What the hell is this

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
here's a clip of some 52 blocks sparring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEAX6CQ45o&feature=related

basically it looks like rudimentary boxing with heavy emphasis on a stylized cross arm defense. really not too bad for something spontaneously created. but look to archie moore for a better, more effective example of the cross arm:

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So it's an "working class" phenomena used many by non-whites? Lots of feints and links to dance. Any links to Capoeria?
To the first part, apparently, but limited mostly to African Americans. As to any connection to Capoeira, none that I know of, but it's possible. Seeing as how the connections between Capoeira and B-boying are vague and inconclusive, it'd be even harder to link it to Jailhouse or '52 blocks'.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
here's a clip of some 52 blocks sparring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zEAX6CQ45o&feature=related

basically it looks like rudimentary boxing with heavy emphasis on a stylized cross arm defense. really not too bad for something spontaneously created. but look to archie moore for a better, more effective example of the cross arm:

jf
I've watched those sparring videos, it's not a great example. But if you youtube '52 blocks' you get such a diverse array of responses it's hard to pin down. There are claims of multiple styles, there are claims that it doesn't exist, there are claims that it did but is dead now, there are claims that it's a myth and people claiming it are just using the name as a marketing tool. Like I said lots of conflicting info and bs. All I can say for sure, from my experience, is that there is a stylized form of slap-boxing that has been popular for a while in the African American community that has a basis in boxing, but throws in a lot of others elements. I don't know how many people can actually claim to specific factual knowledge, but this is what I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions