What’s a good knife?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
protection from what ?

if you just want something pointy to stick in someone any old kitchen knife will do

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
protection from what ?

if you just want something pointy to stick in someone any old kitchen knife will do
Yeah but I don’t want to walk around with a kitchen knife in my pocket.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’m looking for a good knife for myself to carry around for protection.
What's legal to carry in your area? A 3" blade? 6" blade? Can you walk down the street with a sword? Can you carry a knife for "protection"? We can make lots of suggestions that may get you arrested, before you use the knife for "protection".

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's legal to carry in your area? A 3" blade? 6" blade? Can you walk down the street with a sword? Can you carry a knife for "protection"? We can make lots of suggestions that may get you arrested, before you use the knife for "protection".

^^^^What Frank said. Here in Arizona, just about everything intended to hurt people is legal: rifles, shotguns, pistols (concealed or open carry, with no permit or training required) and knives, including folders, switchblades, stilettos, sheath knives and big ol' swords. All good. But for personal protection, most law-abiding citizens prefer pistols. Knives have to be deployed too close. You really want to get somebody else's blood all over you? In these days?!?

Also there seems to be some prejudice against knives as being kinda "ghetto", devious, ...a backstabbing assassin's weapon. Out here in the West we feel that good, upstanding Americans should shoot each other like real men. Women too! ;)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gerber and Spiderco are good.

I carry a Kershaw spring assisted....inexpensive but still a good knife.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know how to use a knife in the first place? Your question strongly suggests you don't -- because you would know what sort of knife you want to carry. However, if you're going to carry a knife "for self defense", I suggest finding a good locking blade knife with SOME tactical/fighting features, but mostly something that's a utility knife.

OP
P

psilent child

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you know how to use a knife in the first place? Your question strongly suggests you don't -- because you would know what sort of knife you want to carry. However, if you're going to carry a knife "for self defense", I suggest finding a good locking blade knife with SOME tactical/fighting features, but mostly something that's a utility knife.
Do I know how to use a knife? That’s kind of a dumb question. Do it have extensive training with a knife....no. However, it doesn’t take a genius to stick the pointy end in an attacker. I have had too many injuries to continue martial art training. Those days of me being able to protect myself are over. I’m either going to steel or lead. The blade has to me no more than 5.5 inches

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do I know how to use a knife? That’s kind of a dumb question. Do it have extensive training with a knife....no. However, it doesn’t take a genius to stick the pointy end in an attacker. I have had too many injuries to continue martial art training. Those days of me being able to protect myself are over. I’m either going to steel or lead. The blade has to me no more than 5.5 inches

The Spyderco Matriarch 2 combines a design originally made at the request of a three-letter agency with the Emerson wave feature. Moreover, the blade was specifically designed for use with a slashing motion, making it relatively "natural" for people with minimal knife-specific training to use when a firearm was unavailable. I've had it for awhile now, and it's a good blade. Might be worth a look.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
^^^^What Frank said. Here in Arizona, just about everything intended to hurt people is legal: rifles, shotguns, pistols (concealed or open carry, with no permit or training required) and knives, including folders, switchblades, stilettos, sheath knives and big ol' swords. All good. But for personal protection, most law-abiding citizens prefer pistols. Knives have to be deployed too close. You really want to get somebody else's blood all over you? In these days?!?

Switchblades are legal in Arizona? I thought they were illegal throughout the US.

Also there seems to be some prejudice against knives as being kinda "ghetto", devious, ...a backstabbing assassin's weapon. Out here in the West we feel that good, upstanding Americans should shoot each other like real men. Women too! ;)

Can I shoot them in the back?
Or does it gotta be in the face?

D

Deleted member 39746

To be fair, if you can carry a pistol, a pistol knife combo cant go wrong. Just make sure you keep the knife sharp etc and try and keep it on you specfically for fighting purposes. could always carry a more utility knife on you for day to day cutting. Specfics are always down to your situation.

Oh and i see the "do we cut or stab" as natural fighters argument coming up here.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Switchblades are legal in Arizona? I thought they were illegal throughout the US.

Can I shoot them in the back?
Or does it gotta be in the face?

Yep! Speaking as a recovering New Yorker, some states are considerably more free than others. In my current location of Tennessee, for example, I have two switchblades on my nightstand, several pistols, all of which have magazine capacities greater than ten rounds, and a Steyr AUG chilling under my bed. Couldn't do that back home in NY!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yep! Speaking as a recovering New Yorker, some states are considerably more free than others. In my current location of Tennessee, for example, I have two switchblades on my nightstand, several pistols, all of which have magazine capacities greater than ten rounds, and a Steyr AUG chilling under my bed. Couldn't do that back home in NY!
That seems like a lot of firepower on your nightstand. Are you in a high-crime area?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You sound almost as nutty as my big brother. He got divorced and now lives in a rented casita with his hundreds of guns, knives, machetes, bayonets ... his functional muzzle-loading cannon, and of course his gun-safes, gunsmithing and reloading workshop. :confused:

On the positive side, he collects so much that I haven't had to buy a knife in years (except for my Bart Cham Dao) since he gives me something really cool every Christmas and birthday! :)

Still waiting for him to invite me out to fire the cannon, though.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hurting somebody with a knife takes little to no training. Defending yourself against a knife attack (assuming you can't run away) is an entirely different story.

Harder still is using a knife for self-defense if you aren't prepared to possibly kill or seriously wound your attacker and face all the legal, social and psychological fallout associated with that.

In short, carrying a knife for self defense is not the ideal choice for many people.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of firepower on your nightstand. Are you in a high-crime area?

You sound almost as nutty as my big brother.

I'm actually in a pretty safe area, but, to clarify, that post was more to illustrate what some states allow me to have, as opposed to what I keep loaded and ready. As for what I actually keep ready, I have one pistol-caliber carbine and two pistols ready to go at all times. As for why I own all that stuff, I'm an armed professional and semi-professional competitive shooter... It kinda comes with the territory.

Mind you, none of that is meant to detract from my nuttiness :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not at all. They're legal in at least half the US. And that number is growing, as people realize how stupid it is to make them illegal.

Bedside firepower helps make sure your area stays low crime.

IMG_2567.JPG

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I As for why I own all that stuff, I'm an armed professional and semi-professional competitive shooter... It kinda comes with the territory. Mind you, none of that is meant to detract from my nuttiness :)

^^^^ Detract from your nuttiness? Not at all! :D

BTW my brother may be a little out of control regarding his collecting, but he is also a competitive shooter (and really good for his advanced age, I hear) ..and one of the safest people I've gone shooting with. I was proud to have him instruct my then teenage son in firearms basics ...since the kid would never listen to me at that age!

Latest Discussions