What weapons does everyone do?

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
but in all reality where are you gonna find a Tonfa outside of The Dojo. I mean the chance of me being able to pick up a tonfa on the street is like .1%
Thats why I learn the Jo too

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonfa on the street can be found in a cane... in a tire iron... a crowbar... a chair... a stool...

Those are off the top of my head...

It was the first weapon I tried in 1982... it's a good tool.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
reason why i wanted to make it my first weapion is because I am a defensive figher i will block before i punch...thats what makes the tonfas so good for me is because they go from a block to a strike in one move... :jedi1:

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am just benining to learn Doce Paras (un sure of the spelling). From what I understand it is some form of Philipino stick work.

I have a little experience with staff and nunchacku, but that is not formal traning.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Currently I train with Hanbo, Jutte, Katana, Kusarifundo/Manrikigusari, Shuriken, and we do training with many more.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
blackbeltedbeauty said:
Hey I was wondering who did what weapon and how long you've been doing each. I do Chinese fans, the bo staff, the 9 section whip chain, and the sai. :whip:
I practice with three weapons, sai, staff, and sword. I think its good to know a double weapon, a long weapon, and a bladed weapon. That is my reasoning behind those three. The sai is my favorite though, it seems to compliment karate quite well, so the learning curve is much easier for me than any other.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's see, um, I'll start with my most effective weapon; myself, next I'll list anything handy with a few exeptions.

Formally I train stick (and it's transitions; machete, sword, short sword, various ethnic names for these), knife (various configurations), karambit, sarong (various flexibles), short staff (jo and spear) and various firearms.

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
anything i can get my hands on. formally we do sword, kama, shoge, shuriken, hanbo, other sticks, metsubishi (blinding powder), and we transfer these concepts to anything else. bat, golf club, trash can lid, mop, etc.

OP
S

Shurikan

Bo Staff (hardwood & Rattan)
Sai
Nunchuck
Balisong
Kama
Tonfa
Chopstick
Chinese Fan

We have 3 sets of each to this point. in my training. I have also trained to small degree with:

Knife (also throwing)
Shurikan
Escrima
Kubaton
Yawara
Spear
and probably some others that i dont recall at this time.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I could prolly use a Bo from my Jo Training...but I would have to play with it for a wile and see what happens.....::looks for Cup::

OP
J

jesse sutton

in our system we do

yawara, bo, short stick, double stick, riot stick, sai, knife, double knife, throwing knives, tonfa, kama, taimatsu, throwing spikes, bow and arrow, rope dart, kogatana, yari, naginata, katana, jofo, and three other things which i'm not even allowed to know about until i get to 6th, 7th, and 8th degree black belt, which wont be for another 30-40 years.

So far... i know Yawara.

But dammit, i know Yawara WELL! Perfection.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jesse sutton said:
in our system we do

yawara, bo, short stick, double stick, riot stick, sai, knife, double knife, throwing knives, tonfa, kama, taimatsu, throwing spikes, bow and arrow, rope dart, kogatana, yari, naginata, katana, jofo, and three other things which i'm not even allowed to know about until i get to 6th, 7th, and 8th degree black belt, which wont be for another 30-40 years.

So far... i know Yawara.

But dammit, i know Yawara WELL! Perfection.
what style is it that you study?

OP
F

FunSPE

Sticks and Knives (Filipino Martial arts) for about 11 years. And firearms. When I was in my teens, I used to play around with the Nunchaku and Tonfas but not anymore.

FunSPE

OP
A

Akula

Main weapons include the mind, firearms (competition target, tactical, and distance), sabre and improvised with whatever is around.

Secondaries include epee, machete, bow, knives, and staff.

Thinking of taking more classes and this list is a pretty good rundown of what is out there. Let's hear more.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I won second place in the intermediate weapions katas for my Tonfa :partyon:

OP
S

sasquatchnaruto

I train with the staff, short staff, sword(katana style suburito), I have a three sectional staff and my favorites are the nunchukas

OP
B

Baytor

The weapons I feel the most confident with are my handgun, shotgun and rifle. After that, I have done some training in the FMA, so I am comfortable with stick and knife work. My hapkido school teaches the cane and the dan-bong(sp?).

Latest Discussions