Difference between a cross and a reverse punch

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only use the term reverse punch when standing in a left foot forward stance and punch with the right hand.

What do you call it when you're in a right foot forward stance and punch with the left hand??

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you call it when you're in a right foot forward stance and punch with the left hand??
Fighting lefty
And since my left side seems to be either defiant of my will or slightly retarded, punching lefty is an entirely different thing.
But for the rest of the world yeah that could be a reverse punch too.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For us even the lead cross gets thrown different to a cross after a jab.

Punching differs situationally. And if you were to try to break that down you would be dealing with a skill set that contains hundreds of different crosses or reverse punches.

Be more of a mind love than a help I think

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you teach as the difference between a cross and straight? I've understood the distinction as what Danny posted.

The problem comes from the Etymology. "Cross" is a boxing term, at least originally. And most would think that it would be completely standard in the world of boxing. I have not found that to be the case, as it is and it isn't, depending on who's doing the teaching.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem comes from the Etymology. "Cross" is a boxing term, at least originally. And most would think that it would be completely standard in the world of boxing. I have not found that to be the case, as it is and it isn't, depending on who's doing the teaching.

True...I know several who call any relatively straight punch thrown with the rear hand a cross. There are those who call the rear straight a cross explaining, it 'crosses' the body. ???

"The cross is a powerful straight punch thrown across the body originating from the strongest dominant hand (rear hand). The primary target area for the cross is the front of the opponent’s face. Technique wise, the rear hand is thrown from the chin, crossing the body and traveling in a straight line."
Try throwing a punch that way. There will be 'NO POWER'.

So then it is explain, "the rear shoulder is thrust forward as the torso and hips are rotated counter-clockwise as the 'cross' is thrown with the boxer transferring weigh onto the front foot, the body rotation and weight transfer giving the right cross it's power."
While I agree with this action for proper execution of a the rear straight punch the very nature of rotating the body prevents the punch from 'crossing' the body.

Yeah it's a nit picky thing but really pounds my OCD buttons.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technically in boxing what many call the 'Cross' is a Rear Straight.There is a difference in the rear cross and the rear straight (also called a right punch or straight right) There is a vertical rear straight or a horizontal rear straight though today the horizontal is used predominantly. Mechanically both the rear straight and the rear cross are the same but the cross is thrown as the opponent throws a left jab. The rear straight 'crosses' over the opponent's jab hence the cross. If it doesn't cross the opponent's punch then it is a rear straight or a straight right.

You beat me to it. Most use the terms "cross" and "straight" in boxing as if it is the same punch and it is not. They are mechanically different. The cross as more of an "arc" to it because it is going over the opponent's punch.

As to the "reverse punch" chambering at the waist and a boxer doesn't. At some point, you should be punching from where your hands are in karate and not "chambering" your hand for no reason. The chambering is a training tool and does have some application for grabbing/holding and pulling the opponent into a punch. But, you should have your hands up no matter what.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You beat me to it. Most use the terms "cross" and "straight" in boxing as if it is the same punch and it is not. They are mechanically different. The cross as more of an "arc" to it because it is going over the opponent's punch.

As to the "reverse punch" chambering at the waist and a boxer doesn't. At some point, you should be punching from where your hands are in karate and not "chambering" your hand for no reason. The chambering is a training tool and does have some application for grabbing/holding and pulling the opponent into a punch. But, you should have your hands up no matter what.
The hand should not be at the hip unless you are either putting something there (besides your hand) or removing something from that area (draw a weapon).

Latest Discussions