What weapons are Taekwondo?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To add further pedantry in this thread..... "bo" is a Japanese term for a staff. The Korean term for that type of staff is "bong".

I remember my old Korean teacher being totally baffled as to why people would giggle when he told them to go get their bong.

Reactions: pdg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To add further pedantry in this thread..... "bo" is a Japanese term for a staff. The Korean term for that type of staff is "bong".

I remember my old Korean teacher being totally baffled as to why people would giggle when he told them to go get their bong.
Did he ever say “get your 6 ft bong?”

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
And usually l.we yell the word so people get the energy from us to feedback the energy in their yel

You yell what word? Kihap?

Please elaborate: ".....we yell the word so people get the energy from us to feedback the energy in their yell"

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've seen a few people do that, usually lower grades that get told "you kihap on xx move in this pattern".

One person in particular, it really sounds like they actually say "shout"...

Personally, I'm unable to spell what I vocalise.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I'm unable to spell what I vocalise.

Off topic: Linguistically this is an interesting observation. Why don't we have letters for every sound that our mouths can make?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Off topic: Linguistically this is an interesting observation. Why don't we have letters for every sound that our mouths can make?

I have no answer or theory for that, other than some of the noises aren't deemed suitable/important/relevant to information conveyance?

But even though there are multiple vocalisations for most letters, it's still incomplete...

I'll give it a go.

Htchaitaei

Pronounced as one syllable :confused:

Sometimes it sounds a bit different though :banghead:

pulsescarborough

White Belt
Reaction score
OK... right... but what, exactly, does that have to do with the question, which was "what weapons are taekwondo?"

You don't have to do anything with the question exactly. Taekwondo is not only a combat sport but is also a way of life for enthusiasts around the globe. And going to its weapons "Eskrima Sticks" is one of its famous weapons.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Please elaborate: ".....we yell the word so people get the energy from us to feedback the energy in their yell"

Yes. We yell KIYHAP.

If I say "kiyhap" then most of the kids go "AI--iiiiiiii." Instead of a focused spirited shout, we get a dying cow. If I yell "KIHAP!" then I usually get more enthusiastic shouting.

I've found the cadence of the instructor has a lot to do with the power and energy of the student. If the instructor can inject energy into the way they give the instruction, the students feed on that energy and give it back in the form of more crisp technique, more power in their motions, better stances, better attention to detail, and louder kihaps in return.

In particular, yelling "KIHAP" louder will help cue the students in on how they're supposed to KIHAP.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to work in IT, if I got that response I'd invariably say "if I meant your password, I would've said password".

Interpretation should be contextual, if you were to get told to hold the bo in thirds, seriously how many people would go and grab Bo? ;)

Probably depends on how fast Bo is, or perhaps how big he is. :p

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything with the question exactly. Taekwondo is not only a combat sport but is also a way of life for enthusiasts around the globe. And going to its weapons "Eskrima Sticks" is one of its famous weapons.

"Eskrima", or Kali or a couple other names, is a Philipino martial art. Saying "eskrima sticks" are a famous Taekwondo weapon is like saying the Kung Fu Nunchucks are a famous Taekwondo weapon :p

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just sayin'. 1946. Kwang Ju military base. Lieutenant Choi. Bayonets. :D

29th-fist.jpg

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
In particular, yelling "KIHAP" louder will help cue the students in on how they're supposed to KIHAP.

Had an instructor tell me once. : "Instructor's Kihap weak, then student's Kihap weak"

So forgive me if i still fail to fully comprehend.

I understand if you say "Kihap" loudly as a strong command encouraging the student to make a strong response. i.e "most of the kids go "AI--iiiiiiii.""

On the other hand if you are instructing them to say the word "Kihap" then we will agree to disagree.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We yell it so they get the volume and intensity they're supposed to yell at.

They don't literally yell it back.

Although I don't see the problem if they did.

Finlay

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well what an interesting, if meandering, discussion.

It is my understanding that there are no weapons forms in tkd. Some mastershave tried to develop some however.

I don' think this has been mentioned yet so...

Essentially it looks like tkd movements and way of moving but just with a knife in your hand

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is my understanding that there are no weapons forms in tkd...

Interesting observation. I believe ATA-style taekwondo does do weapons training as part of their standard curriculum...but do they have any forms? Not that I'm aware of.

Chuck Norris's "Chun Kuk Do" variant of Tang Soo Do does have a bo form: UFAF Bo Form

The "Chun Kuhn" style of Taekwondo also has a bo form called "Silla"

Latest Discussions