When the kata is applied to self defense

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dictionary says that an assertion is "a confident and forceful statement of a fact, belief or opinion'...

No requirement to be unsubstantiated at all...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In your opinion.

In my opinion, most would be worse off.

In fact, in my opinion most wouldn't exist.

If it was purely about "effective fighting" my school would have maybe one member (not me) and no instructors. This forum would be you and two others arguing about whether to stay standing or go to ground.
Come on! You can’t say, in fact, in my opinion. Mrs. Wagner, my 4th grade, Language Arts teacher is literally rolling in her grave.

Just kidding... she’s not literally doing anything anymore. ;)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Come on! You can’t say, in fact, in my opinion. Mrs. Wagner, my 4th grade, Language Arts teacher is literally rolling in her grave.

Just kidding... she’s not literally doing anything anymore. ;)

I can by the grammatical rules of English.

Because, it's a fact that I hold that opinion.

I'd dearly love you to show how it's not factual that I hold said opinion.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
eh talking to ones self ummmmm there is a name for that too lol

I've always found that talking to myself ensures intelligent arguments are made and rebutted - it's simply a choice to converse with a better class of debater ;)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I can by the grammatical rules of English.

Because, it's a fact that I hold that opinion.

I'd dearly love you to show how it's not factual that I hold said opinion.
It’s just, you should be ashamed. It’s not elegant. It’s like when someone says, “Don’t do that. What you do do is this.” Do do? Come on. We are better than this. ;)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then do pray tell how it appears as your post ? or are you trying to offload again ?
You should probably quote people saying things when you make these sorts of accusations. Otherwise, it appears quite disingenuous.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. My point is that an unsubstantiated fact is not an opinion. :)

According to the rules of the internet, all your reasons are rendered null and void by the final mistake.

It doesn't matter whether anything else was right or wrong, it's all been overruled.

It'd be like spelling something incorrectly, or using the wrong there/their/they're ;)

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s just, you should be ashamed. It’s not elegant. It’s like when someone says, “Don’t do that. What you do do is this.” Do do? Come on. We are better than this. ;)

No you just sitting on a train glasses on(with cord attached) setting a new fashion statement ...and are bored

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
According to the rules of the internet, all your reasons are rendered null and void by the final mistake.

It doesn't matter whether anything else was right or wrong, it's all been overruled.

It'd be like spelling something incorrectly, or using the wrong there/their/they're ;)
Dammit!

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't you start getting all high brow too

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
However you may well have met or seen some of the gentlemen who love tattoo's there ... if you go back a tip don't upset them I would suggest you don't tell any of them that umm well what you have here ...ya might regret that

On a more serious note, I said earlier that Judo largely supplanted traditional Japanese jujitsu, and Bjj and MMA is finishing the job. The same is occurring in China where MMA and Bjj are gaining in popularity, especially as exponents of MMA and similar arts beat traditional stylists in highly publicized challenge matches.

This is largely my point: People aren't dumb, and excuses and promises of "masters hiding in the mountains" only goes so far. Despite common belief, people are attracted to martial arts in order to improve their general fighting ability. Many of us didn't get into martial arts to learn how to dance, many of us got into it because we saw Bruce Lee spin kicking a goon in a face like some sort of superhero, and we wanted to be like him. More recently, people got into martial arts because they saw a small man from Brazil submit people much larger than him with relative ease. In the end, if your art isn't producing the results you desire you either create a fantasy around it, or you leave and seek the martial art that you feel is producing results. However, we'd be lying to ourselves if we didn't acknowledge that people are headed in a similar direction.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You should probably quote people saying things when you make these sorts of accusations. Otherwise, it appears quite disingenuous.

You really wanna get into it again ? so you can tell me all the things that you do or are you just for the sake of all others gonna back off ?

Your call

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

You expect a bastardised amalgam of at least 10 disparate languages to be elegant?

That's as bad as asking me to look pretty for a photo :D

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On a more serious note, I said earlier that Judo largely supplanted traditional Japanese jujitsu, and Bjj and MMA is finishing the job. The same is occurring in China where MMA and Bjj are gaining in popularity, especially as exponents of MMA and similar arts beat traditional stylists in highly publicized challenge matches.

This is largely my point: People aren't dumb, and excuses and promises of "masters hiding in the mountains" only goes so far. Despite common belief, people are attracted to martial arts in order to improve their general fighting ability. Many of us didn't get into martial arts to learn how to dance, many of us got into it because we saw Bruce Lee spin kicking a goon in a face like some sort of superhero, and we wanted to be like him. More recently, people got into martial arts because they saw a small man from Brazil submit people much larger than him with relative ease. In the end, if your art isn't producing the results you desire you either create a fantasy around it, or you leave and seek the martial art that you feel is producing results.

I give up

you should be a politician ...honestly you 'd be fantastic they to can wriggle and roll like you and try and get outta things .... run for office I'm sure you'd win

just don't tell em you were in the Kabukicho that may lead to some rather unpleasant ads getting run against ya

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I give up

you should be a politician ...honestly you 'd be fantastic they to can wriggle and roll like you and try and get outta things .... run for office I'm sure you'd win

I practice Bjj. You didn't know that I can wriggle and roll to get out of things? That's sort of my specialty.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You really wanna get into it again ? so you can tell me all the things that you do or are you just for the sake of all others gonna back off ?

Your call
No, I was just offering advice on how to engage in productive conversation. You have claimed I have said things that I haven't said mid conversation if you don't like a fact or argument put in front of you, and now I see you are doing it to someone else.

If you actually provide a quote of them saying it, then all doubt is removed. Then you are responding to something that was actually said, rather than something you made up. Dealing with made up responses does nothing to advance a dialogue.

Latest Discussions