What Style

What CMA do you take ( mulitiple Choices are allowed)

• Praying Mantis ( Northern & Southern )

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Wing Chun

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Eagle Claw

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Hung Gar

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Monkey

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Choy Li Fut

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Tai Chi Chuan

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Pa Kwa

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • White Crane

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • Other ( please list what style in your post )

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Northern 7* praying mantis also.

I tried out several different arts in the area, but I liked this style, and especially this group of people, much more than anywhere else.

Darksoul, who are you studying under?

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Sifu Brian Bateman at the Rochester Shaolin Training Academy, part of the Kung-Fu Exchange under Sifu Raymond Fogg.

A---)

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started San Soo last summer - I really dig it.

I practiced Aikido (3 years) and kickboxing (1 year) perviously.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Darksoul said:
-Sifu Brian Bateman at the Rochester Shaolin Training Academy, part of the Kung-Fu Exchange under Sifu Raymond Fogg.

Cool--my group is part of the Exchange, too. I study under sifu Jeff Hughes in Austin.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CMack11 said:
Cool--my group is part of the Exchange, too. I study under sifu Jeff Hughes in Austin.

We need to get alot of the exchange guys and girls on here!

7sm

OP
M

MartialMom

I practice the Lightning Fire Mountain System of Kung Fu which consists of Tiger, Charging White Crane, Cobra and Dragon styles in one system.

OP
V

Vanilla Heath-Bar Crunch

7starmantis said:
I study taiji and 7 star preying mantis. I've allways studied CMA but mantis only the last several years.

7sm
Hey 7*...
Who do you study Taiji Tanglang under?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Vanilla Heath-Bar Crunch said:
Hey 7*...
Who do you study Taiji Tanglang under?
Sorry I wasn't clear I study Yang and Chen Tai Chi and I also study 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu. I dont study Taiji Tanglang.

I study these under Brandon Jones of the U.S. Kung Fu Exchange.

7sm

OP
P

pakua

white mantis said:
Seems we have a lot of Tai Chi People here. Not thats a bad thing :uhyeah:
I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that TCC is an MA! But we had a seminar last weekend and saw some videos of some masters, and watching those guys is impressive. One old dude was pushing a huge younger guy clear across the room with hardly any visible effort. Another guy was so rooted that 5 guys couldn't push him over! Maybe I'll be that good when I'm 90?

OP
R

RHD

pakua said:
I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact that TCC is an MA! But we had a seminar last weekend and saw some videos of some masters, and watching those guys is impressive. One old dude was pushing a huge younger guy clear across the room with hardly any visible effort. Another guy was so rooted that 5 guys couldn't push him over! Maybe I'll be that good when I'm 90?

Cool, glad you're seeing that it is a martial art.
Here's a tip:
Pushing somone across the room is only scratching the surface of the martial potential in Tai Chi Chuan

Mike

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am beginning Chuan Fa; but, my sifu states all the forms are Hung Gar.

I've also studied TKD

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I am beginning Chuan Fa; but, my sifu states all the forms are Hung Gar.

I've also studied TKD
Welcome to MartialTalk, OnlyAnEgg. Its good to have you, I look forward to reading many posts from you. Take a look around, there is quite a bit of good information here, and if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask.

-MT Mod -
7starmantis
Adam C

OP
J

j_m

Just found this forum and thought I'd pipe in since there seem to be quite a few other Texas folks here.

I currently study/train in Chang Quan and Pigua Quan with a pinch of Baji thrown in just for fun :wink2: .

jm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
j_m said:
Just found this forum and thought I'd pipe in since there seem to be quite a few other Texas folks here.

I currently study/train in Chang Quan and Pigua Quan with a pinch of Baji thrown in just for fun :wink2: .

jm
Welcome to you as well. I'm glad you found the site. Take a look around there are many knowledgeable people here with many years of experience. Look forward to reading posts from you as well.

- MT Mod -
7starmantis
Adam C

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
J_M, Welcome to MartialTalk.Com!!! You'll find lots of information about various topics in all the forums, including, oddly enough, the martial arts;-) We have a good group here in the Chinese Arts section from various places. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

A---)

OP
J

j_m

Thanks for the welcomes. Seems to be a few Kung Fu Exchange people around here. I've met Raymond Fogg a couple of times when he visited my teacher/school. Very nice gentleman. I hear his kung fu is good to! :ultracool I think I also stopped in an affiliated school out in Tyler, TX a few years back and briefly talked with the instuctor there... Brandon Jones maybe? (oh, my poor memory!) Really nice guy too.

Looking forward to what goes on here...

jm

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
j_m said:
Thanks for the welcomes. Seems to be a few Kung Fu Exchange people around here. I've met Raymond Fogg a couple of times when he visited my teacher/school. Very nice gentleman. I hear his kung fu is good to! :ultracool I think I also stopped in an affiliated school out in Tyler, TX a few years back and briefly talked with the instuctor there... Brandon Jones maybe? (oh, my poor memory!) Really nice guy too.

Looking forward to what goes on here...

jm
Yes, there are a few KFE people lingering around here. Who is your teacher, may I ask? I train with Brandon Jones here in Tyler. Nice to have you here, I would be interested in hearing your martial arts background if your up for telling it.

7sm

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Welcome to MartialTalk, OnlyAnEgg.

-MT Mod -
7starmantis
Adam C
Thank you for the howdy-do's. I'm happy to be here. I feel I must state that I will not begin training for several more weeks (Post-Christmas), though I have started conditioning in order to better commit to grasping the training rather than simply enduring the training. I would love to hear from other Hung Gar practitioners. Being something of a clod, I would appreciate any and all insights ;)

Thank you

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a few Hung gar practitioners on here with some really great understanding and knowledge. I think you will enjoy discussing with them.

7sm

Latest Discussions