SLT/SNT World Championship

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've just done SLT for 33 minutes, just doing the form once. Can anyone beat that today? :D

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just done SLT for 33 minutes, just doing the form once. Can anyone beat that today? :D

Thats a good effort , how are the legs holding up ?
Did you just go through the form ultra slowly , or did you just do the forward and back part many times and do the form at normal speed .

I don't know if you have heard of Randy Williams but I read somewhere that he sometimes does a thing he calls " The 108 " where he does each move of the form 108 times , you would probably have to take the phone off the hook and set aside a couple of hours for that one I imagine .

OP
P

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thats a good effort , how are the legs holding up ?
I turned into shaky legs man! It was a good workout.

I just did one tan sau - wu sau and then 3 fuk sau - wu saus on each side and I made the outward journey last 2 minutes same as the inward journey.

The Randy Williams 108 sounds interesting, I'll have a search for that.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to take each move from Sil Lim Tau and break it down and practice over and over again on each hand...around 25 to 50 times.

I turned into shaky legs man! It was a good workout.

I just did one tan sau - wu sau and then 3 fuk sau - wu saus on each side and I made the outward journey last 2 minutes same as the inward journey.

The Randy Williams 108 sounds interesting, I'll have a search for that.

OP
P

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I like to take each move from Sil Lim Tau and break it down and practice over and over again on each hand...around 25 to 50 times.
Do you ever do the movements super slowly or is it just at 'normal' speed?

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes sometimes I do it really slow but not too slow but I do it slowly with soft force. Other time I do it slowly with medium or hard force at end of the extension you know with a snap. I also use the breath or breathe naturally.

Do you ever do the movements super slowly or is it just at 'normal' speed?

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm still doing the form. been doing it since last week

I'm typing on the computer using my mind. That is what wing chun does for you...

OP
P

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm still doing the form. been doing it since last week

I'm typing on the computer using my mind. That is what wing chun does for you...
LOL, that really is high level!

I'm going to step up the one legged stuff and then reduce it even further :D

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
is the form supposed to be practiced that slowly?
i try to practice it whenever i can but it only takes me like 5 minutes to go through.

OP
P

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
is the form supposed to be practiced that slowly?
i try to practice it whenever i can but it only takes me like 5 minutes to go through.
Good question. I'm not sure that there's any 'recommended' time for doing it. Sometimes in class we do it for 10 minutes, sometimes we do it for 15. I found out recently that my sifu led a one legged siu lim tau session that lasted 90 minutes at one of our residentials (I didn't attend). That's swapping legs after each fuk sau - wu sau iteration, not one leg for the entire 90 mins!

The longer you do it, the stronger your legs get, I know that. Also, if you appreciate the meditative side of SLT, you can see the advantage of going longer.

There's another aspect though that I'm intrigued by - confrontation with pain, and how far you can push yourself. SLT can be a personal battle with yourself. If you can't push yourself in the comfort of a safe training environment then how can you be strong in a not so safe environment etc etc.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What are the advantages of doing Sil Lim Tau for longer periods?

Good question. I'm not sure that there's any 'recommended' time for doing it. Sometimes in class we do it for 10 minutes, sometimes we do it for 15. I found out recently that my sifu led a one legged siu lim tau session that lasted 90 minutes at one of our residentials (I didn't attend). That's swapping legs after each fuk sau - wu sau iteration, not one leg for the entire 90 mins!

The longer you do it, the stronger your legs get, I know that. Also, if you appreciate the meditative side of SLT, you can see the advantage of going longer.

There's another aspect though that I'm intrigued by - confrontation with pain, and how far you can push yourself. SLT can be a personal battle with yourself. If you can't push yourself in the comfort of a safe training environment then how can you be strong in a not so safe environment etc etc.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I can remember Sigung thinks that it comes from somewhere in the brain , just above the spine .

In other arts they would call it chi but we prefer thought force or determination force , it is a force that can only be generated and utilised at a very advanced level after many , many years of proper training.

By relaxing the entire body and with proper concentration of the mind the thought force can be directed to a specific part of the body and infused into your techniques to make them very powerful and effortless .

Do you need thought force ? Not for basic self defence no , but it is something to aspire to in the future , to be able to do the art at the highest level with out using muscular force and being able to generate an awesome amount of power , it is certainly something worth working towards .

He believes that the way to cultivate this force is to practice the Sil Lim Tao form with an internal contraction of the anal sphincter , this is called tei gong and to initiate each movement by driving it out with your mind , he also said to visualise force filling up your spine from the tei gong and travelling up to the top of the skull as you relax all your muscles and sink down.
I have heard that people who have touched his arm when he is generating Nim Lik say that it feels like he has spiders crawling under his skin , now of course you can take all of this with a grain of salt but I believe it to be true .

I know when you talk about this stuff that peoples eyes glaze over and they look at you like you just escaped from an institution but there are some things that cannot be explained by western science .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Westerners can not except concepts of Chi....But I love to hear others talk about the applications and cultivation of Chi...its excellent...

Question? What did you mean when you said: "with an internal contraction of the anal sphincter"

Please elaborate. I may know what you mean. But not the way you describe it?

From what I can remember Sigung thinks that it comes from somewhere in the brain , just above the spine .

In other arts they would call it chi but we prefer thought force or determination force , it is a force that can only be generated and utilised at a very advanced level after many , many years of proper training.

By relaxing the entire body and with proper concentration of the mind the thought force can be directed to a specific part of the body and infused into your techniques to make them very powerful and effortless .

Do you need thought force ? Not for basic self defence no , but it is something to aspire to in the future , to be able to do the art at the highest level with out using muscular force and being able to generate an awesome amount of power , it is certainly something worth working towards .

He believes that the way to cultivate this force is to practice the Sil Lim Tao form with an internal contraction of the anal sphincter , this is called tei gong and to initiate each movement by driving it out with your mind , he also said to visualise force filling up your spine from the tei gong and travelling up to the top of the skull as you relax all your muscles and sink down.
I have heard that people who have touched his arm when he is generating Nim Lik say that it feels like he has spiders crawling under his skin , now of course you can take all of this with a grain of salt but I believe it to be true .

I know when you talk about this stuff that peoples eyes glaze over and they look at you like you just escaped from an institution but there are some things that cannot be explained by western science .

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Westerners can not except concepts of Chi....But I love to hear others talk about the applications and cultivation of Chi...its excellent...

Question? What did you mean when you said: "with an internal contraction of the anal sphincter"

Please elaborate. I may know what you mean. But not the way you describe it?

With out being crude it is a slight contraction and drawing up of the muscles surrounding the anus . Let me put it another way , my Sifu described it like this , he said it was like you are trying to stop yourself from going to the toilet .

The purpose of this slight contraction is to lock the upper and lower halves of the body together as one unit , and it enables the muscles to relax to such a level that is needed to facilitate the cultivation of Nim Lik .

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whats the Chinese word for this...doesn't start with the letter C?

I can not remember it...I heard this Chen speak of this...

Its like having the pee...then all the sudden you hear your house is under attack or a tornado is heading this way so you have to stop your pee and then go down to fall out shelter right?

With out being crude it is a slight contraction and drawing up of the muscles surrounding the anus . Let me put it another way , my Sifu described it like this , he said it was like you are trying to stop yourself from going to the toilet .

The purpose of this slight contraction is to lock the upper and lower halves of the body together as one unit , and it enables the muscles to relax to such a level that is needed to facilitate the cultivation of Nim Lik .

Latest Discussions