What are some of your favorites?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are some of your favorites? And if you like, tell us why.

I have always liked Windmill Guard, Chinese Pincers, Oriental Lever, and Diving Hawk.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love Windmill Guard. With minor variation, it can be used for virtually any frontal attack. And it's so easy to do. I'm also fond of Thundering Hammer, It just so ... just so ... just so devastating.

I'm not so fond of Diving Hawk for a couple of reasons. It's not really a stand alone technique. It's simply a compilation of two techniques (That's not a real problem, I guess), but I don't like the chicken kick. When you are 58 years old, all the joints in your body have been compacted, impacted, and repacted, and you weigh 260 pounds or so (even though I'm 6' plus, the old bod' just doesn't get airborne that easily.

I like Waterfall. It's just so ... Just so ... Just so devastating. :lol:

Japanese Sword ... Gets you inside and it's just so ... Well you get the picture. :lol:

Turning the Handle is just fun, and it's just ...

Flashing Daggers is another fun one... I do a variation of that wherein the hands do most of the work in fast circular motions and it ends with an elbow sandwich and a drop down hammerfist to the groin.

Darting Serpent is simply elegant.

Darkness lends itself to being just so devastating, but it lends itself to a couple of very interesting variations with arm/wrist locks and takedowns.

Whirling Warrior is cool, it makes my head go jingley! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm very fond of Sowing the Seeds, because of my background, extensive Chinese. I like the long fist (like Crane) swinging techniques

Dang! I could go on all night. Just too many reaaaallly great techniques to whittle them down to one or two.
:)

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Dan. How do you narrow that field?

I really like the first 6 techniques of Purple Belt. I feel that, as a group, they are an excellent group to show the differences between the macro concepts of kenpo, jujitsu, and aikido, as well as an excellent place to introduce the 4 Phases of Kosho. Takedowns are introduced, though at this point, they are simply implied.

Aside from that, I really, REALLY like almost everything in 3rd black. It's as if someone said, "Now that you know a couple of hundred techniques, let's take 30 and refine them down to how to destroy somebody really really quickly, with very little effort or wasted motion, and look cool doing it."

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm with Dan. How do you narrow that field?

I really like the first 6 techniques of Purple Belt. I feel that, as a group, they are an excellent group to show the differences between the macro concepts of kenpo, jujitsu, and aikido, as well as an excellent place to introduce the 4 Phases of Kosho. Takedowns are introduced, though at this point, they are simply implied.

Aside from that, I really, REALLY like almost everything in 3rd black. It's as if someone said, "Now that you know a couple of hundred techniques, let's take 30 and refine them down to how to destroy somebody really really quickly, with very little effort or wasted motion, and look cool doing it."

Thanks Dave... I noticed however, that you didn't mention how much you might like Second Black! :rofl:

Can you still roll, jump up and butterfly kick behind you? :mst:

er ... Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm posting this, because I am a nimnul who keeps forgetting to check the notification button! And this thread is too cool to miss, in my relatively old, yet somewhat humble opinion. :rofl:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Dave... I noticed however, that you didn't mention how much you might like Second Black! :rofl:

Can you still roll, jump up and butterfly kick behind you? :mst:

er ... Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Actually, I can. Don't like to, but I do it anyway.

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, I can. Don't like to, but I do it anyway.

Ouch! I'll shut up now. Haven't been able to do all that for a number of years. My hat is off to you, and I proffer up an apology. :asian::asian::asian:

On the other hand ... ON the best of days, this body was not meant to fly. :rofl:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the Arm Hook defensive move. It shows up in a lot of other techs, like Slashing Cougar, Waterfall, Sowing the Seeds, Leveling the Clounds. I sort of do it a bit differently, however, more like Wing Chun's Taun Sau. The angle is a bit different, but I think works a little better for me. This was one of the "ah-ha" moments I have had in studying other arts like Wing Chun, where a lightbulb went on in my head and something about my kenpo suddenly made sense to me in a different way than it did before.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the Arm Hook defensive move. It shows up in a lot of other techs, like Slashing Cougar, Waterfall, Sowing the Seeds, Leveling the Clounds. I sort of do it a bit differently, however, more like Wing Chun's Taun Sau. The angle is a bit different, but I think works a little better for me. This was one of the "ah-ha" moments I have had in studying other arts like Wing Chun, where a lightbulb went on in my head and something about my kenpo suddenly made sense to me in a different way than it did before.

Using this to further expand on another thread, Arm Hook is a war art technique. Crossing Talon is the joint lock/strike version of the same. In some places, the concept is addressed in a separate technique or variation. In others, though, it is left up to the practitioner to discover.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ouch! I'll shut up now. Haven't been able to do all that for a number of years. My hat is off to you, and I proffer up an apology. :asian::asian::asian:

On the other hand ... ON the best of days, this body was not meant to fly. :rofl:

No apology necessary.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping the ball rolling on this one. It is nice to hear what others like!

:asian:

atticus_mathers

White Belt
Reaction score
I only know my yellow belt and some orange techniques and I learned one blue belt technique by accident. I like them all so far, but Japanese sword is one of my favorites because it is so natural. I'm taking the time to become good at it with both sides because most thugs are going to come at you with a haymaker anyway, so it's effective for a righty or a southpaw.
BTW, at the seminar I went to this weekend, I got to see Mr. Erikson sp? do Thundering Hammers. WOW!!! His movements are so powerful and controlled at the same time...
Man, I've got a lot to learn...actually, I ought to be practicing now.

Jim Hanna

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Attacking the Circle

Rolling Evasion

I look at these two techniques as being foundational to the kenpo system as I understand it.

Jim

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Attacking the Circle

Rolling Evasion

I look at these two techniques as being foundational to the kenpo system as I understand it.

Jim

Mr. Hanna , hope all is well. Thanks for bumping the thread again.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
my favorie kata is Okan

my favorie weapon is the sai

my favorite self defense is sumo

my favorite twin multiple set is lock arm

my favorie punch is reverse

my favorite kick is the roundhouse and the list goes on..............

Latest Discussions