When bullies get out of hand

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
from http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/23/MNPC10AK04.DTL

Anthony Cataldo of Oakland first raised concerns about aggressive bullying at his son's elementary school last year after Zachary lost four teeth on the playground - but he said he received only a verbal assurance that things would change.
Cataldo said he complained again when some boys at school kicked 7-year-old Zachary in the stomach three months ago but got no response.
Now - two days after an older student slammed Zachary against a tree, fracturing his skull and sending the first-grader to intensive care - Cataldo is hiring a lawyer, and school officials are paying attention.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Poor Zach... sounds a lot like the school years I've had at his age. My slow progression to the study of the Martial Arts help change that by the time I was ready to leave High School .
Sounds to me that little Zach needs a good instructor. Because if the school board/staff aren't going to do anything but rhetorically say they'll put an end to it then Zach might have to end it himself.

Hopefully the little guy will be alright soon. My prayers are with him.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I'm afraid that's one negative aspect to my personality that I haven't quite yet expunged, is a certain amount of fierce black joy at the thought of any bully coming to well-deserved harm. Especially when it's obvious the wronged parties won't get any justice any other way.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zero-tolerance at work...ain't it great. :angry:

If I ever have kids, they will be told that they should avoid trouble if possible (and to report any bullying, etc.). However they will also be taught how to effectively defend themselves and I will make sure they understand that they will have my full support if they have to protect themselves in a situation like this.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have a couple of wishes:

* That Zachary will learn some good martial art

* That the bully will pick on some guy who happens to know one of (I think) the best American Kenpo motions --> you stomp down (HARD) on the opponent's foot, crushing the metatarsals. It won't end the fight -- but its a really good way to get started with Mr. Bully, haha!

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, yes, this burns me up. I would hope that the bully will someday pick on someone such as a US Army Ranger or an American Kenpo black belt student --> one that trains in the ways of Ed Parker.

This will definitely teach that bully about potent martial arts. He wishes to fight --> okay, then.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

A very depressing picture can be formed when you line up this thread - where genuine school predators are allowed to rampage freely - and the zero tolerance thread, where kids defending themselves are harshly disciplined as if they were the problem.

Question for skool administrators: What the Hell are you thinking?

One serious note - do not wait until your kid is half killed in 3 violent incidents. Sic the lawyers, the police, the media, the legislators on them. Be after them yourself before the first punch is thrown, at the threat stage. I have done this. It works.

Brian S

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A very depressing picture can be formed when you line up this thread - where genuine school predators are allowed to rampage freely - and the zero tolerance thread, where kids defending themselves are harshly disciplined as if they were the problem.

Question for skool administrators: What the Hell are you thinking?

One serious note - do not wait until your kid is half killed in 3 violent incidents. Sic the lawyers, the police, the media, the legislators on them. Be after them yourself before the first punch is thrown, at the threat stage. I have done this. It works.

Definately! My son is in kindergarten. Recently the was picked on by some "friends" because of his speech problem.
I wrote emails and spoke to the school administration to make sure this doesn't escalate. It hasn't happened since.I've got my son's back.

Get well soon Zach.

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm afraid that's one negative aspect to my personality that I haven't quite yet expunged, is a certain amount of fierce black joy at the thought of any bully coming to well-deserved harm. Especially when it's obvious the wronged parties won't get any justice any other way.

Times like this I wonder........what 5 legally-protected minutes in a locked room with Zach's bully would do for that kid's discipline.

Fixed that for ya then.

:eek:verkill:
---^ (bully)---------------(me)^-----

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really feel for this kid and his parents. We had exactly the same problem here in Minnesota. As far as I'm concerned all 'Zero Tolerance' policies do is create victims out of the innocent.

The pack of amateurs that claimed to be 'edumacated' people really sat up and took notice when I contacted my lawyer. As it happens my lawyer also represented the school board! So, he couldn't represent me (what with the conflict of interest and all). What he did was let the school know that my threat to sue the school district and each of them, personally, was likely to cost the school district a lot of money and them their most prized possessions.

For the rest of the school year my son was allowed to defend himself. It took about a week and a half before the bad guys got the message (bruises and black eyes, mostly).

There was one more incident his senior year of HS when one of the old bullies (and about 5 of his friends) tried to pick a fight with him in the hallway. By this time he was captain of the Rugby team while his nemesis was a B team hockey player. Ian picked the kid up by his throat and belt and slammed him sideways into the locker bay saying (and I quote) ... "If you want to fight, let's do it right here and right now. I can do the ten day suspension and still graduate. How about you, genius?"

His DEAN called me on the phone to let me know that this kind of behavior was not really appreciated. I gave him the background and told him that if he suspended my son, I'd take the kid to dinner, go on a 10 day vacation and maybe even buy him a car; and after that he'd graduate, with honors, and finally be shuck of a painfully stupid policy. I also informed him that under no circumstance would my son relinquish his right to self defense.

.... <SILENCE> .... Yep, silence really IS bliss.

John Brewer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Poor Zach... sounds a lot like the school years I've had at his age. My slow progression to the study of the Martial Arts help change that by the time I was ready to leave High School .
Sounds to me that little Zach needs a good instructor. Because if the school board/staff aren't going to do anything but rhetorically say they'll put an end to it then Zach might have to end it himself.

Hopefully the little guy will be alright soon. My prayers are with him.
I second that.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
School personnel, in my experience, are not equipped to deal with bullying. One of my sons was on the receiving end for a while, and the proposed approach taken by the school administration would have further victimized him. "Tell them how it makes you feel when they do that.", I don't think so.

I met with the principal, bully, bully's parents, and my son. In front of them all I told my son he could and should do whatever it takes to protect himself (even if it resulted in serious damage to that little turd), and if the school discipined him as a result, we'd go straight to the toy store and abuse Daddy's American Express. Then asked them all if they heard me. The bully tried hard for the rest of the year to be his friend, props to him. I sent an e-mail summarizing the meeting to the principal with a read receipt.

I'm with you Brian S.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why I feel that judo is one of the best self defense arts for kids. The techniques are not meant to be lethal, but you sure as hell can take a larger person down and OWN THE HELL OUT OF THEM! I started training in Judo when I was 13 and it wasn't long before people learned not to pick on me. My own children will start as soon as I can find a good school.

Latest Discussions