What's your favorite hyung?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taegeukkwon. Getting on in years and I deeply appreciate the softer side now.

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What a roller coaster of emotions.
I see the word Hyung and I get excited... finally someone else who still practices TKD forms the old way! Not Tul, but hyung (how we still practice it).
But its Tang Soo Do only. *play sad music here*.
I have no idea what the forms you're talking about look like; and most probably don't know mine (my favorite is Gwang Gae Hyung though for anyone who knows it... picture the Tul version, but without bouncing up and down).

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
I see the word Hyung and I get excited... finally someone else who still practices TKD forms the old way! Not Tul, but hyung (how we still practice it).
I have no idea what the forms you're talking about look like; and most probably don't know mine (my favorite is Gwang Gae Hyung though for anyone who knows it... picture the Tul version, but without bouncing up and down).
I have seen TKD schools that do forms without the sine wave bouncing. Is hyung/tul how you distinguish them? To be honest, the hyung versions do look a lot better. But then again, that could just be me

MadMartigan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen TKD schools that do forms without the sine wave bouncing. Is hyung/tul how you distinguish them? To be honest, the hyung versions do look a lot better. But then again, that could just be me
I believe that to be the case. My style follows the art as close as possible to what was set out in Gen. Choi's 1972 TKD Encyclopedia
20210520_213856.jpg

In this volume the patterns were called "hyong" (I don't know why it's spelled differently).

20210520_213928.jpg

I believe that the name Tul was introduced around the same time as the sine wave method was in subsequent revisions (though that's somewhat of an assumption on my part; not being around when it happened).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have practiced Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do since 1984. I lived through the KKW progression from Palgwe Hyungs to the Taeguek & Yudanja poomsae form sets. I consider myself very fortunate that we still actively practice the Pinon (5), Palqwe (8), Taeguek (8), Yudanja (9) BB forms, and MKD BB forms (most of the TSD BB forms) including the Naihanchi forms. Depending on rank and training time a person can learn as many as 50 forms.

Many people misunderstand this put it really is not hard to balance forms training with all the other aspects of MA training, including sparring, drilling technique, SD drills/techniques, stretching, mental/philosophy, and history (is included in the curriculum).
There is a reason MA's training is considered a lifetime journey.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my part of the United States, schools that teach the Chang Hon forms without the sine wave movement are still common. It has to do with Jhoon Rhee's pioneering days in the region as an early TKD instructor and his champion students like Allen Steen, etc. In fact, I only know of 1 club locally that does the tuls and they are affiliated with the university.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my part of the United States, schools that teach the Chang Hon forms without the sine wave movement are still common. It has to do with Jhoon Rhee's pioneering days in the region as an early TKD instructor and his champion students like Allen Steen, etc. In fact, I only know of 1 club locally that does the tuls and they are affiliated with the university.
I am guessing you are referring to the south/southeast? We do not see a lot of sine wave in TN.

Latest Discussions