When Training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1) When you train do you train to get get in shape?
2) get stronger and faster
3) train for strickly SD
4) just for fun

Please answer with what fits you the best and if over the years it has changed why and when in your training did it change?
Terry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
3) train for strickly SD
4) just for fun

Please answer with what fits you the best and if over the years it has changed why and when in your training did it change?
Terry

In college, my buddies & I trained for SD. It changed after that cuz I realized that I could train not to fight. In seminary, I trained to fight in the ring, cuz I trained for amateur full contact fights. Now I train to get stronger & faster...but I do havea lot of fun, too.:ultracool

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
3) train for strickly SD
4) just for fun

Terry

well really i train for all of the above

I like to stay in shape and MAs help

Definately speed is part of it

I think ever since starting MAs there has always been a bit of SD............more so in the past few years

I reckon Fun has a big part to play, if ididnt enjoy it i wouldnt do it

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train to learn and improve on what i now can do. Getting in shape was never a thought because when I started you where given enough exercise that you got in shape if you wanted to or not. Self defense came with the learning as did discipline, respect for others, getting faster, etc.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strictly SD...As it was when I started and continues now..

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I train to improve my fitness, speed, and strength and to have fun. For me, SD is a byproduct.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am like a blender, I mix them all together. The levels of which vary from session to session.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
3) train for strickly SD
4) just for fun

Terry

I'd say that all 4 would apply to me. The workouts provide a great source of cardio, an increase in strength and speed should be noticeable within a short time of training, SD has always been a part of the art, and I enjoy going to class. I've had the chance to meet and workout with many great people.

Mike

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To answer my own question I enjoy the cardio at my pace but it is more about the techniques now and the SD.
Terry

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When you feel you are in top shape...things get very easy to do.

There are a lot of MA people out there...but how many have the physcial endurance to last in a class? or a real fight?

Number on the list...should always be...BE in excellent shape...it may mean running everyday,excerise,weight training,eating the right foods,mental prepareness,

After a hard training and having a hard time breathing? ....not ready for a real fight to survive!

This goes for all sports/activities...you will need to be in excellent shape to really enjoy the whole thing.

Remember if you are with a friend hiking and a bear chases you....you will only need to out run the friend, not the bear! .........Aloha

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do heavy weight training for strength---optimal-range reps in a power rack, weighted optimal-range dips, etc.---and I don't think anything beats that kind of extreme lifting for strength gains. But for me, the whole *point* of strength training is to serve my MA training, and when I train MA, it's always for self-defense. In the same way, I do interval sprints for aerobic fitness, but the point of that fitness is endurance for MA training---which means, for combat survivability.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Little bit of all three. I train to get my body in better shape, but my method of training is focused on self-defense and the body strength and speed are need to execute the needed techniques...but it's fun, too :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was younger (a long time ago) I trained for strength, speed, cardio and competition with some Self Defense. Now that I am a little older (+ wiser) I train for strength, speed, cardio but mostly just for Personal Protection skills.

Of course it has always been fun!
icon6.gif

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I did it for enjoyment from the start. I still do it for the same reason. The fact that I've gotten in shape and lost 50+ lbs. and can defend myself better than before is just an added bouns.:)

Latest Discussions