What's with the Martial Arts hand sign?

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
Looks like you're telling somebody to call you if you ask me...but it seems that most Martial Artists use this when standing next to each other for a picture.

Any ideas where this came from? What does it mean?

OP
KenpoVzla

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
ted-royce-gracie-joe1.jpg

Like that, what the guy to right is doing...

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that would be the"skaka" sign or hang loose in Hawaii. It's kinda like a wave

OP
KenpoVzla

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
So it's a Hawaiian thing...

ok ok, now I see everybody does it, not just martial artists....

obama_shaka_sign.jpg

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depending on your culture it means different things around the world. To some it is a sign for the Devil, to others the sign of the Bull etc. You'll see it quite a bit amongst all groups from rock musicians to American footballers :D.

artFling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Depending on your culture it means different things around the world. To some it is a sign for the Devil, to others the sign of the Bull etc. You'll see it quite a bit amongst all groups from rock musicians to American footballers :D.

Actually, there are two different but similar looking signs here. One is the Hawaiian hang loose sign, which extends the thumb and pinkie. Martial Arts strong connection to Hawaii makes it understandable that you would see it.

But the Devil or rock and roll sign is where the thumb covers the ring and middle finger but the forefinger and pinkie are extended.

That's the limit of my understanding on the subject.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, there are two different but similar looking signs here. One is the Hawaiian hang loose sign, which extends the thumb and pinkie. Martial Arts strong connection to Hawaii makes it understandable that you would see it.

But the Devil or rock and roll sign is where the thumb covers the ring and middle finger but the forefinger and pinkie are extended.

That's the limit of my understanding on the subject.

"maloik"

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cheers, Art, for the extra physiological detail. Interesting is it not how what is essentially the same gesture can mean such different things in different cultural contexts?

I have heard that in Italy the sign is an insult, indicating that the recipient is a cuckold. I don't know how true that is - can anyone enlighten us?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cheers, Art, for the extra physiological detail. Interesting is it not how what is essentially the same gesture can mean such different things in different cultural contexts?

I have heard that in Italy the sign is an insult, indicating that the recipient is a cuckold. I don't know how true that is - can anyone enlighten us?

Sure Sukerkin, as soon as you tell me what a cuckold is!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've heard that one too as well, it's to do I think with a cuckolded man wearing horns.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
in sign language it stands for the letter "Y"

What that has to do with getting your picture taken....beats me

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

If you live in Texas, that ain't the devil's sign, boy. That means "Hook 'Em, Horns" and is the symbol used to support the University of Texas Longhorns.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you live in Texas, that ain't the devil's sign, boy. That means "Hook 'Em, Horns" and is the symbol used to support the University of Texas Longhorns.
And, if you're in certain places in the US and Central America -- it's one of the primary handsigns of MS-13.

Handsigns are very context dependent. For example, a few years ago, Virginia's tourism folks came up with a promotion a few years ago, building on the well known "Virginia is for lovers" slogan. They had lots of different posters, ads, and other material put together, showing people forming a heart with their two hands. One little problem... One of the symbols of the Black Gangster Disciples is a winged heart -- which they make a handsign of by forming a heart with their two hands; the fingers form the wings. OOPS! That promotion got scrapped when that was brought out.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

No idea, but...

If you take the 'hang loose' and the 'devil horns' and do both at one (index, pinkie, and thumb extended) that is American Sign Language for "I love you."

The 'devil sign' is also used in Texas as 'Hook 'em Horns' for American football fans, but with the palm out instead of palm in for the Devil sign.

As many know, the 'Peace Sign' in the USA is similar to the 'Up Yours' sign in the UK (or the V for victory). Peace sign is also palm forward, V for Victory is palm inwards.

I used to use the old American sign for "OK" until I got to Brazil. There I was told it was the sign of an arsehole.

I believe the American sign for 'F You' is universal, eh?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought it was the sign for "get me a beer". :)

That too. But you don't wave it up and down, you hold the thumb to the mouth and tip the pinky up to simulate drinking. It's also 'the phone is for you, Flicka!' if you hold the thumb to your ear and the pinky to your mouth. If you do that and mime "Call me" it means "I never want to talk to you but I have to pretend I do."

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As many know, the 'Peace Sign' in the USA is similar to the 'Up Yours' sign in the UK (or the V for victory). Peace sign is also palm forward, V for Victory is palm inwards.

From what I understand, this comes from the old English army focusing on archers more than any other army in old Europe (in fact, archery was rather looked down on for most of Europe's armies, as it was considered "cowardly" to strike from such a distance). England had a long history of Longbow use, with it being a major component of it's military strategies. As a result, when English archers were captured, they would have the first two fingers of their right hand removed, stopping them from being able to use a bow. The "up-yours" signal was a gesture utilised by the English archers after a battle as a form of taunt ("I've still got these fingers, I'll shoot you tomorrow!"), rather than the aforementioned "up-yours". Anatomically speaking, not quite sure how people think the gesture works that way....

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I understand, this comes from the old English army focusing on archers more than any other army in old Europe (in fact, archery was rather looked down on for most of Europe's armies, as it was considered "cowardly" to strike from such a distance). England had a long history of Longbow use, with it being a major component of it's military strategies. As a result, when English archers were captured, they would have the first two fingers of their right hand removed, stopping them from being able to use a bow. The "up-yours" signal was a gesture utilised by the English archers after a battle as a form of taunt ("I've still got these fingers, I'll shoot you tomorrow!"), rather than the aforementioned "up-yours". Anatomically speaking, not quite sure how people think the gesture works that way....

Fascinating! Found this, backs up what you've said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

Latest Discussions