What type of Sparring does your WC/WT school do?

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At our school we do sparring on saturdays, some saturdays are open to other schools to come over and play. I have the students put on the pads and mouth piece for protection.
One student will be wing chun and the other student use what ever.

They go pretty hard and I am a big stickler for technique. I stop the bout as soon as a the one doing wing chun comes out of technique and explain what they doing incorrectly.

I have a divirsity of students from different backgrounds in martial arts which makes it more fun and intresting.
I also get in with the fun with the more advance students or a guest school blackbelts who has come to spar.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well my Tai Chi classes is pretty laid back. No hard sparring. We basically do light contact sparring, Chi Sau and Push hands. I am starving for some hard sparring. Its been so many years since I spared hard I am all rusty. Anyway Most of guys there are older. An the younger guys I am not sure if they ready for hard contact. But your school sounds pretty great. If your were in St.louis I would be there for the sparring.

At our school we do sparring on saturdays, some saturdays are open to other schools to come over and play. I have the students put on the pads and mouth piece for protection.
One student will be wing chun and the other student use what ever.

They go pretty hard and I am a big stickler for technique. I stop the bout as soon as a the one doing wing chun comes out of technique and explain what they doing incorrectly.

I have a divirsity of students from different backgrounds in martial arts which makes it more fun and intresting.
I also get in with the fun with the more advance students or a guest school blackbelts who has come to spar.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We made some martial buddies when we had the school up like that. (Having your own building is the bomb!) ;)
The Kempo and Jeet Kune Do guys became pretty good buddies, and regulars to Saturday sparring.
That's when I got to see alot of the Zipota our friend trains and teaches. He's spent years training WT and likes to mix the two. Especially likes the knife fighting stuff.
Those were great days for learning to spar against other stylists.
We even had grapplers, wrestlers and MMA guys that came over once or twice. But, they usually only came by once and didn't come back. Guess they didn't like the sparring :waah:. We had the floors covered in mats so takedowns and ground sparring was allowed.
I guess they didn't like getting punched while they were in mount position on a WC/WT student.
Had one girl that trained boxing for years, she liked the sparring sessions alot.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh so when they did take downs and would be on top you guys would still be punching huh. Many people don't believe you can punch while someone has the dominant posistion...

We made some martial buddies when we had the school up like that. (Having your own building is the bomb!) ;)
The Kempo and Jeet Kune Do guys became pretty good buddies, and regulars to Saturday sparring.
That's when I got to see alot of the Zipota our friend trains and teaches. He's spent years training WT and likes to mix the two. Especially likes the knife fighting stuff.
Those were great days for learning to spar against other stylists.
We even had grapplers, wrestlers and MMA guys that came over once or twice. But, they usually only came by once and didn't come back. Guess they didn't like the sparring :waah:. We had the floors covered in mats so takedowns and ground sparring was allowed.
I guess they didn't like getting punched while they were in mount position on a WC/WT student.
Had one girl that trained boxing for years, she liked the sparring sessions alot.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am often fasinated by that, myself. It's so simple, and so "natural" to the human animal! Yet,
People are trained and taught limitations as well as fighting skill. Their TAUGHT that it is not powerful and impossible. But their punching style would not accomodate powerful punching in such a position.

But say, your a grappler, you train to grapple on the ground, very rarely do they punch while on the ground. And I watch these guys in competition in UFC and I see with a WC/WT trained eye, many opportunities to strike they never see. Because they're not aware it's a possibility. or have been taught it's not effective. So, guy has your arm getting set up for an armbar that YOU know too, so you anticipate it, fear it, and struggle against it. Using your other sometimes free hand to "grapple" the arm out. Instead of punching the very vunerable face and corkscrewing your body out.

Or a guy is mounted on top of you and leans over to try to choke you or set up for the armbar, you know it, fear it, fight it. It never occurs to you to punch the heck out of the face right in arms reach of you.

It's all what your trained as skill and limitation...
When I was in JJJ I was taught that to save the wrist in a kotegashi wrist lock was to stop the hand or jump over my wrist, or "tap out" say maite.
Then hubbie taught me WC/WT way to get out of wrist lock. And I got scared, my mind was for years trained that it could not be done that way. And I wouldn't listen and complain that I'd break my own wrist. I did finally learn it, but it still freaks me out. Limitation of my mind.

So they're told when someone's mounting you that all you can hope to do is out grapple them so they can't hit you. So that takes from the mind the natural animal instict to strike and fight back. Other options are systematically trained out of them. Very limited in their thinking of "fighting strategy". We've shown them and tried to explain what we were doing as we did it. They've felt it, seen it work, still they find an excuse it won't "really" work. Their limited by their mind.

Some have come around and seen it, and stayed to train but very few, and they usually didn't train MMA long.
The same when you tell them about WC/WT takedown defense. The believe it when it's done on them, which I respect their want for "proof", but they still believe it can't really be done in a "real fight" because it takes a little longer to train and learn. Alot believe that techniques that are more "complicated" (again a limitation of the mind) and take longer to learn will be forgotten in the heat of "battle".
I've found this to NOT be so, I and hubbie have used this stuff in competition, hubbie alot in real war and battle, and didn't just forget all wing chun when the heat got turned up. The more you train it, the less you have to think about it, or "remember" it. It just happens.
They just don't see what we see. And you can't make them see it. When hubbie goes to fight and if he's taken to the ground and does the anti-grappling, they'll see what their mind can only accept. That he's really using BJJ, although what he'll do isn't BJJ far from it, and obvious.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I often practice chain punches while laying flat on the floor or on my back. Peolple say you can not generate power, Well you have to practice punching in all posistion. That way you can generate power in every aspect.

I am often fasinated by that, myself. It's so simple, and so "natural" to the human animal! Yet,
People are trained and taught limitations as well as fighting skill. Their TAUGHT that it is not powerful and impossible. But their punching style would not accomodate powerful punching in such a position.

But say, your a grappler, you train to grapple on the ground, very rarely do they punch while on the ground. And I watch these guys in competition in UFC and I see with a WC/WT trained eye, many opportunities to strike they never see. Because they're not aware it's a possibility. or have been taught it's not effective. So, guy has your arm getting set up for an armbar that YOU know too, so you anticipate it, fear it, and struggle against it. Using your other sometimes free hand to "grapple" the arm out. Instead of punching the very vunerable face and corkscrewing your body out.

Or a guy is mounted on top of you and leans over to try to choke you or set up for the armbar, you know it, fear it, fight it. It never occurs to you to punch the heck out of the face right in arms reach of you.

It's all what your trained as skill and limitation...
When I was in JJJ I was taught that to save the wrist in a kotegashi wrist lock was to stop the hand or jump over my wrist, or "tap out" say maite.
Then hubbie taught me WC/WT way to get out of wrist lock. And I got scared, my mind was for years trained that it could not be done that way. And I wouldn't listen and complain that I'd break my own wrist. I did finally learn it, but it still freaks me out. Limitation of my mind.

So they're told when someone's mounting you that all you can hope to do is out grapple them so they can't hit you. So that takes from the mind the natural animal instict to strike and fight back. Other options are systematically trained out of them. Very limited in their thinking of "fighting strategy". We've shown them and tried to explain what we were doing as we did it. They've felt it, seen it work, still they find an excuse it won't "really" work. Their limited by their mind.

Some have come around and seen it, and stayed to train but very few, and they usually didn't train MMA long.
The same when you tell them about WC/WT takedown defense. The believe it when it's done on them, which I respect their want for "proof", but they still believe it can't really be done in a "real fight" because it takes a little longer to train and learn. Alot believe that techniques that are more "complicated" (again a limitation of the mind) and take longer to learn will be forgotten in the heat of "battle".
I've found this to NOT be so, I and hubbie have used this stuff in competition, hubbie alot in real war and battle, and didn't just forget all wing chun when the heat got turned up. The more you train it, the less you have to think about it, or "remember" it. It just happens.
They just don't see what we see. And you can't make them see it. When hubbie goes to fight and if he's taken to the ground and does the anti-grappling, they'll see what their mind can only accept. That he's really using BJJ, although what he'll do isn't BJJ far from it, and obvious.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yepperz.
We practice chain punching while falling backwards, then "chain kicking" and chain punching, then still chainpunching as you get up to your feet. Killer drill! Works abs really good.
Plus chainpunch on back while chain kicking on your back keeping a half crunch or sitting on your haunches kicking at the same time. The ladies liked that one, I put it in the cardio "kickboxing" program right after they did crunches and leg lifts. killer.
Besides, someone on top of you in mount usually runs into your fists, their inertia adding to your punching power by lunging in to hit or grapple you. The harder they come in the harder they "hit themselves". lol!

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that sit up exercise I may have adopt it my self...

yepperz.
We practice chain punching while falling backwards, then "chain kicking" and chain punching, then still chainpunching as you get up to your feet. Killer drill! Works abs really good.
Plus chainpunch on back while chain kicking on your back keeping a half crunch or sitting on your haunches kicking at the same time. The ladies liked that one, I put it in the cardio "kickboxing" program right after they did crunches and leg lifts. killer.
Besides, someone on top of you in mount usually runs into your fists, their inertia adding to your punching power by lunging in to hit or grapple you. The harder they come in the harder they "hit themselves". lol!

Latest Discussions