What to do during a police encounter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
there is kind of an art form to getting a guys arms behind their back when they dont want to.

It isn't taught well in police school from what I have seen. So what happens is they try it. It obviously fail and so they go off reservation pretty much.

So here we go video of an idiot with a good enough takedown and control. Lost control of the arm repeatedly because trying the 70,s karate arm locks there.

That is part why guys get tazered or kicked and punched. They just run out of options. Very similar to going for the eyegouge from the bottom.

The issue is the the idiots wont stop being idiots. That is why we have a police force. I mean if I have to explain why you shouldn't behave like that then you probably have bigger issues than just being arrested.

So we have to set up the police so they can safely handle these guys. Safe for the officer, safe for the dumbbo.

The only confusion I get from people is they don't understand that no means I am going to fight you.

Can you do this please? No. = fight.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a really difficult occupation, being a cop. Seems to be getting more difficult with every passing year.
It's one of the few occupations where some folks will hate you for what you do for a living, regardless of how honest, helpful and hard working you are. Nobody hates the guy who runs the hardware store.

It hasn't been a field I advise people to go into in a long time. And I find that sad. Maybe it's a sign of the times, I dunno'.

Agree 100%

I don't talk about my work in front of my son because I don't want him growing up wanting to follow in my footsteps.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My safety? So you can punch me more easily? I'd really be thinking "yeah right" if the cop said that.
It is for your safety.

Let's say the officer doesn't handcuff you and in our hypothetical situation, you attack the officer. You are then going to be injured at any level from bumps and bruises up to being shot. If you are handcuffed, that (probably) won't happen.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That used to be common practice, I think. I'm not sure what all drove the decision to have only one in a car at a time. I've always thought being a cop got much scarier when they had to go solo.

Manpower issues. Cops doubled up means you need twice as many officers which means bigger budgets and more qualified candidates both of which is hard to come by.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That used to be common practice, I think. I'm not sure what all drove the decision to have only one in a car at a time. I've always thought being a cop got much scarier when they had to go solo.
It is. When I was a deputy sheriff, the only time we rode two in a car was my two weeks of "field training". After that, we flew solo. Backup was unpredictable and sometimes resulted in some, shall we say, interesting times.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It costs too much and it is not worth it.

The response I got anyway.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The thread - What to do during a police encounter...

If you're a a member of the public, or of you're a cop?

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The safest thing is to call your lawyer, and no talk until he arrive...

Sent from my BV8000Pro using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The safest thing is to call your lawyer, and no talk until he arrive...

That only works if you are being interviewed at a police station. Here you can get the duty solicitor to come in. Being arrested: your rights: Legal advice at the police station - GOV.UK

However if you are stopped on the street or while driving not speaking until you get legal representation is going to cause you some problems. If you refuse to do a breathalyser then you will be taken back to the station and charged anyway, totally stupid if you haven't been drinking. If you are being stopped by the police just so they can ask a couple of questions then you would be a fool not to answer, setting yourself up for obstruction charges. Why make life harder for yourself?

While the reasons for stopping this car aren't usual here, the way the police stop and react is typical, unless of course you get aggressive then you won't like the way they react, don't mistake their politeness and calmness for weakness.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That only works if you are being interviewed at a police station. Here you can get the duty solicitor to come in. Being arrested: your rights: Legal advice at the police station - GOV.UK

However if you are stopped on the street or while driving not speaking until you get legal representation is going to cause you some problems. If you refuse to do a breathalyser then you will be taken back to the station and charged anyway, totally stupid if you haven't been drinking. If you are being stopped by the police just so they can ask a couple of questions then you would be a fool not to answer, setting yourself up for obstruction charges. Why make life harder for yourself?

While the reasons for stopping this car aren't usual here, the way the police stop and react is typical, unless of course you get aggressive then you won't like the way they react, don't mistake their politeness and calmness for weakness.
Good advice there.
I just happened been in situation when the law enforcer did the road inspection, they forced to search inside the vehicle, and found something that hadn't been there, and pushed me to do underhand bargain or being charged.
After that i consulted my lawyer friend and he said if something like that happened again, be polite, park the vehicle, then call and let him do the talking to the officer.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
After that i consulted my lawyer friend and he said if something like that happened again, be polite, park the vehicle, then call and let him do the talking to the officer

In the U.S.? If so that is not gonna work...lol.

I have 18 years experience and have worked patrol, detectives, and narcotics the best advice if you have done nothing wrong then talk.....if you are guilty then your two options are lawyering up or tall and seek help through cooperation.

Personally....if I was ever to do something stupid and illegal.......i'm snitching on everyone because that is the easiest way to stay out of jail.

Plus I'm big on when you screw up....owning up to it and taking your lick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good advice there.
I just happened been in situation when the law enforcer did the road inspection, they forced to search inside the vehicle, and found something that hadn't been there, and pushed me to do underhand bargain or being charged.
After that i consulted my lawyer friend and he said if something like that happened again, be polite, park the vehicle, then call and let him do the talking to the officer.

If you are saying you have corrupt police officers then I doubt talking to your lawyer will help frankly.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And it's not in US.
Here sometimes the winner is who bark the loudest (who knows who), at least for unofficial road inspection, but know to toe the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions