What's your biggest advantage?

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just curious about individual advantages. What's yours?

I'll start off with one I've used a lot. I'm 140 lbs. and am generally fairly nonconfrontational. Sometimes even passive...up until a point. So people hugely underestimate me, my strength and speed. I can also go from a passive, non-stance to a full powered, structured blow in a blink. I have used this against people for many years.

Surprise! Oops, to late.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My jab is so good they named a street after it.

36063229_10214661996797294_640345083706605568_o.jpg

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't get rattled and can compartmentalize my emotions to get tasks done. My wife claims at times, I am a cyborg when it comes to feelings and emotions...lol.

But I think that is one of the main reasons I had such a successful undercover career.

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't get rattled and can compartmentalize my emotions to get tasks done. My wife claims at times, I am a cyborg when it comes to feelings and emotions...lol.

But I think that is one of the main reasons I had such a successful undercover career.

With that career, that would have to be a skill...I'd think.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I resemble that remark.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just curious about individual advantages. What's yours?

I'll start off with one I've used a lot. I'm 140 lbs. and am generally fairly nonconfrontational. Sometimes even passive...up until a point. So people hugely underestimate me, my strength and speed. I can also go from a passive, non-stance to a full powered, structured blow in a blink. I have used this against people for many years.

Surprise! Oops, to late.
yes that, but in the larger context, psychology is your greatest asset, using your body langudge to convey what ever message you want whilst reading, their state of mind of mind and intent

if you want to back them off, then turnibg up your aggresion works quite well, very few people axtually want to fight, they just want to bully and intimidate, if you back off they will keep comeing forwards, if you stand your ground, they will most likely stay where they are, if they do come at you it will be slow, they now want to de the male ritual of chest banging and shoving.

thats when to take them out, thats when they least exspect it

OP
E

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
yes that, but in the larger context, psychology is your greatest asset, using your body langudge to convey what ever message you want whilst reading, their state of mind of mind and intent

if you want to back them off, then turnibg up your aggresion works quite well, very few people axtually want to fight, they just want to bully and intimidate, if you back off they will keep comeing forwards, if you stand your ground, they will most likely stay where they are, if they do come at you it will be slow, they now want to de the male ritual of chest banging and shoving.

thats when to take them out, thats when they least exspect it

Yes true. If they start moving in, I start sliding into a stance... based on their distance. That usually stops them cold long before a full stance. Either way, I'll be in grounded structure when my punch lands.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The ability to see a situation turning bad, long before it does and to avoid it, before it escalates.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think mine is that, due to my career taking me all over the US, I have dabbled in a lot of stuff while still having a useful foundation in Jiu Jitsu (both Japanese and Brazilian), Aikido, and Karate. As a result, I can take the fight to wherever my opponent is least comfortable. They strike? Cool, let's grapple. They grapple? Cool, I'm staying back and striking.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As my Puerto Rican coworker said, I practice Puerto Rican Judo.
"Judo know if I have a knife, judo know if I have a gun..."

Latest Discussions