What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's pretty hard to bait me into arguments about Martial Arts, but don't start messing with the game of baseball.

1919 is all I have to say about why Pete Rose (who was my favorite player as a boy) can never be in the baseball Hall of Fame. It is unfortunate, but he crossed the one bright line that can't be crossed in baseball.
They threw the game and bet against themselves. Pete Rose only ever bet on the Reds to win. A nuanced, but critical, difference. In my opinion. :)

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tom Hanks is a good guy, but he's not a great actor, and most of his movies are good in spite of him, not because of him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tom Hanks is a good guy, but he's not a great actor, and most of his movies are good in spite of him, not because of him.
i have a particular dislike of tom hanks as an actor, il see your claim and raise you a '' most of his movies are bad because he is in them..''

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
is google down ? i mean why commit yourself, when you could check

here let me help

are full bateries heavier - Google Search

I suppose Google and Quora (
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
) beat a PhD. in physics......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
*cough*Houston Astros*cough*

False equivalency. The Astros and people violating drug policy should all be accountable for their actions, but none of that has anything to do with Pete Rose.

They threw the game and bet against themselves. Pete Rose only ever bet on the Reds to win. A nuanced, but critical, difference. In my opinion. :)

Gambling is black market, there is no transparency. Pete Rose originally said he didn't bet on sports, then that he bet on sports, but not baseball (still against the rules), then that he bet on baseball, but not games that he was involved in, then games that he was involved in, but never against his team.

The rule is that players and coaches can not participate in para-mutual betting and it's a good rule that he he chose to violate. It's not audit-able and he's burned his credibility to the ground on this subject, so he was banned from baseball for life. Broke my heart, broke my dad's heart. I have no sympathy for him. He is not in any way a victim. There's not "everybody does it anyway" on this topic and one of the reasons is because an harsh example is made of the very few people who decided that they were going to do it anyway.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shoeless Joe Jackson -

In that Blacksox scandal, Joe Jackson's hit 12 base hits, which set a World Series record that was not broken until 1964. He also led both teams with a .375 batting average. He committed no errors, and threw out a runner at the plate.

Some news accounts quoted Jackson, during Grand Jury testimony on September 28, 1920, admitting that he agreed to participate in the fix - but there is no such testimony that appears in the actual stenographic record of Jackson's Grand Jury appearance. He steadfastly maintained his innocence until his death.

Furthermore, he was given a life time ban. That's fine, he served it, he's dead. He should be in the HOF.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif

In the world of touche', that there should be the money shot.

Although a forum recreation of the bar scene in Good Will Hunting might be rather entertaining.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
False equivalency. The Astros and people violating drug policy should all be accountable for their actions, but none of that has anything to do with Pete Rose.

Gambling is black market, there is no transparency. Pete Rose originally said he didn't bet on sports, then that he bet on sports, but not baseball (still against the rules), then that he bet on baseball, but not games that he was involved in, then games that he was involved in, but never against his team.

The rule is that players and coaches can not participate in para-mutual betting and it's a good rule that he he chose to violate. It's not audit-able and he's burned his credibility to the ground on this subject, so he was banned from baseball for life. Broke my heart, broke my dad's heart. I have no sympathy for him. He is not in any way a victim. There's not "everybody does it anyway on this topic and one of the reasons is because an harsh example is made of the very few people who decided that they were going to do it anyway.
While the Astros didn't engage in betting like the black sox or Pete Rose, the entire franchise was literally caught stealing signs. I'm not aware of any of them being banned for life. To be clear, I'm not suggesting Pete Rose be exonerated. I'm suggesting that his punishment is disproportionate to his crime. Or as Kramer said:

Shoeless Joe Jackson -

In that Blacksox scandal, Joe Jackson's hit 12 base hits, which set a World Series record that was not broken until 1964. He also led both teams with a .375 batting average. He committed no errors, and threw out a runner at the plate.

Some news accounts quoted Jackson, during Grand Jury testimony on September 28, 1920, admitting that he agreed to participate in the fix - but there is no such testimony that appears in the actual stenographic record of Jackson's Grand Jury appearance. He steadfastly maintained his innocence until his death.

Furthermore, he was given a life time ban. That's fine, he served it, he's dead. He should be in the HOF.
Someone's been watching Field of Dreams! :D

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In the world of touche', that there should be the money shot.

Although a forum recreation of the bar scene in Good Will Hunting might be rather entertaining.
Do you like apples?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
While the Astros didn't engage in betting like the black sox or Pete Rose, the entire franchise was literally caught stealing signs. I'm not aware of any of them being banned for life. To be clear, I'm not suggesting Pete Rose be exonerated. I'm suggesting that his punishment is disproportionate to his crime. Or as Kramer said:

I never defended the Astros. It just has nothing to do with Pete Rose.

I hate cheaters: Astros, Patriots, Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire...

I'm not defending any of them, but the question was about Pete Rose.

To suggest that because the Astros used cameras to steal signs in 2018 that Pete Rose's lifetime ban from baseball for betting and covering it up should be lifted makes zero sense.

If you want to debate whether the Astros should be dealt with more severely, I'll take your side.

The integrity of the game...any game...is essential.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shoeless Joe Jackson -

If they want to put a Pete Rose exibit in the hall after he is dead that details his career, stats and scandel, then I won't say a word about it. But dude ain't dead, he's never told the truth, never shown remorse and had only argued to get his punishment lifted. I'm confused by how much support he has found, especially outside of Cincinnati.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I love that film. I was thinking bout it last night while I was watching The Natural. I like baseball movies a whole lot more than I like baseball.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have absolutely nothing good to say about Pete Rose. Just an A-hole.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
rolling.gif
well it clearly beats yours, your not seriously suggesting you have such after such a grievous error ? id be asking for my money back if i were you

the top link was from tesla who know a little bit about batteries, god i bet they have a phd or two between them

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
im not sure the people marking this post '' disagree actually understand the game ?

it is however also true, which makes disagreeing even stranger
I'm finding it funny. I feel like the disagree button should be removed for this thread

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I just read through the thread asking the age old question, "Why do Japanese Arts use the Japanese language?" Wow, what a s&#%show. :) But it reminded me of an unpopular opinion I have:

When a non-Japanese speaker uses a Japanese term in English, they are not speaking Japanese. They are speaking English, and using a borrowed word. And in very short order, often within just a few years, the English word will become distinct from the root word, even if they are the same. E.g., sushi.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you want to debate whether the Astros should be dealt with more severely, I'll take your side.

The integrity of the game...any game...is essential.
First, I want to clarify that this is intended to be lighthearted, so while I'm arguing a position, I'm sincerely not trying to poke any sensitive spots!

Now, regarding the Astros, I guess my position is that they should be dealt with more severely, given that Rose and others have been dealt with more severely. OR, we should go back and reconsider the overzealous, heavy handed punishments doled to Rose and Barefoot Jim Johnson... or whatever his name was. :D

Latest Discussions