What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have one controversial opinion that hits real close to home for me (as a TKD guy for the past 25 years and the rest of my life).

When Gen. Choi created the Chang Hon forms, he copied the movements from his 2nd Dan Shotokan experience... but without perhaps a full understanding of the bunkai the movements were based on. This created an empty shell of simply trying to be the fastest or most powerfull, without any discussion around deeper meanings. All serious TKD practitioners should spend some time looking into the original purposes behind the Japanese kata that their forms are based on.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocking out or submitting an assailant is one thing, but if you really want to show who's boss, you have only one choice. You have to give them an Atomic Wedgie.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I
1 st Ed. AD&D is the best of the editions. I do like 5e, but it’s my second choice. Editions 2,3,4 are hot stinking garbage.
That is legitimately controversial. I've played all of them but 4e, including 3.5e. I think the d20 ruleset was a stroke of genius. Making the rules open source led to an explosion of interest in the games, and in renewed interest in creating new games by indie companies.

AD&D was the first, and so it has a soft spot in my heart, but there is no question that 3e and the d20 rules are why anyone outside of a few diehards still play.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No way. THAC0, the silly racial restrictions, unplayable multiclass rules, silly class restrictions...
And don't even think about making sense of the rules for flying and aerial combat. God help the DM if someone gets a carpet of flying and faces off with a wyvern or a roc.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And don't even think about making sense of the rules for flying and aerial combat. God help the DM if someone gets a carpet of flying and faces off with a wyvern or a roc.
Agreed. There were a lot of rules in the early editions which made no sense. For example, weapons restrictions on clerics. So, your gods symbol is a sword, and they use a sword, but you can't?
There has been much improvement with 5E, but there are certainly still things that make you go "wait...what?" I'm not a fan of the 5E rules for two weapon fighting or unarmed fighting, for example.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
No way. THAC0, the silly racial restrictions, unplayable multiclass rules, silly class restrictions...
We developed a binder to answer the unfathomable. House rules is how we titled it. It deals with most issues that dragon magazine didn’t hammer out over the years.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. There were a lot of rules in the early editions which made no sense. For example, weapons restrictions on clerics. So, your gods symbol is a sword, and they use a sword, but you can't?
There has been much improvement with 5E, but there are certainly still things that make you go "wait...what?" I'm not a fan of the 5E rules for two weapon fighting or unarmed fighting, for example.
Overall, I think 5 e is easier use but I don’t love some of the mechanics and story lines. Some of the story lines of the greyhawk modules are very dear to my heart.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We developed a binder to answer the unfathomable. House rules is how we titled it. It deals with most issues that dragon magazine didn’t hammer out over the years.
Now that's a regret I have. I had boxes of dragon magazines starting from 1983 to 1988, and gave them all away when I enlisted in the military.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if you have more than a handful of house rules, you're doing something wrong.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think there should be one week designated every year where bicyclists, obviously not kids or once in a while riders, but the full time "I own the road because I'm on a bike" people, are not allowed to be on the road.

Except for sport. We should be allowed to run them off the road, take their bikes and break them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
that reminds me…
for quite some time, mostly since working for the state and around politician… wait it sounds political bur it really isn’t… there should be a department of stupidity correction… someone does something stupid, or says something stupid, someone from DSC shows up (ex-boxer, the qualification for the job) and punches the offender. Cant avoid it, can’t get out of it, the DSC representative is just doing his job…. I’m betting there would be a lot less stupidity in the government

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
that reminds me…
for quite some time, mostly since working for the state and around politician… wait it sounds political bur it really isn’t… there should be a department of stupidity correction… someone does something stupid, or says something stupid, someone from DSC shows up (ex-boxer, the qualification for the job) and punches the offender. Cant avoid it, can’t get out of it, the DSC representative is just doing his job…. I’m betting there would be a lot less stupidity in the government
It’s a shame stupidity doesn’t hurt.