Whats the point of reverse punch?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vertical backfist...uraken tatemawashiuchi can be used in the same way as you described, uraken yokomawashiuchi is the more usual horizontal backfist

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
captain-obvious.jpg
What's wrong with stating the obvious?

It's overly didactic, supercilious, and can reek of condescension. :rolleyes:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are going to be precise then please use the correct Japanese terms as is usual in karate.

Correct Japanese terms? Here are my terms for upperpunch/uppercut that I used when I said ura zuki and Tate Zuki.

Proper Japanse 裏突き
Japanese Romanization:Ura Zuki or Ura-Tsuki
English translation "Upper punch"
Translation Source: Higaonna, Morio (1985). Traditional Karatedo Vol. 1 Fundamental Techniques. pp. 42–46.
ISBN 0-8048-2110-0

Other uses of Ura Zuki:
morote ura zuki
諸手刻み裏突き
also known as
heikō ura zuki
並行裏突き

Morote kizami ura zuki translated from proper Japanese is (two-handed inverted punch or double hand inverted uppercut)

In Shintani Wadōkai, morote ura zuki is this punch:
( ) http://www.shinkitaikarate.ca/Scona/Glossary/M/morote ura zuki/morote ura zuki Shintani.jpg ()

from kata Pinan Godan and better translated as “reinforced inverted punch”

In mainline Wadō ryū, the technique is slightly different and called jōdan ura zuki no tsukkomi 上段裏突きの突っ込み

Source:
Morote ura zuki

_--------_
縦突き
Tate zuki
Tate-Zuki (Tate-Tsuki)
"Vertical Punch"

Also known as seiken tate zuki 正拳縦突き (forefist vertical punch).

This punch is where your Lead-fist is in a vertical position (unlike the typical horizontal fist position used in most punches).
Shingo Ohgami
bild09a.jpg

Shingo Ohgami (8th Dan Wadokai in 2009) demonstrating Tate Zuki in his book: "Introduction to Karate"

tate zuki.jpg

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut and paste is also obvious.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have all the books written by Shingo Ohgami, required reading and study for Wado Ryu karateka, not sure why you would post a photo of shuto yoko mawashi uchi though, has nothing to do with 'reverse' punch.

Now we come to page 95 of Ohgami Sensei's book, interesting this because you have posted a photograph of tatezuki jodan ( there was a photo of tatezuki chudan as well) this is the vertical punch not the 'jab' punch you were talking about, the hand is in a different position, you should have posted the pictures from page 94 seizuki jodan and seizuki chudan.
Ohgami sensei explains how important seizuki is, why it's trained from the waist and why you need to twist the body, it's good reading. Training with him is even better than reading. He trained under the founder

Your cut and paste of various bits and bobs means nothing to be honest, other than go off the subject of 'reverse punch', there is an accepted and understood method of nomenclature in karate, we use words such as gi, matawatte, nage, sensei, uke, tori and dachi all understandable. It's very simple and saves confusion, try it.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cut and paste is also obvious.
Kinda nesscessary, when my usage of a term is called incorrect, so I am obligated to cite reference materials.

Sorry you are not getting what I said when I said it.

I clearly identified my sources for the material, and in no way stated the material was my own.

Merely stated these are examples of what I meant.

Sorry if you dont get me here.
At this juncture, I really dont think your going to understand me or the things I write, so I am not going to further trouble myself with trying to communicate with you.

Peace be with you.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have all the books written by Shingo Ohgami, required reading and study for Wado Ryu karateka, not sure why you would post a photo of shuto yoko mawashi uchi though, has nothing to do with 'reverse' punch.

Now we come to page 95 of Ohgami Sensei's book, interesting this because you have posted a photograph of tatezuki jodan ( there was a photo of tatezuki chudan as well) this is the vertical punch not the 'jab' punch you were talking about, the hand is in a different position, you should have posted the pictures from page 94 seizuki jodan and seizuki chudan.
Ohgami sensei explains how important seizuki is, why it's trained from the waist and why you need to twist the body, it's good reading. Training with him is even better than reading. He trained under the founder

Your cut and paste of various bits and bobs means nothing to be honest, other than go off the subject of 'reverse punch', there is an accepted and understood method of nomenclature in karate, we use words such as gi, matawatte, nage, sensei, uke, tori and dachi all understandable. It's very simple and saves confusion, try it.

Thank you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda nesscessary, when my usage of a term is called incorrect, so I am obligated to cite reference materials.

It was called incomplete and not understandable not incorrect. You failed to understand my analogy and you have failed to post, in your citing of reference materials to make anymore sense. You posted up a picture of a 'knife hand block' saying that "This punch is where your Lead-fist is in a vertical position (unlike the typical horizontal fist position used in most punches)."
There is no 'morote ura zuki in Wado's Pinan Godan either.
None of which has anything to do with the OP's question about the 'reverse' punch.

Latest Discussions