Whats the point of reverse punch?

Bullshidog

White Belt
Reaction score
I am quite curious whats the difference between just throwing a straight in boxing and the reverse punch in Japanese arts.

n fact some of those reverses (at least coming from my background in boxing) can be better spent using an uppercut

In fact the concept of left jab and then reverse doesn't make sense to me. It seems better spent with a traditional left left right combo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I use a similar to the reverse punch as a straight right body shot. It changes my levels without breaking at the hip.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about, because Boxing and what you are calling Japanese arts are two complete different things. How about the reverse punch was designed for something different than the modern day boxing 'straight punch'.
How about because boxing is about using only your fist for contact and the martial arts are about much more unless in a specific type of competition.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assuming this is a real question and not a bait for an argument. Your premise makes no sense. The two punches have completely different machanics. I have pondered for years over which is better for my tastes....but they should not be confused nor should one be discounted simply because of a bais.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am quite curious whats the difference between just throwing a straight in boxing and the reverse punch in Japanese arts.

n fact some of those reverses (at least coming from my background in boxing) can be better spent using an uppercut

In fact the concept of left jab and then reverse doesn't make sense to me. It seems better spent with a traditional left left right combo.

From my experience, the reverse punch is easy to learn at a basic level but very hard to master. When you're first taught the reverse punch you're taught to start with your hand at your hip, palm up, and throw it out and twist it as you throw so that it is palm down when you hit and you strike with the first two knuckles but then as you get more advanced you learn that there is much more to it. There's hip rotation, proper rotation of the hand, pullback, snapping the other arm back as you throw, ect. The straight punch in boxing is done by firing your rear hand forward but you don't rotate your hand since the punch is thrown palm down the entire time. With the reverse punch it is thrown palm up until right at the very end when you make contact and you then twist it so that you finish palm down before quickly retracting the punch. That way, your first two knuckles will drill into the target making it more effective and when you retract the target will vibrate causing it to do even more damage. Also, you want to make your hand as hard as a rock at the moment of impact but otherwise, when you're throwing and retracting the punch, you want it loose. This can be particularly effective against precise targets such as the solar plexus.

With the jab, reverse punch combo is that the jab is supposed to more or less be a distraction to set up the reverse punch. Particularly when you throw a jab towards the face to bring your opponent's attention upstairs and then fire the reverse punch into the midsection full force and to full effect.

In some situations an uppercut or a lef left right combo might work better and with your boxing background you might be able to utilize it to greater effect. But different arts use different techniques. You have to find out what works best for you and use it to your best ability.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the question what's the point of a reverse punch by "point" I believe you mean what's the purpose of a reverse punch, yes?

To hit the other guy. What the heck else would be the purpose?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the question what's the point of a reverse punch by "point" I believe you mean what's the purpose of a reverse punch, yes?

To hit the other guy. What the heck else would be the purpose?
Maybe to draw a bladed weapon and thrust rather than punching. Same fundamental movement different action within the movement.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe to draw a bladed weapon and thrust rather than punching. Same fundamental movement different action within the movement.

Good point, Danny.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A good reverse punch is an excellent setup for a back leg kick as well.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming this is a real question and not a bait for an argument. Your premise makes no sense. The two punches have completely different machanics. I have pondered for years over which is better for my tastes....but they should not be confused nor should one be discounted simply because of a bais.
If you set aside the stylized form of the reverse punch demonstrated in kata and look at how boxers and karateka actually fight in a full-contact environment, the karate reverse punch and the boxing straight right start to resemble each other to the point where there is as much of a difference between two individual fighters than there is between the two styles.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
"When all you have is a hammer everything looks like nails".

If you look at all the movements as either a punch or a block then you miss most of what the application potentials are within any art.
Unfortunately most never learn much more than punching and blocking and are never taught to look at the movement, understand the movement and use the movement for more than a punch or a block.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you set aside the stylized form of the reverse punch demonstrated in kata and look at how boxers and karateka actually fight in a full-contact environment, the karate reverse punch and the boxing straight right start to resemble each other to the point where there is as much of a difference between two individual fighters than there is between the two styles.

Well that is a different subject than what i was addressing.
1..we have to agree on what a reverse punch is
for me it is the traditional, typical shotokan style, hand chambered next to the ribs, palm up position. the arm extends outward keeping the elbow pulled in tight next to the ribs, fist turns palm down at the end of travel. usually thrown with the right hand having the right foot back, left foot forward.

if you compare this reverse punch to a text book boxers straight right . the over all bio mechanics of the body are very different. the major difference is in the orientation of the elbow and the rotation of the shoulder.
(again i like to put in the disclaimer this is only my experience and the way i do things, other people may be different)

in the reverse punch the palm is up and elbow is kept tight to the body. as the arm is extended the hand,elbow and shoulder is kept inline with the force vector that runs parallel with the shoulder (the force vector plane is horizontal) .
in a boxers punch the arm is in a "guard" position to start and the palm position is irrelivant but usually facing the throwers centerline or rotated slightly outwards to the target. as the arm extends the hand is rotated palm down at the begining of the punch which rotates the elbow outward away from the body creating a force vector on a vertical plane. the hand ,elbow and shoulder are now in allignment in a vertical vector plane and extend towards the target.

in a reverse punch (looking at the punch from the throwers right side) the shoulder rotates in a back, down then forward to the target this is counter clockwise rotation.
a boxers punch has the shoulder rotate down, backward , upward then forward to the target. this is clockwise rotation.

my discriptions may be very hard to visualize and without a video clip i dont think i can really get the idea across.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Training. You rarely ever see it in fighting.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I cannot address if it is rare or why..
Rare in sport competition fighting. Very rare.
Each has its place and it's use.
Yeap.

For the most part punching is done from where the hands is. It isn't chambered to the hip prior to punching. If it is at the hip or hip area there was a purpose other than chambering or setting up for a punch.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reverse punch is often the power hand, but that's not a solid rule because people are able to generate significant power from the lead hand. It's just in general the lead hand is the fast punching hand that the other hand is the one that they are going to try to knock you out with.

In martial arts. A reverse punch often takes advantage of the opening that the Lead Hand makes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Training. You rarely ever see it in fighting.
I have never seen that being used in the ring either.

Assume you have trained the reverse punch all your life. If you have never used it in sparring, will you still train that? I won't.

May be the question should be asked as, "Why don't you want to punch from your guard?" If you are only interested in head punch, to punch from your waist will not only open your head up for punching, your punch will also need to travel more distance to reach to your target.

1_step_3_punches.jpg

When you step from CMA into Sanda/Sanshou, that will be the 1st thing that you have to change.

Last edited:

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The purpose of the reverse punch is to deliver an extremely powerful punch. It is rarely used in tournament or street fighting anymore probably because no one really knows how to throw it anymore.

As a training tool, it is a great long range movement for working on end point timing. (Yes, I meant long range...) The drills that are used to develop power at various points of delivery cross over to other strikes.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
A reversed punch is just a punch starting palm up (or mostly palm up) and rotating at the end, and coming back to postion

Thrown all the time in Traditional tournaments and by a lot of karateka in the UFC

It isnt the whole stylized thing we see in forms,

Thats like saying an uppercut isnt an uppercut if im doing it from a International kickboxing stance instead of the traditonal boxing stance

Latest Discussions