What's everyones thoughts on........

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still carry a Kubatan-Kubotan-kuboton (its spelled several different way) to this very day. I just recently discovered that it can't be taken on board commercial planes. I was
invited to be a referee and they absolutely refused to let me take it even with all of my ID and credentials in order etc. They did let the Captain put my bag with the Kubaton in it in the cabin with the crew. I think this Homeland Security has gone overboard on a lot of things and this might be a good forum to start

The no no on the Kubotans has been in effect here pre 9/11.. I got into it with one of those rent-a-cops that use to screen luggage when I tried to take mine through..I was just meeting someone as they deplane..Remember when you could do that??? The way around that is to pick up a ProTek key www.pps-selfdefense.com Its a great tool and it fits your hand better than the Kubotan..If questioned I tell them its the key to my gun locker at the department...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a kubotan daily. I have even went through security at the courthouse with it. Although, that isn't saying a whole lot.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was working with collapsible batons, the key was to continue the strike through the target and recover the strike after a full range of motion. If we stopped our strike or attempted to reverse motion immediately after a strike the baton tended to collapse back on itself. Especially on a hard target like a carpet wrapped log. So the order of the day was "Nothing fancy" - just crush what you hit and set up for another strike.

One very inevitable result of this was the decision to train attacks on extremities as a full on strike to the head would in all likelihood kill the bad guy or cause severe brain damage. This wasn't really a problem as we were working with law enforcement and they already had that standing policy.

Oh yeah - and as stated before - you get what you pay for so get the best one you can.

akonpittbull

White Belt
Reaction score
I think kobotans are the best weapon in the small hidden weapon category. Basically this is the great think according to me that we can use the pen size weapon any where any time where we want to use. It is not officially declared as a harmful weapon so we can use it.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
collapsible batons. I think the baton would have less problems than other weapons in a court of law, but how effective are they? I have someone willing to teach me, but said it has been 15 years since he has used one. He said I might want to get a good video to go along with what he teaches me. That way, I can see any new tactics that have come out. What would be a good up to date video?

Thanks Guys!

I like collapsible batons, I have a 31" baton on my duty belt. Their effectiveness depends on how extensively you wish to train with them. Unlike some weapons, they do require some level of proficiency to use effectively.

As for videos,I would suggest checking out the Dog Brothers for a realistic view of how to use a stick in a confrontation.

http://www.dogbrothers.com/

Also, Sayoc Kali has put out a pretty good video on Stick Grappling.

http://sayocglobal.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=152

http://www.sayoc.com/?video=1

And another excellent source on source on using the stick as a grappling tool is a classic from Gene Lebell......

http://www.genelebell.com/product-16.html

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Look into a Monadnock AutoLock..One of the best in my opinion and I have trained with EVERY version out there....

I carried an Autolock for quite some time, but the mechanism ultimately broke, after considerable use, however.

Now I carry a 31" ASP with a Monadnock retention cap in a Monadnock pivot holster.

I should point out that if someone is going to carry one concealed, the 31" may be a bit long. I'd recommend a 26" or a 21"........i'd recommend no smaller than 21".

The length of the baton is going to effective target areas. 21" or less and I recommend targeting the hands and arms as primary target zones, as an attempt to attack the legs will put most folks in range of getting punched. One is going to be able to generate considerable less power with a shorter baton, so the strikes against heavy muscle groups may be ineffective. In that event, one should target small bone groups, such as the bony areas of the hands and elbows.

That is why I like the 31", as I can strike the upper and lower legs without ever being in punching range, and the extended length and weight gives considerably more power to the strikes.

One very much wants to learn how to generate power of one is going to use a Baton. A baton is an impact weapon, and power more important than technique. Without power all the technique in the world won't help with an impact weapon.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I still carry a Kubatan-Kubotan-kuboton (its spelled several different way) to this very day. I just recently discovered that it can't be taken on board commercial planes. I was
invited to be a referee and they absolutely refused to let me take it even with all of my ID and credentials in order etc. They did let the Captain put my bag with the Kubaton in it in the cabin with the crew. I think this Homeland Security has gone overboard on a lot of things and this might be a good forum to start..But be careful the baton can and does break.Unless the attacker is armed with a gun, just pull out a can of good old whup *** and put it to um.
I've run into that problem as well. Simply replace the actual kubotan with a small flashlight. It will do everything the kubotan will do, plus having the advantage of shedding light in dark places, and it waltzes right past the jokers at the x-ray machine.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've run into that problem as well. Simply replace the actual kubotan with a small flashlight. It will do everything the kubotan will do, plus having the advantage of shedding light in dark places, and it waltzes right past the jokers at the x-ray machine.

If that won't work, a couple rolls of quarters in one pocket and a spare pair socks in the other.

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think the baton would have less problems than other weapons in a court of law.

Aggravated assault is aggravated assault. A jury might go easier on someone with a baton as oppossed to a gun, but legally the crime is the same no matter what the weapon is (in Canada at least...you'd have to check your state laws on that one). Though if you ever did have to use it in self-defense, one would hope you wouldn't be charged anyway.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Aggravated assault is aggravated assault. A jury might go easier on someone with a baton as oppossed to a gun, but legally the crime is the same no matter what the weapon is (in Canada at least...you'd have to check your state laws on that one). Though if you ever did have to use it in self-defense, one would hope you wouldn't be charged anyway.

Actually, no, a baton may or may not be lethal force, depending on how it is used......shooting someone with a firearm is ALWAYS lethal force.

So if you're not justified in using LETHAL force, a gun is not the choice.......but a baton may be.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I perfer my Maglight, I used to carry one on a hammer holder when I delivered pizza's. It's a trick I learned from my Step Dads biker friends, who used to that, or carry a ball pin hammer the same way.

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Actually, no, a baton may or may not be lethal force, depending on how it is used

Eh...sleeping on my feet. Assault with a weapon, I should have said. Though you could certainly get to aggravated with a baton.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh...sleeping on my feet. Assault with a weapon, I should have said. Though you could certainly get to aggravated with a baton.

That's true, but the difference between a firearm and a baton is that you can injure to degree with a baton........going all the way from a leverage technique that causes no injury, up to lethal force.

With a firearm, it's either used as a lethal weapon or it isn't.......there's no degree injury to a firearm, it's all or nothing.

Of course when the situation calls for lethal force, anything but a gun is a poor substitute........but it's a hammer, and some situations call for more subtlety.