Future of Kenpo

K

Kenpo Yahoo

In twenty years most of the kenpo "seniors" will be out of the loop, so to speak (a nice way of saying GONE). Where do you see kenpo in 20 years? How about 10 years? Will people still be doing the techniques that Ed Parker Sr. outlined? Will kenpo still be around or will it have degenerated to the same level as MOST (not all) TKD associations (a generalization I am borrowing from an ex-kenpoist turned Systema, but I'm not gonna name any names).

What about all these associations? Do you think they will fracture as did the IKKA way back in the day? (that's somewhat of a rhetorical question) What happens to kenpo then? In what direction will the up and comers of today move OUR art? For some of you seniors out there, what would you like to see from us young'ins? What do you NOT want to see happen?

OP
J

Jill666

While I suspect yahoo may be thinking too hard, :uhohh: I am very interested in the responses from different areas.

I've seen a huge interest in Kyosho, but I don't know if that is just this region or even just my circle.

I've studied under Nick Cerio, who wasn't with APAK or United Studios etc; now he's gone and there's been a split in HIS school :rolleyes: So even one generation later I find it hard to speculate.

Now I'll shut up for the more learned & experienced:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

While I suspect yahoo may be thinking too hard, I am very interested in the responses from different areas.

I'm actually just trying to see what everyone thinks

Since I'm not sure how to check the date on those threads I'll assume that people may have differing opinions by now. What direction would you like to see kenpo move? Are there aspects that aren't being emphasized as heavily now as they once were? If so how will that translate into future generations?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you need to align yourself in an organization with the same beliefs you have. Train, study, and learn as much as you can under the guidance of a kenpo senior. If you find the right instructor that suits you then you won't have these questions about where kenpo is going or has been. Focus on keeping kenpo alive through your instructor then you will have a strong foundation and skills in which there will be no questions.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, the kenpo seniors will keep on keepin on. They all have their top students, and have instilled in them the same quality and tradition SGM Parker passed on to the seniors themselves. There will always be bickering and one-up-manship in Kenpo, as in life, but EPAK will always have its following.
Also, there will be off-shoots and those that take what they have and add to it, delete from it, etc.... The technology that is available to us today, ie; the internet, cd-roms, web-meetings, etc, will only compound over the next two decades, making kenpo even more accessable to all those that choose to partake.

LONG LIVE KENPO,
Gary C.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I think you need to align yourself in an organization with the same beliefs you have. Train, study, and learn as much as you can under the guidance of a kenpo senior. If you find the right instructor that suits you then you won't have these questions about where kenpo is going or has been. Focus on keeping kenpo alive through your instructor then you will have a strong foundation and skills in which there will be no questions.

Gee, thanks Mr. Farnsworth, that sounds like me all the way!:)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Gee, thanks Mr. Farnsworth, that sounds like me all the way!:)

Are you trying to agree with me for the 3rd time??????????:erg: :samurai:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
Are you trying to agree with me for the 3rd time??????????:erg: :samurai:

Well, ...........I thought you were recognizing greatness, namely ME!:cool:

OP
B

bahenlaura

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
In twenty years most of the kenpo "seniors" will be out of the loop, so to speak (a nice way of saying GONE). Where do you see kenpo in 20 years?

Well,
I believe Kenpo will go on, weak or strong it will go on. Now the strenght will entirely depend on the student and the teacher. How well Mr. Parkers material were prserved and tought and how well the teaching was received by the student. After all Kenpo is going on after Mr Parker's passing. Some Good and some Not so Good but never the less it is going on.
That is my take.
Burt E.
:rolleyes:

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

If you find the right instructor that suits you then you won't have these questions about where kenpo is going or has been. Focus on keeping kenpo alive through your instructor then you will have a strong foundation and skills in which there will be no questions.

I am aligned with an excellent organization, at least in my opinion, and I am very happy with my current instructor. My questions are simply inquiries about the feelings and opinions of my fellow kenpo practitioners

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
What I do not see beinbg mentioned here is the relationships of the people with in the organizations and the reltaionships of people in one organization in relation to another. Those relationships and those alone will dictate where we are in 20 years.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All that I hope is Kenpo (from the Parker line), stays as a system concerned with logical self defense. And those who wish to traditionalize the system stay in the minority.

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Zoran
All that I hope is Kenpo (from the Parker line), stays as a system concerned with logical self defense. And those who wish to traditionalize the system stay in the minority.

What do we consider "traditionalized"? When does something become tradition? Thats where the problem is I think, not everyones definition of it is the same. So what do you guys think? What is the test or standard for something to become tradition?

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by brianhunter
What do we consider "traditionalized"? When does something become tradition? Thats where the problem is I think, not everyones definition of it is the same. So what do you guys think? What is the test or standard for something to become tradition?

Something I'd like to know myself.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter

Marion Webster definition of Tradition.
an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)

Traditionalized would be to make traditional.

Basically what that means to me is to stick to a certain pattern of thinking and doing things. Never going "outside the box" when it comes to looking at the system as a whole. Sometimes we get wrapped up in the rules, forms, and techniques, we loose the big picture.

Just my opinion. :asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
EXCELLENT THREAD!!!

Traditionalizing Kenpo, to me, can mean more than one thing.

To some I think it means that the techniques are never done in ways that Mr. Parker didn’t do them or teach them. Those who are claimed as traditionalists could then say “Mr. Parker seldom did things the same way twice, but the base, the point of reference remains the same.” I think they are right for the most part, BUT: Mr. Parker didn’t just change/alter the execution of techniques… but also altered the set curriculum as well, always trying to refine it and sophisticate it further and further in a continual process of renewal. Unfortunately his promulgation of Kenpo schools outgrew his ability to get the “new” out there. Change came slowly, sometimes at the pace that he could travel to get it out, sometimes at the pace that people would accept. His changes rocked the boat quite often, but people accepted it because…hey, He’s Mr. Parker and I’m not. Some traditionalists (those whom I would say are traditionalizing Kenpo) appear to think that no-one can improve on the system that Mr. Parker set forward except Mr. Parker. Therefore they’ve kept the foundational landmarks and features of the system unchanged for the past 13 years or more. I respect that, I really do! The system that Mr. Parker taught and got out to the masses is AWESOME!!! No doubt about it; but it’s not what I want from Kenpo. I don’t want the Kenpo of 1990, I want the Kenpo of February 2003. That’s why I belong to a group whose leadership continues the process of renewal and innovation/creation; the precedent that Mr. Parker set.

So, what is “the traditionalization of Kenpo”? It’s the hesitancy to change/refine or create/innovate onto the base curriculum of American Kenpo Karate.

Is ‘traditionalized’ Kenpo good. NO. It’s great! But it’s standing still, not moving forward. It can be practiced with great heart, creativity and freedom, it’s founder father saw to that! But this heart, creativity and freedom is up to the individual alone… as the system is bound in tradition.

I hope I’ve not ruffled feathers. If I have, lets talk…
Not bicker.
Thanks…
Your Brother
John

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

What do we consider "traditionalized"? When does something become tradition?

When you do something simply for the sake of doing it, or because that is the way that it has always been done. Tradition isn't neccessarily a bad thing, yet we don't want to become so set in our thinking that we don't give new ideas any credence simply because that isn't what WE were taught in the beginning.

What I do not see being mentioned here is the relationships of the people with in the organizations and the reltaionships of people in one organization in relation to another.

I agree, that relationships will play a big role in the future of OUR art, but those tend to be a bit personal and somewhat hard to gauge.

As for inter-organizational relationships, that tends to be a bit sketchy. The reason I say this is because most of the inter-organizational relationships are based on friendships between Seniors. Most of those guys and gals were buds back in the IKKA. They are able to remain friends or cordial acquaintances based on a level of mutual respect either because of ability or past history together.

So what you have now is a group of second generation American Kenpo students (Ed Parker's IKKA would be first) who are either attached to a school or organization that STEMMED from EPAK but have, as other's mentioned, either added their own material or focused on specific aspects of the curriculum. Very few have any interorganizational bond so when this second generation has come to an end the third generation (that's us by the way) takes over what do you think we can expect in regards to interorganizational cooperation or acknowledgement. As sad as it sounds I believe the bickering and mud throwing will reach an all time high.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Do you think that certain negative aspects could be avoided if new leadership were to be announced and promoted (not in rank but in the marketing sense)? There are obviously both positive and negative consequences of such an action.

That’s why I belong to a group whose leadership continues the process of renewal and innovation/creation; the precedent that Mr. Parker set.

I wholeheartedly agree. I hope you get to make it to the March camp.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
No money
No time

see you next fall though...
:wah:

MAN I wish I could go in March!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gonna miss out on some good new stuff (AGAIN) I hear.

ENJOY my Brother.
Please PLEASE let me know all about it, PLEASE.

Your Brother (And this little piggie stayed home...)
John

Latest Discussions