New light bulb...only 50 dollars...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the government is in the business of making light bulbs, by way of a 10 million dollar prize from tax dollars. The result is, as we learned from men in black,''...everything we've come to expect from a lifetime of government..."

http://michellemalkin.com/2012/03/09/government-subsidized-green-affordable-bulb/

Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the prize would spur industry to offer the costly bulbs, known as LEDs, at prices “affordable for American families.” There was also a “Buy America” component. Portions of the bulb would have to be made in the United States.
Now the winning bulb is on the market.
The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.
[...]
How the expensive bulb won a $10 million government prize meant to foster energy-efficient affordability is one of the curiosities that arise as the country undergoes a massive, mandated turnover from traditional incandescent lamps to more energy-efficient ones.

I repeat...

The price is $50.
Retailers said the bulb, made by Philips, is likely to be too pricey to have broad appeal. Similar LED bulbs are less than half the cost.

How do you get people to buy a 50 dollar light bulb, well the way the government usually gets people to do things, you tax or ban the alternative out of existence...

Energy legislation signed by President George W. Bush in 2007 introduced a ban on inefficient incandescent light bulbs, covering traditional 100-watt bulbs this year. Sales of traditional 75-watt incandescents will be prohibited next year, and 60-watt incandescents will go after that.

This is the same Chu who wants Amercian gas prices at the same level as Europe, 8-10 dollars a gallon.

I can't wait till they control everyone's healthcare...

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Leds are great. Low energy low heat and they last about forever. Like 50k hours. I haven't paid $50 for one but I think $25 is worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a house full of CF's. Love em. But my lizard likes the heat an incandescent gives off...needs it in fact to survive.

I'm all for progress, and LED is that, but explain to a single mom struggling on min wage part time that instead of $10 for a house full of bulbs, she'll have to choose between eating that month and buying 2 LED bulbs. Somehow I suspect more people living in the dark.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a house full of CF's. Love em. But my lizard likes the heat an incandescent gives off...needs it in fact to survive.

I'm all for progress, and LED is that, but explain to a single mom struggling on min wage part time that instead of $10 for a house full of bulbs, she'll have to choose between eating that month and buying 2 LED bulbs. Somehow I suspect more people living in the dark.

Well, swapping out a whole house would be tough, but one bulb at a time is doable. As our bulbs burn out, we are replacing them with LEDs. Working out well, and not to tough on the budget. And as I said, we consider it an investment, because they last so long that it's unlikely we will ever have to replace them.

Sent using Tapatalk. Please ignore typos.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With us buying a house, we're looking to do what we can to minimize energy costs, so the LED and CF's are options. But I'd be hard pressed to replace more than 1-2 bulbs a month to be honest.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, swapping out a whole house would be tough, but one bulb at a time is doable.

For you.

Doesn't mean it is for everyone. Like Bob said, a single mom struggling on min wage part time will have to choose between eating that month and buying 2 LED bulbs...

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the future it will be eating, buying LED lightbulbs or arrest for violations of environmental laws governing the lighting of ones home...especially if she buys black alley incandescent bulbs...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may yet come to pass that power companies will hand these things out as sweeteners to PR their Green credentials. They did over here with CFL's ... and they are a waste of time. Not yet convinced by LED's light quality either (too blue by far for my eyes (my blue/red balance was screwed up by childhood measles)) but I am sure a spread-spectrum one will be along soon.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By the way, anything that reduces the shameful waste that is oil consumption for energy production or mobility is a good thing.

Single-mums-on-minimum-wage notwithstanding, once the oil runs out then so does time for a lot of the human race. Current population is 6-7 billion souls. 'Green' agriculture (that done without fertiliser for which oil is necessary) can support 1.5 Billion ... not a hard sum to do that one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
For you.

Doesn't mean it is for everyone. Like Bob said, a single mom struggling on min wage part time will have to choose between eating that month and buying 2 LED bulbs...

And?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't use LED lights or compact florescent bulbs on fixtures with dimmer switches. And you need to redesign the bulb or the socket for 3 way lights. That's a problem...

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst true, the engineer in me gives a resounding "And?" when it comes to the dimmer switch 'issue'. Maybe it's a cultural thing between our countries but in all my life I have been in one house that had dimmer switches. I just don't see it as a problem and if demand is there for dimmable non-incandescents then we'll figure out a way to do it (can't really see a way via messing with the voltage to the unit so maybe with filters?).

Done a quick search for some details on dimming LED's:

http://www.led-lightbulbs.co.uk/main.asp?sitepages=Tech-Dimming-LEDs

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can't use LED lights or compact florescent bulbs on fixtures with dimmer switches. And you need to redesign the bulb or the socket for 3 way lights. That's a problem...

never had a 3-way before a couple of years ago...
and there is an old fashioned way to do that, too: add lights. it's been done on flashlights these days.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

LEDs are fine with a dimmer. Use them all the time on a broadcast studio set.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive never tried the leds but i hate the CFL bulbs they are not bright enough take too much time to light up when i hit the switch. And they cost too much and never last as long as they claim. Plus my reptiles like the heat the regular bulbs put off

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ive never tried the leds but i hate the CFL bulbs they are not bright enough take too much time to light up when i hit the switch. And they cost too much and never last as long as they claim. Plus my reptiles like the heat the regular bulbs put off
That's another advantage of LED over compact fluorescent. They are all the way on right away, much like incandescent, tungsten or halogen.

Sukerkin, not a real answer right now, but on set we use gels to alter the temperature of the light. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_gel We have only recently been able to purchase enough LED lights to light an entire set, but they work really well with other types if you correct the color.

At some point, some smart person will think to change the color of the bulb casing so that the LED lights are corrected to put out a warmer white. But until then, you're absolutely right that the color is pretty blue.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

CF's come in 4 different color temps. Cheap ones are pretty dim/yellowredish. I only buy the ones that are true daylight. 5000+k temp. I've used them for stock art and video work no problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Basically these.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah i buy the same ones the natural daylight flavor but to me they are just not as bright esp outside lights they dont cast the light as far.
Also if its cold outside they take even longer to light up. I also heard they have mecury in them so if true im not sure how thats better for the enviroment when i throw them away.
CF's come in 4 different color temps. Cheap ones are pretty dim/yellowredish. I only buy the ones that are true daylight. 5000+k temp. I've used them for stock art and video work no problem.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical...splay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
Basically these.

Latest Discussions