What's your most controversial, non-political opinion?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Professional use, absolutely. People playing around with them for amusement, just stupid.

I almost hit one with my car the other day. Moron was flying it around and wasn’t up high enough. I wish I would’ve so I could have destroyed it and have him pay for damage to my car.

Edit: My cousin has one. He uses one at work occasionally as a civil engineer. He liked it so much that he bought one for himself. He’s taken pictures of his property, flown it around at parks, etc. I’m like “ok, now what do you do with it?” We both looked at each other like “what’s wrong with this guy?”

If I need one to survey my property or something like that, I’ll rent one. Other than that, I just don’t get it. And it drives me crazy. I know it’s irrational, but whatever.
If you go hiking in mountains, you can use it to see some really cool views that you can't see from the land (or at least the trail youre on)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This turkey talk reminds me of what is most likely y most controversial, non-political opinion

I am not a fan of turkey either, so on Thanksgiving, I prefer Chinese food....Get many of a shocked look from my coworkers with that one.
Do you eat “Chinese turkey” aka duck?

If anyone doesn’t get the reference, see A Christmas Story.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you go hiking in mountains, you can use it to see some really cool views that you can't see from the land (or at least the trail youre on)
Or if you’re lost, I guess you could use it too look around and find a path.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A few years ago, right after Christmas, in the morning, a drone came up to our bedroom window while my wife was changing. She called the cops. Our landlord, who lives next to us, saw it, too, as it came by his house. He knocked it down with a long pole, smashed it to pieces and buried it. Apparently it was a very expensive drone.

Twenty minutes later the cops came walking through our back yard, having been called by the drone owner. Apparently they hadn't heard about our call. They started asking us if we thought our landlord had taken the drone.

I then got into, shall we say, a tiff, with the officers. And I asked them, "so if a drone came up to your bedroom window while your wife was changing her clothes and was naked, what would you do?"
They said they would call nine one one. I then said, "and when the officers responded and were more interested in the drone owners toy than your wife's rights against a peeping tom that was filming, what would you do then?"

They got my point. So did the guy with the drone when I figured out who it was later on. Poor bastard was forced to move off island. Hopefully, he's healed by now. And I have hated those fricken things ever since. As well as those two cops.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few years ago, right after Christmas, in the morning, a drone came up to our bedroom window while my wife was changing. She called the cops. Our landlord, who lives next to us, saw it, too, as it came by his house. He knocked it down with a long pole, smashed it to pieces and buried it. Apparently it was a very expensive drone.

Twenty minutes later the cops came walking through our back yard, having been called by the drone owner. Apparently they hadn't heard about our call. They started asking us if we thought our landlord had taken the drone.

I then got into, shall we say, a tiff, with the officers. And I asked them, "so if a drone came up to your bedroom window while your wife was changing her clothes and was naked, what would you do?"
They said they would call nine one one. I then said, "and when the officers responded and were more interested in the drone owners toy than your wife's rights against a peeping tom that was filming, what would you do then?"

They got my point. So did the guy with the drone when I figured out who it was later on. Poor bastard was forced to move off island. Hopefully, he's healed by now. And I have hated those fricken things ever since. As well as those two cops.
I really wish there was a wow/shocked button. That's what I'd be putting there if I could. Not sure if it's more for the gall of the drone owner in using it to peep, the gall of him again to call the cops (what could he have been expecting the result to be?), or the officers themselves.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Professional use, absolutely. People playing around with them for amusement, just stupid.

I almost hit one with my car the other day. Moron was flying it around and wasn’t up high enough. I wish I would’ve so I could have destroyed it and have him pay for damage to my car.

Edit: My cousin has one. He uses one at work occasionally as a civil engineer. He liked it so much that he bought one for himself. He’s taken pictures of his property, flown it around at parks, etc. I’m like “ok, now what do you do with it?” We both looked at each other like “what’s wrong with this guy?”

If I need one to survey my property or something like that, I’ll rent one. Other than that, I just don’t get it. And it drives me crazy. I know it’s irrational, but whatever.

There's regulations about flying them here and in Europe, you also have to have training to make sure they are safe and if they aren't or you are flying them in the wrong areas, they get taken out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do you eat “Chinese turkey” aka duck?

If anyone doesn’t get the reference, see A Christmas Story.

Only time I ever ate duck, and liked it, was in Beijing, at, what I was told, was a famous Beijing Duck Restaurant. I can't remember the name I'd have to check when I get home

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The duck restaurant was Quan Ju de

quanjude_wangfujing_02.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only time I ever ate duck, and liked it, was in Beijing, at, what I was told, was a famous Beijing Duck Restaurant. I can't remember the name I'd have to check when I get home
The duck restaurant was Quan Ju de

quanjude_wangfujing_02.jpg
I actually think I've been to that very one too Xue! I went with my Mandarin class in 2002, they did a 2 yearly China trip, spent two weeks travelling all over, and we went to a famous duck restaurant, that looks like the one.

Was absolutely delicious... have loved duck ever since!

And ps. Am a biiiig fan of turkey too actually ;D

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
This thread is intended to be light hearted and not serious, and definitely not political or coronavirus related. My friends and I had a pretty good time with this on Facebook, and I thought you guys might enjoy it, too.

The point of the thread is to share your most unpopular, controversial opinion, and be ready to defend it, if needed. Of course, nothing political, and nothing that violates the code of conduct on the forum.

I'll start with something I've kept inside for a really long time, but it's time to say it: Soccer isn't really a sport. It's a way for uncoordinated kids to get some exercise, and a little sunshine.
Brazilian Jujitsu is way too flashy and includes way too many jumping holds to be street effective. The ground work is outstanding, but when I see videos of people in competitions putting on a triangle choke, it pains just imagining what a man in the street would do to them. Body slammed into oblivion.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I actually think I've been to that very one too Xue! I went with my Mandarin class in 2002, they did a 2 yearly China trip, spent two weeks travelling all over, and we went to a famous duck restaurant, that looks like the one.

Was absolutely delicious... have loved duck ever since!

And ps. Am a biiiig fan of turkey too actually ;D

It is likely, it is the one my wife says is the most famous

I went there to meet my in-laws. Had an american idea of what in-laws meant. Found it was not even close to the Chinese view. My mother-in-law was there and I meant my wife', sister, her husband, his parents, all of his brothers and sisters and their wives or husbands and I think there was even an aunt or uncle of my sister-in-laws husband there too. My brother-in-law could not make it that day, but his oldest son did. I believe I was the only westerner in the entire place that evening. I was the center of attention no matter where I was in that place that night, did not help my hair was blond then (now it's turning white)....that drew a lot of attention.

That is the place I learned how these Beijingren pronounce chinese words properly, they hardly open their mouths to speak, and it is also the place I did not understand 1 dang thing....they speak incredibly fast, and there were at least 20 people at that table all talking and my Chinese was nowhere near where it needed to be to keep up...and I don't think I have gotten any better. But I need to start working on it, when this pandemic ends we are planning a trip to Taiwan...and I am rapidly becoming the odd man out in my house. My wife and kids all speak rather well and I have a real hard time keeping up these days.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is likely, it is the one my wife says is the most famous

I went there to meet my in-laws. Had an american idea of what in-laws meant. Found it was not even close to the Chinese view. My mother-in-law was there and I meant my wife', sister, her husband, his parents, all of his brothers and sisters and their wives or husbands and I think there was even an aunt or uncle of my sister-in-laws husband there too. My brother-in-law could not make it that day, but his oldest son did. I believe I was the only westerner in the entire place that evening. I was the center of attention no matter where I was in that place that night, did not help my hair was blond then (now it's turning white)....that drew a lot of attention.

That is the place I learned how these Beijingren pronounce chinese words properly, they hardly open their mouths to speak, and it is also the place I did not understand 1 dang thing....they speak incredibly fast, and there were at least 20 people at that table all talking and my Chinese was nowhere near where it needed to be to keep up...and I don't think I have gotten any better. But I need to start working on it, when this pandemic ends we are planning a trip to Taiwan...and I am rapidly becoming the odd man out in my house. My wife and kids all speak rather well and I have a real hard time keeping up these days.

Nice haha, and same here, I had to constantly ask people to speak a bit (ie... a LOT) slower so I could even vaguely understand haha. Even in my year 12 oral dialogue exam, the examiners were almost SO excited to be chatting with me and I'd have to constantly ask them to repeat haha. Was always much better at the writing and reading.

I'd love to work more on spoken, but soon I'm gonna get back into writing and calligraphy. I always loved writing in Mandarin so now's a good time methinks!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Nice haha, and same here, I had to constantly ask people to speak a bit (ie... a LOT) slower so I could even vaguely understand haha. Even in my year 12 oral dialogue exam, the examiners were almost SO excited to be chatting with me and I'd have to constantly ask them to repeat haha. Was always much better at the writing and reading.

I'd love to work more on spoken, but soon I'm gonna get back into writing and calligraphy. I always loved writing in Mandarin so now's a good time methinks!

My wife, native Chinese, from Beijing. Lived most of her life there, was dealing with something in Beijing, and because she is now a US citizen, they made her take a Chinese language exam. She was the only Chinese person there, the rest were all Americans and Europeans. She actually passed, but did not do as well as many of the rest. She found they were looking for extensive description of the pictures they were shown, and the "foreign" folks wrote pages. She, being a native, gave them a description like any Beijingren would give, paragraph, short and to the point, fewer words the better :D

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Brazilian Jujitsu is way too flashy and includes way too many jumping holds to be street effective. The ground work is outstanding, but when I see videos of people in competitions putting on a triangle choke, it pains just imagining what a man in the street would do to them. Body slammed into oblivion.

Nah, it's just that you hven't trained BJJ. It's a matter of moving your hips away. If you're in a good triangle, the only thing you're going to do in the street is take nap.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Physical fitness is largely about aesthetics and confidence, and doesn't hold much need in the modern world. Think about it:
  • Wild animals aren't really a danger for most of us. For those that are in dangerous areas, there are firearms.
  • Jobs are less and less dependent on physical skills and more dependent on knowledge and experience. Physically-demanding jobs are being replaced by robots.
  • Health becomes a concern. However, an unhealthy person today is going to have a better quality of life and better life expectancy than an unhealthy person even 100 years ago. In 1900, the world average was 31 years. In 2017, the world average was 72 years.
Don't get me wrong. I find people to be much better looking if they are physically fit. I am proud of what I can do physically, and self-conscious about what I can't. But I don't think physical fitness is a necessity in this day and age.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Physical fitness is largely about aesthetics and confidence, and doesn't hold much need in the modern world. Think about it:
  • Wild animals aren't really a danger for most of us. For those that are in dangerous areas, there are firearms.
  • Jobs are less and less dependent on physical skills and more dependent on knowledge and experience. Physically-demanding jobs are being replaced by robots.
  • Health becomes a concern. However, an unhealthy person today is going to have a better quality of life and better life expectancy than an unhealthy person even 100 years ago. In 1900, the world average was 31 years. In 2017, the world average was 72 years.
Don't get me wrong. I find people to be much better looking if they are physically fit. I am proud of what I can do physically, and self-conscious about what I can't. But I don't think physical fitness is a necessity in this day and age.
I disagree with a bit of this. First the physically demanding jobs-there are still jobs that aren't replaced by robots, and I don't know that all of them eventually will. Things like construction require physical ability, but I can't see a robot doing it. There's also smaller things too-bringing a heavy package into a house, running so that you're not late for a class or a meeting, things like that.

And on the cruder side, sex. Having better stamina definitely improves sex, and there are some positions you can't do without either strength or flexibility. That's obviously not necessary for the modern world, but it helps.

Then for health-the world average might be 72 years old, but I know people who have died of a heart attack in their 50s. Most of the people I know above 85 tend to be (or at least were for most of their life) on the healthier side of things. So that's 30 more years of life that the guys who died in their 50s could have had in their 80s.

An extra thing you didn't mention-attractiveness. You did say that, but it still holds a need not for society at large but for individuals. There is evidence, for instance, that if you're more attractive, you're more likely to get a job.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have 2.....
1) I don't really beleive this is what somepnes brain looks like in drugs
8828d52a3f8c1ce38dbcbd40523a15ad.jpg

2) I don't think everyone knows it's slinky

It’s Slinky; it’s Slinky.
For fun it’s a wonderful toy.
What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs
And makes a slinkety sound?
A spring, a spring, a marvelous thing!