the old haole guy working out in Kalihi near the birthplace of Kajukenbo with a group of locals (and several tough looking ones, too). The people are so friendly; brotherhood is emphasized. I noticed when I joined that all the advanced students made it a point to come up to me and introduce themselves.

Here in Utah I've joined a Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo dojo. The instructor is Fred Perales, himself a student of Hanshi Juchnik. The diversity of techniques (standup, clinch, locks, ground, stick, sword) and the emphasis on avoiding anger and fighting are very interesting. It seems that it is taking me forever to learn the 'going with it' flow, but in the other karate dojo I attend the sensei has noticed that I'm better! The greatest lesson I've learned was when a big guy was resisting a takedown and I forced it and threw him. Sensei ran over and said that that wasn't the way to do it. I was saying that since he was fighting it I had to use force and he then showed me how you can reverse the move to go with the power. Hmmmmmm.... Still working on that one.

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Chaso0903 said:
i studied at USSD's local school and my experience was horrible. I will never return to USSD even though you give me FREE private lesson for the rest of my life.

their belt testing was so EASY and LAUGHABLE and my old USSD instructor was not an instructor. I must say he was a saleman. He tried to sell vitamin crap to his students and did all the shitttttty stuffs. I BYE BYE him and the rest of USSD schools in no time.

i haven't SEEN any *shaolin* element in USSD's techniques at all. What a sad EXPERIENCE.!

I'm not here to trash my OLD *organization*. If you wonder why their belt testing is so EASY and LAUGHABLE, all you have to do is to go to their Lake Forest headquarter to see how they test their students and you will know what I mean.

i'm glad that I'm in a good hand now and i need to focus on my training. I'm happy with my current instructor.

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
patfromlogan said:
The greatest lesson I've learned was when a big guy was resisting a takedown and I forced it and threw him. Sensei ran over and said that that wasn't the way to do it. I was saying that since he was fighting it I had to use force and he then showed me how you can reverse the move to go with the power. Hmmmmmm.... Still working on that one.
Sounds like you found some decent instruction. I was showing that principle about 3 weeks ago, angles of least resistance, sometimes it's better just to go with it for an even better effect.

DarK LorD

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Let me simply say, don't presume that your knowledge of Ed Parker's Kenpo is sufficient through your experiences to make that specific judgement regardless of rank or time experience. The majority of the specifics of the system are not available in the majority of the commercial schools.
Thanks for the feedback. I am certain that I have a great deal to learn and appreciate the fact that people like you make knowledge available.

(If, upon first reading, it sounds sarcastic; it's not--I really do appreciate those who have great knowledge and strive to educate others).

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
Thanks for the feedback. I am certain that I have a great deal to learn and appreciate the fact that people like you make knowledge available.

(If, upon first reading, it sounds sarcastic; it's not--I really do appreciate those who have great knowledge and strive to educate others).
I don't think you were sarcastic at all, you just want to learn. It's one who comments here who can't answer w/o being condescending. One can be educated w/o being put down, especially when you didn't say anything bad. Go figure.:idunno:

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
patfromlogan said:
My first kenpo was Kajukenbo (Sifu Steve Davis) and it was a lot of fun here in Utah. I had done some karate when I was in high school in Honolulu and I like the fluidity. When visiting Hawaii I went to lower Kalihi to find the school and couldn't locate it. It was up a staircase above a bakery. The locals were kind of giving the haole boy the 'stink eye' until I asked "Excuse me but could you tell me where the Kajukenbo school is?" Then it was weird, everyone seemed to back away and get real polite.

Years later I did some time in a Parker split off, one that got rid of some of the more "silly" (IMHO-now don't get mad, you guys know everyone in a white gi laughs at you until you slap 'em upside the head!) techniques like slapping yourself and the ten zillion named routines (and had NO Mormon influence). It, like Kajukenbo was a real friendly school, with old, young, male and female all getting sweaty and bruised.

When I'm visiting family in Hawaii I am lucky to have joined and work out with Universal Kempo Karate, Prof Martin Buell's organization. I haven't spent very much time with them but it has been great. They are a Kajukenbo split off, and have lots of branches. As a white belt I can work out with the two branches run by Instructor Eric. One is near my family's home in Kailua, the other in Kalihi. The Kailua branch is large and diverse, and I got a real kick out of being the old haole guy working out in Kalihi near the birthplace of Kajukenbo with a group of locals (and several tough looking ones, too). The people are so friendly; brotherhood is emphasized. I noticed when I joined that all the advanced students made it a point to come up to me and introduce themselves.

Here in Utah I've joined a Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo dojo. The instructor is Fred Perales, himself a student of Hanshi Juchnik. The diversity of techniques (standup, clinch, locks, ground, stick, sword) and the emphasis on avoiding anger and fighting are very interesting. It seems that it is taking me forever to learn the 'going with it' flow, but in the other karate dojo I attend the sensei has noticed that I'm better! The greatest lesson I've learned was when a big guy was resisting a takedown and I forced it and threw him. Sensei ran over and said that that wasn't the way to do it. I was saying that since he was fighting it I had to use force and he then showed me how you can reverse the move to go with the power. Hmmmmmm.... Still working on that one.
can you tell me what you are studying right now because you learn many styles at 1.? Are you confused when you try to learn all of them at 1 time.??

thanks

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ray said:

I didn't think you were being sarcastic. We are all students.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dr. Kenpo said:
I don't think you were sarcastic at all, you just want to learn. It's one who comments here who can't answer w/o being condescending. One can be educated w/o being put down, especially when you didn't say anything bad. Go figure.:idunno:
Yeah, go figure.

Latest Discussions