What skills should every person have

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of the local talk radio guy's topics this week was "What should be taught for a semester in school?"
A lot of things were mentioned. It was very interesting. IMHO, the question should be: "What skills should every person have?"
  • Drive a nail
  • use a handsaw
  • find a stud
  • change a tire
  • basic sewing
  • phonetic spelling NATO alphabet
What would you add?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
CPR/basic first aid
Check-writing
Swimming
Wire the DVR/VCR/DVD player/Playstation to the TV (my kids still ask my wife to do this for them)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Start a fire

Know at least one method of purifying water

Tie basic knots (square, clove, figure eight)

Jump start a car

Cook something

Basic first aid

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ability to present a reasoned argument in support of their position.
How to count change.
The ability to "own" their actions without making excuses.
The ability to place honesty before expedience.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Respect and courtesy, from this many other things will fall into place.
Verbal communication.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good things listed here. Building on many of the skills listed I would also say basic navigation and map reading. People shouldn't be dependent on GPS. It's rather looking like everyone agrees people should have Boy Scout skills. :)

I would also include being literate and able to do basic 8th grade (or what was 8th grade 30 years ago) algebra. Far to many people "graduate" from school functionally illiterate and incapable of basic math.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good things listed here. Building on many of the skills listed I would also say basic navigation and map reading. People shouldn't be dependent on GPS. It's rather looking like everyone agrees people should have Boy Scout skills. :)

I would also include being literate and able to do basic 8th grade (or what was 8th grade 30 years ago) algebra. Far to many people "graduate" from school functionally illiterate and incapable of basic math.

Yep, pretty much Boy Scout skills:
GPS can fail you (does so rather often), map reading is really helpful.
be able to cook a simple meal that's not from a box/can
sew small repairs, like putting buttons back on, mend a small tear.
Fire, yes, never bad to know that
basic first aid.
communication with people without gadgets - you know, face to face interaction.
basic animal behavior: why it is a bad idea to charge a dog you are unfamiliar with...
reading and writing, past the basics.
basic math, counting change
balancing a checkbook. No need to write checks anymore.
Budgeting.
What does a normal person need army/nato alphabet for?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I guess it depends upon whether we expect civilization to collapse. I have faith that it won't, so the survival type skills are more nice to know than need to know, IMO.

Personally, things I think every person should know, in no particular order and off the top of my head:

Reading.
How to balance and manage personal budget, and understand debt.
How to cook at home.
How to change a flat.
How to unclog a drain without using drano.
How to look things up on the Internet.
How to distinguish between a fact and an opinion.
Basic first aid.
How to operate a fire extinguisher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a Heinlein quote:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that the repertoire of Boy Scout level skills are highly important if nothing else they teach self sufficiency and independent thought processes. However, I still like to fall back on Heinlein when I get asked this question.

[h=1]“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.”​[/h]

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think that the repertoire of Boy Scout level skills are highly important if nothing else they teach self sufficiency and independent thought processes. However, I still like to fall back on Heinlein when I get asked this question.

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.”​

Great minds think alike....

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And for those incapable of learning any of the things listed previously, I recommend a crash-course in birth control.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And for those incapable of learning any of the things listed previously, I recommend a crash-course in birth control.

Diet Coke, fyi, does NOT feel good coming out your nose.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
One more skill:
manners:
answer emails
return calls
RSVP when invited.

Latest Discussions